Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 13:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 13:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5139 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: V152 Q166 on GRE after GMAT prep - Should I give GRE a go? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi mooshigooshi,

First off, a 710 is an outstanding overall Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest (or taking the GRE) is probably not necessary. You're ultimately asking an Admissions question though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in studying/taking the GRE - it's just a matter of whether that time, money and effort might be better spent on other aspects of your application. You already seem to understand that the GRE does place a much greater emphasis on a Test Taker's vocabulary knowledge (including when to use certain words instead of others) - and the Quant section has its own special question type (they're called Quantitative Comparisons - QCs - that can be approached with similar Tactics to those that you can use on DS questions).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When did you take your 2 Official GMATs and how did you score on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?
2) How long have you studied in total?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22085 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
What is the average GRE score at your desired program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight wrote:
Quote:
So, I recently got done with my GMAT (2nd attempt) and got a max of 710. While that meets the average of my school, I want to compensate for a lower university grade.

What GMAT score were you targeting?

I was targeting a 730 or more score. My target school holds an average GMAT of 710 and considering I'm Indian-Male, I bumped the score by 20 pts
Intern
Intern
Send PM
V152 Q166 on GRE after GMAT prep - Should I give GRE a go? [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi mooshigooshi.

What were the Quant/Verbal breakdowns on your GMATs?

Hey Marty!

Got a Q49 V38 on the first attempt. Had a forgettable second attempt - 650 (Q45 and V early 30s)

Originally posted by mooshigooshi on 15 Feb 2023, 06:26.
Last edited by mooshigooshi on 15 Feb 2023, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mooshigooshi,

First off, a 710 is an outstanding overall Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest (or taking the GRE) is probably not necessary. You're ultimately asking an Admissions question though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in studying/taking the GRE - it's just a matter of whether that time, money and effort might be better spent on other aspects of your application. You already seem to understand that the GRE does place a much greater emphasis on a Test Taker's vocabulary knowledge (including when to use certain words instead of others) - and the Quant section has its own special question type (they're called Quantitative Comparisons - QCs - that can be approached with similar Tactics to those that you can use on DS questions).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When did you take your 2 Official GMATs and how did you score on each (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Hi Rich!

>Took my first test after 6 months of prep. Got a Q49 V38 on this attempt.
>Given my mock scores were 680, 710, 730, and 740, I decided to give another go
>Prepared for 3 months, focusing extensively on weaker areas
>Heavily underperformed on the next test. 650 (Q45 and V lower 30s). The mocks were still ranging around 710-750
>I would've considered another attempt but the truth is, I was expecting to get a 730 after completing my second exam too. So, the reason for my poor score is not nerves or poor luck. I simply don't know what I did wrong.

>8-9 month. Started with Magoosh prep to grasp concepts
>Pulled in OG on the side
>Solved all official mocks and 6 GMAT club tests
>Did OG advanced for Verbal
>DId targeted practice on GMAT forum Quiz through popular sources

>I wanted to apply to US schools too, but given the score I'm just looking at top European schools - INSEAD, HEC, IE. Have begun researching more and will have a final list in some time.
>Want to pursue my MBA next year, so want to kickstart the applications as soon as possible

Originally posted by mooshigooshi on 15 Feb 2023, 06:41.
Last edited by mooshigooshi on 15 Feb 2023, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
What is the average GRE score at your desired program?

Hi Scott!

The average score for GMAT is 710 but considering I'm an Indian male - I'd be more desirable with a 730.

If I'm not wrong, that average converts to a GRE 320
GMAT Club Bot