It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-01

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16496
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 10:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (00:54) correct 28% (00:40) wrong based on 46 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Group climate, as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying critical or non-critical thinking behaviors in learning processes.

A. , as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying
B. and also individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
C. , as well as individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
D. , along with individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying
E. and individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 16496
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 10:05
Official Solution:

Group climate, as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying critical or non-critical thinking behaviors in learning processes.

A. , as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying
B. and also individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
C. , as well as individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
D. , along with individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying
E. and individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying


(A) “are” - plural verb does not match “Group climate as well as individual factors” - singular subject. Quoted to be - non idiomatic.

(B) X and also Y structure is incorrect - in presence of "and", the word "also" is redundant. Moreover "to apply" sounds intentional rather than conveying the intended meaning (Part of learning process).

(C) Subject-verb agreement error as in A and infinitve ("to apply") error as in B are repeated. Additionally this sentence introduces a new error with improper usage of "like" instead of "such as" to show examples.

(D) Subject-verb agreement error as in A and improper usage of "like" as in C are repeated.

(E) Correct: fixes all the errors mentioned above.


Answer: E
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 125
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 21:16
the answer is just the original sentence given. just a heads up that there's no answer given.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1199
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 10:18
bb wrote:
Official Solution:

Group climate, as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying critical or non-critical thinking behaviors in learning processes.

A. , as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying
B. and also individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
C. , as well as individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
D. , along with individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying
E. and individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying


(A) “are” - plural verb does not match “Group climate as well as individual factors” - singular subject. Quoted to be - non idiomatic.

(B) X and also Y structure is incorrect. Also to apply sounds intentional instead of intended meaning (Part of learning process.)

(C) Subject verb error repeats from A and to apply error repeats from B.
Additionally this sentence introduces an new error with improper usage of Like to show examples instead of such as.

(D) repeats Subject verb from A and infinitive verb error from B.


(E) Correct: fixes all the errors mentioned above.


Answer: E


bb can we update the solution for B, C and D options as in colored portion above.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 13:21
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
bb wrote:
Official Solution:

Group climate, as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying critical or non-critical thinking behaviors in learning processes.

A. , as well as individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted to be potential determinants in applying
B. and also individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
C. , as well as individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants to apply
D. , along with individual affective factors, like motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying
E. and individual affective factors, such as motivation and attitude, are often quoted as potential determinants in applying


(A) “are” - plural verb does not match “Group climate as well as individual factors” - singular subject. Quoted to be - non idiomatic.

(B) X and also Y structure is incorrect. Also to apply sounds intentional instead of intended meaning (Part of learning process.)

(C) Subject verb error repeats from A and to apply error repeats from B.
Additionally this sentence introduces an new error with improper usage of Like to show examples instead of such as.

(D) repeats Subject verb from A and infinitive verb error from B.


(E) Correct: fixes all the errors mentioned above.


Answer: E


bb can we update the solution for B, C and D options as in colored portion above.


Updated as per your suggestions. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2015
Posts: 5
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 10:42
Working from wrong to right:
A. Non idiomatic "Quoted to be"
B. Non Idiomatic "To apply"
C. Uses Like for examples, wrong.
D. Same as C
E. Correct
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Sep 2016
Posts: 23
Reviews Badge
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 05:46
Hey guys,

Considering choice A, can someone explain me the reason behind “Group climate as well as individual factors” being singular? Are all combinations of "X as well as Y" singular? Or does it depend on the plurality of X?

Thanks
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3315
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-01 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 01:13
stan3544 wrote:
Hey guys,

Considering choice A, can someone explain me the reason behind “Group climate as well as individual factors” being singular? Are all combinations of "X as well as Y" singular? Or does it depend on the plurality of X?

Thanks


The phrase "as well as Y" is a modifier of "X" and does not change the number of X.
Re: V11-01   [#permalink] 01 May 2017, 01:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V11-01

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.