It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V08-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16219 [1], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
V08-07 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:09) correct 61% (00:53) wrong based on 61 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts, they sported ethnic delicacies, choicest of cocktails, and randy performances by courtesans

A. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts, they sported
B. Parties were held in the courts of the later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, which featured
C. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites in their courts, held parties sporting
D. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts that sported
E. In their courts, the later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties that sported
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16219 [1], given: 1953

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16219 [0], given: 1953

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Re V08-07 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 12:29
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts, they sported ethnic delicacies, choicest of cocktails, and randy performances by courtesans

A. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts, they sported
B. Parties were held in the courts of the later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, which featured
C. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites in their courts, held parties sporting
D. The later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties in their courts that sported
E. In their courts, the later generation Roman kings, flamboyant sybarites, held parties that sported

A: A run- on sentence

B: flamboyant sybarites, which featured --- Relative pronoun touch rule foul

C: flamboyant sybarites in their courts—wrong diction: If they were sybarites only in their courts, what were they outside their courts?

D: their courts that sported—courts do not sport delicacies

E. held parties that sported --- correct modification and correct choice

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16219 [0], given: 1953

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: V08-07 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 22:37
How can that singular pronoun refer to parties "a plural pronoun"??

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3082 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2016, 09:59
chetanyasahu1 wrote:
How can that singular pronoun refer to parties "a plural pronoun"??

"That", when used as relative pronoun, can refer to both singular and plural noun. Run a search in OG - you will find plenty of such usages.

Kudos [?]: 3082 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re V08-07 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 21:25
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I do not understand why D is out and E is OK.
In choice D, in explanation, it says that "that" refers to courts. However, I think that "in their courts" is modifier for the noun "parties", so that can refer to "parties" unambiguously. So D should also be a correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 01:13
Shogo1130 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. I do not understand why D is out and E is OK.
In choice D, in explanation, it says that "that" refers to courts. However, I think that "in their courts" is modifier for the noun "parties", so that can refer to "parties" unambiguously. So D should also be a correct answer.

You are absolutely correct that "IN THEIR COURTS" is modifier that is modifying PARTIES. But, PLACEMENT of THAT is incorrect LOGICALLY.

Answer following question,
WHAT sported delicacies, cocktails ????? Is it PARTIES or COURTS....??
I guess your answer would be PARTIES....
But, as per option D, the answer is COURTS...

In option E, placement of THAT is correct, conveying intended meaning.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 114

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 12:24
Could some one explain me why the answer is E and not D. I Could not understand the previous explanations for the question.

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 114

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 13:12
Kritesh wrote:
Could some one explain me why the answer is E and not D. I Could not understand the previous explanations for the question.

Easy;

ask a question is it court that sported delicacies etc.

or parties that sported ethnic delicacies.

(D says Court that sported and therfore is ambigous)

Sent from my SM-A700FD using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 02:46
Here is my take:
a) Two sentence with clauses connected by a comma- incorrect grammatical constructions.
b) Which needs to refer back to parties: no way is that possible in this option.
c) Incorrect meaning- as if they were only sybarites in the courts.
d) vs e) This one was tough, but I ll say that we see two options- one in which that is very close to the word "parties"- word it needs to modify. Chose the case that does best justice to the construction- chose E.

Right Answer : E

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 33

Re: V08-07   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2017, 02:46

V08-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap