Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 14:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V11-14

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-14  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (00:28) correct 42% (00:27) wrong based on 128 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The latest investigation proves that either the building-owner or his tenants are to be accounted for yesterday’s fire that burnt as long as or longer than four hours.

A. to be accounted for yesterday’s fire that burnt as long as or longer than
B. accounted for yesterday’s fire, which burnt at least as long as
C. held accountable for yesterday’s fire, which burnt longer or as long as
D. accountable for yesterday’s fire, which burnt at least as long as
E. to be held accountable for yesterday’s fire that burnt longer than or at least as long as

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V11-14  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 08:25
Official Solution:

The latest investigation proves that either the building-owner or his tenants are to be accounted for yesterday’s fire that burnt as long as or longer than four hours.

E. to be held accountable for yesterday’s fire that burnt longer than or at least as long as

A. The idiom accountable for, not accounted for, is used to mean responsible for . The phrase as long as or longer than is unnecessarily wordy and awkward.

B. The idiom accounted for is incorrect.

C. To hold someone accountable for something means to consider someone responsible for something. The investigation proves that someone is accountable for the fire. The investigation is not meant to prove that someone is held accountable for the fire.

than is missing for the comparative adjective longer. Even with the than, the phrase would be wordy.
Correct.
D. The idiom accountable for is correctly used. The phrase at least as long as presents the intended meaning most economically.

E. The phrase longer than and at least as long as are redundant.

Answer: D
Re: V11-14  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 05:41
As per the explanation provided for option C, am i right in understanding that the meaning of the sentence changes entirely by using the word "held accountable"?

secondly, if the answer to my first query was affirmative, then even option e can be rejected for similar reason. Right?

Third, in gmat exam how is possible to infer the correct meaning of the sentence. Any tip to make it easy?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
V11-14  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 07:18
KR12345 wrote:
As per the explanation provided for option C, am i right in understanding that the meaning of the sentence changes entirely by using the word "held accountable"?

secondly, if the answer to my first query was affirmative, then even option e can be rejected for similar reason. Right?

Third, in gmat exam how is possible to infer the correct meaning of the sentence. Any tip to make it easy?

1. Yes

2. Right.

3. It has not been mentioned in any official guideline that the correct answer must retain the meaning of the original sentence. If there is only one grammatically correct choice, it must be selected even when it deviates in meaning from the original. However if there are two grammatically correct sentences, select the one that agrees with the intended meaning of the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
D
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 11:00
I am note sure why B is wrong. as far as i know "accounted for" isn't an incorrect idiom. D sounds good, but need to be clear...
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2016, 09:16
nahid78 wrote:
I am note sure why B is wrong. as far as i know "accounted for" isn't an incorrect idiom. D sounds good, but need to be clear...

The phrase " X is accounted for" is used to mean that it is known where X is or what happened to X. e.g., After the earthquake, 10 of the inhabitants could not be accounted for. This usage is inappropriate here.

The phrase "held accountable for" means "held responsible for". This meaning is correct in this context.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 13:03
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

A. The idiom accountable for, not accounted for, is used to mean responsible for . The phrase as long as or longer than is unnecessarily wordy and awkward.

B. The idiom accounted for is incorrect.

C. To hold someone accountable for something means to consider someone responsible for something. The investigation proves that someone is accountable for the fire. The investigation is not meant to prove that someone is held accountable for the fire.

than is missing for the comparative adjective longer. Even with the than, the phrase would be wordy.
Correct.
D. The idiom accountable for is correctly used. The phrase at least as long as presents the intended meaning most economically.

E. The phrase longer than and at least as long as are redundant.

Answer: D

how, account for also means responsible for as i know..?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V11-14   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2019, 13:03

V11-14

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel