GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V10-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Retail Banking)
Re: V10-13  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 06:42
Experts, please, can we count on your thoughts? mikemcgarry daagh Bunuel GMATNinja

My 2 questions are:
1) What causes the misunderstanding, is the question poorly formulated or is it something with my English and reading skills?
2) If the question is poorly formulated, then how likely is that you will come across a similarly ambiguous question in the real exam?

Dear All,

I think that none of the answer choices could strengthen the conclusion w/o further question and this a poor-quality question.

My take is:
A: not relevant
B: not relevant
C: weakens
D: not relevant
E: strengthens - with reservations

As per my understanding, the following causes the misunderstanding:
1) "Electrician Magazine surveyed 1,000 electricians who had passed an advanced certification exam." IMO this means that the survey includes 1k people who all passed the exam, and there were n other people who took the exam but failed. These n people are not included in the 1k people who were surveyed.
2) "The electricians in the survey all took the exam shortly after reaching five years of experience as an electrician" IMO and according to those who are against C, 'The electricians in the survey' refers to only the 1k people, and not to the 1k+n people.
3) What I read from the comments is that supporters of C think that 'The electricians in the survey' refers to the 1k+n people.

BTW, I choose E because if many people have different qualifications then the number of hours spent with studying might be relevant, but I was not convinced. Neither the passage nor any other answer choice says anything about points and correlations - after reading the passage and before reading the answer choices, I thought that points&correlation will play a role. It might be the case that either the other n people also had 5 years of relevant experience and went to the exam without preparation and - therefore - failed, so C is right (but I think that we do not know anything about the other n people), or the other n people had relevant qualification and studied 9999 hours yet failed because they had a terrible headache mixed with hangover during the exam, so D does not strengthen (again, I think that we do not know anything about the other n people).

In sum, I think that this is a poor-quality question. Can admins remove this Q from the GMAT Club Test Center Q-Bank?

Cheers and many thanks in advance,
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V10-13  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 09:18
Resad95 wrote:
bb wrote:
Electrician Magazine surveyed 1,000 electricians who had passed an advanced certification exam. The magazine asked the electricians how many hours they had studied for the exam. It was found that 700 of those who passed had studied for more than 50 hours, and 300 had studied for less than 50 hours. The magazine concluded that the more hours an electrician studied for the exam, the more likely they were to pass.

Which of the following would most strengthen the conclusion of the magazine?

A. Some of the electricians in the survey actually studied more than 100 hours
B. Many of those surveyed thought the exam was unnecessary and did not reflect on their ability as electricians
C. The electricians in the survey all took the exam shortly after reaching five years of experience as an electrician
D. Some of the electricians in the survey had also completed a 24-hour course in electronics
E. About half of the electricians in the survey had college degrees in a variety of fields

Damn!!! this question is very good 8-)

Answer C, actually acts as a defender, it excludes any other possibilities and factors that could undermine the magazine's conclusion (acting like a shield and strengthens). Hell Yeah !!!

I enjoyed this question very much)) KUDOS to author

I don't think so. What about their natural abilities or their workload (one can work 10 hours a week and sell drugs, while the other works his butt off 16 hours a day, in this case, their experience is incomparable, but both of them reached 5 years of it). There are more other options, when this logic won't work. I didn't answer this question.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V10-13   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2019, 09:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

V10-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel