It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17611 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:21
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:29) correct 54% (01:38) wrong based on 59 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

A. Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.
B. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table it would officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, and which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.
C. Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715 will be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, announced US based minor planet center (MPC) in its journal.
D. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table, it will officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English.
E. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:21
Official Solution:

Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

A. Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it will officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.
B. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table it would officially name minor planet number 207715 as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, and which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007.
C. Discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, minor planet number 207715 will be officially named in the international minor planet table as “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, announced US based minor planet center (MPC) in its journal.
D. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that in the international minor planet table, it will officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English.
E. US based minor planet center (MPC) announced in its journal that it would officially name minor planet number 207715, which was discovered by the scientists from the Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) on September 11, 2007, “Muqin Shuijao”, which means “water cellar for mothers” in English, in the international minor planet table.

A. The modifier Discovered by the….. 2007 wrongly modifies US based minor planet center The usage ...announced in its journal that it will….. is wrong. Correct is …..announced in its journal that it would…..

The idiom name sb/sth as sb/sth is used to mean identify (The killer has been named as Mr. John Brown) or to mean select (Mr.John Brown has been named as the president). However for the purpose of giving a name to something or somebody, no preposition is used (I named my son John).

B. The idiom name as is incorrect. The modifier which was discovered by the scientists…..2007 wrongly modifies the term Muqin Shuijao. It appears that the term Muqin Shuijao was discovered by the scientists, whereas it is intended to mean that the minor planet number 207715 was discovered by the scientists.

C. .….will be…., announced…. is wrong for the reason described in A above. The idiom name as is incorrect.

D. ….announced that…will be… is incorrect.

Correct. E. All above errors are eliminated.

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:45
The usage ...announced in its journal that it will….. is wrong. Correct is …..announced in its journal that it would…..

Pls correct me : Will is used for the confirmed status and would for the things to be done but not very sure.....

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 12:27
I understand the explanation. But I have a doubt in option E.
For option E the first which phrase - "Which was discovered ..." is a non essential modifer??

It looks like an essential modifer. If so it should not be placed in a which clause? How can one be sure that a particular modifer is an essetial or non essential modifer and even more important question - Should we be eliminating answers based on this?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3505 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 06:45
korhiyatryinghard wrote:
I understand the explanation. But I have a doubt in option E.
For option E the first which phrase - "Which was discovered ..." is a non essential modifer??

It looks like an essential modifer. If so it should not be placed in a which clause? How can one be sure that a particular modifer is an essetial or non essential modifer and even more important question - Should we be eliminating answers based on this?

It is a non-essential modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not change the meaning of the sentence. Without the modifier the sentence would mean:

MPC would officially name minor planet number 207715 "Muqin Shuijao”.

The modifier describes something extra about "minor planet number 207715 ". It is not defining the minor planet - an essential modifier would define the noun it refers to.

Non-essential: I hate dogs, which bark.... means: I hate all dogs and all dogs bark. The modifier "which bark" is additional information about the dogs.
Essential: I hate dogs that bark...... means : I hate only those dogs that bark. The modifier defines what I hate.

Kudos [?]: 3505 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 22:39
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. is announced always followed by would ?

announcement can be done for certain event also and thus usage of "will" will be appropriate.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3505 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
yogeshrjn wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. is announced always followed by would ?

announcement can be done for certain event also and thus usage of "will" will be appropriate.

No.. this is one important SC rule. If a statement contains a verb in future, then the tense of the verb inside the statement depends on the tense of the statement.

a statement in present takes "will".
a statement is past takes " would"... (because it states future from the perspective of past - so past form of "will" is used).

He says that he will do it.
He said that he would do it. (does not matter whether the doing happens in future from now)

An extension of the above rule:
a statement in present takes a simple past.
a statement in past takes a past perfect.

The point is one must take all the verbs one step backward in tense.

Kudos [?]: 3505 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

CAT Tests
V11-13 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 23:52
sayantanc2k wrote:
yogeshrjn wrote:

No.. this is one important SC rule. If a statement contains a verb in future, then the tense of the verb inside the statement depends on the tense of the statement.

a statement in present takes "will".
a statement is past takes " would"... (because it states future from the perspective of past - so past form of "will" is used).

He says that he will do it.
He said that he would do it. (does not matter whether the doing happens in future from now)

An extension of the above rule:
a statement in present takes a simple past.
a statement in past takes a past perfect.

The point is one must take all the verbs one step backward in tense.

Hi sayantanc2k,

Can you please explain the last statement a little further i.e. "The point is one must [i]take all the verbs one step backward in tense". I agree with all the explanation you gave before the last sentence. Please help w.r.t. the last line.

Thanks,
Vinayak

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 21

V11-13   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2017, 23:52

V11-13

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap