It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V11-22

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17069 [0], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 11:11
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (01:28) correct 81% (00:45) wrong based on 117 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the last press conference, the production manager declared that the factory had not only more efficient assembly lines than before, it also had faster packaging machines, that have reduced the cost of manufacturing by 16%.

A. more efficient assembly lines than before, it also had faster packaging machines, that have reduced the
B. more efficient assembly lines than before, but also had faster packaging machines, reducing the
C. assembly lines more efficient than before, but had faster packaging machines also, resulting in a reduction of the
D. more efficient assembly lines than before, but also faster packaging machines, resulting in a reduced
E. assembly lines more efficient than before, but faster packaging machines also, resulting in a reduction in the
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17069 [1], given: 1963

Re V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:

In the last press conference, the production manager declared that the factory had not only more efficient assembly lines than before, it also had faster packaging machines, that have reduced the cost of manufacturing by 16%.

A. more efficient assembly lines than before, it also had faster packaging machines, that have reduced the
B. more efficient assembly lines than before, but also had faster packaging machines, reducing the
C. assembly lines more efficient than before, but had faster packaging machines also, resulting in a reduction of the
D. more efficient assembly lines than before, but also faster packaging machines, resulting in a reduced
E. assembly lines more efficient than before, but faster packaging machines also, resulting in a reduction in the

A. Faulty parallelism structure- the factory had not only ……, it also had…. The expression more efficient assembly lines than before does not clarify whether there are more number of assembly lines that are efficient or the assembly lines are more efficient. The modifier that have reduced…wrongly refers to packaging machines, whereas it is intended to express that having assembly lines more efficient than before (or more assembly lines that are efficient) and faster packing machines has reduced the cost of manufacturing.

B. Faulty parallelism structure- the factory had not only ……, but also had…. The expression more efficient assembly lines than before does not clarify whether there are more number of assembly lines that are efficient or the assembly lines are more efficient.

C. Faulty parallelism structure- the factory had not only ……, but had……also

D. The expression more efficient assembly lines than before does not clarify whether there are more number of assembly lines that are efficient or the assembly lines are more efficient.
The expression …resulting in a reduced cost..by 16% is awkward. Better is ..resulting in a reduction in cost…by 16%.
E. Correct. Corrects all the errors above.

Answer: E

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17069 [1], given: 1963

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 961

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 19:25
The sentence doesn't have an underlined portion. please fix as the answer doesn't make sense at the moment - thanks!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 961

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 10:00

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 12:09
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [3], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Your correct answer is undiomatic - not only x...but x also...

The correct idiom - not only x...but also y...

Kudos [?]: 3 [3], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 14:34
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I thought when using idioms like "not only X but also Y", X and Y has to be in parallel form. In answer choice E, "assembly lines more efficient than before" and "faster packaging machines" are not parallel. How does that work?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3321 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 12:24
Jak5189 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Your correct answer is undiomatic - not only x...but x also...

The correct idiom - not only x...but also y...

The phrasing "but x also" and "but also x" are grammatically equivalent. There is no issue on that regard.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V11-22 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 12:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chenluqiao wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I thought when using idioms like "not only X but also Y", X and Y has to be in parallel form. In answer choice E, "assembly lines more efficient than before" and "faster packaging machines" are not parallel. How does that work?

X = assembly lines
Y = packaging machines

Both are nouns and hence the parallelism is alright.

The relative clause "(which is) more efficient than before" is a modifier for "assembly lines". Adding a modifier to one of the parallel elements (or to both) does not affect the parallelism.

(Also note that it is a common stylistic practice to drop the relative pronoun from a relative clause.)

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 18:49
shirehobbit wrote:
this question seems incorrect as in option E does not use the idiom "not only but also" correctly.

The idiom is correct - "but...... also" is alright.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 01:32
Quote:
not only more efficient assembly lines than before

As stated in the OE this sentence has ambiguity in the meaning i.e whether there are more number of assembly lines that are efficient or the assembly lines are more efficient. Both options seem to make sense then how can you pick one over the other? Should one stick to the original sentence in the question?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 93

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 09:09
Shiridip wrote:
Quote:
not only more efficient assembly lines than before

As stated in the OE this sentence has ambiguity in the meaning i.e whether there are more number of assembly lines that are efficient or the assembly lines are more efficient. Both options seem to make sense then how can you pick one over the other? Should one stick to the original sentence in the question?

E does not have ambiguity. In E it is clear that the assembly lines are more efficient (not that there are more assembly lines.)
A,B and D can be eliminated because of the ambiguity. Between C and E, C has parallelism error. Hence E is correct: no ambiguity and correct parallelism.

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 03:02
mikemcgarry: Hey Mike- can you please help me chose between option D and E. the correct answer mentioned is CHoice E, but I am having a hard time to digest this. Please throw some light. Thanks always.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 33

Re: V11-22   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2017, 03:02

V11-22

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap