GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V30-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V30-11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:20) correct 42% (01:37) wrong based on 19 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently, automobile collectors have been especially interested in 1960s, and early 1970s American muscle cars, and particularly those from 1969, and 1970. This clear preference highlights a certain shift in taste on the part of many serious collectors to favor particularly rare models that were iconic when new. Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the observed shift in taste described above?

A. During the 1980s, a similar shift occurred within the classic car collector market wherein American muscle cars from the 1960s and 1970s were highly coveted.
B. As time has passed, a growing and substantial proportion of serious automobile collectors are those who were exposed to late 1960's and 1970s American muscle cars as young adults.
C. Recently, the collector automobile market in general has undergone an unprecedented surge in popularity.
D. During the 1960s and 1970s, the prices of American muscle cars often exceeded the prices of other cars that are currently popular among collectors.
E. American muscle cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s started to garner significant interest by serious collectors over two decades ago.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V30-11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 01:55
Official Solution:

Recently, automobile collectors have been especially interested in 1960s, and early 1970s American muscle cars, and particularly those from 1969, and 1970. This clear preference highlights a certain shift in taste on the part of many serious collectors to favor particularly rare models that were iconic when new. Which one of the following, if true, most strongly supports the observed shift in taste described above?

A. During the 1980s, a similar shift occurred within the classic car collector market wherein American muscle cars from the 1960s and 1970s were highly coveted.
B. As time has passed, a growing and substantial proportion of serious automobile collectors are those who were exposed to late 1960's and 1970s American muscle cars as young adults.
C. Recently, the collector automobile market in general has undergone an unprecedented surge in popularity.
D. During the 1960s and 1970s, the prices of American muscle cars often exceeded the prices of other cars that are currently popular among collectors.
E. American muscle cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s started to garner significant interest by serious collectors over two decades ago.

Question Type: Strengthen

Boil It Down (Simplified & Abbreviated Summary of the Prompt): Shift in taste -> Surge in iconic muscle car interest

Missing Information (assumption): Proof of causality. A shift in taste is what caused the surge in interest for iconic muscle cars Goal: Look for an option that reinforces the idea there is a shift in taste in the marketplace

Ⓐ Irrelevant. Other shifts in taste are outside of the argument's logical focus. Whether there were OTHER similar shifts in taste in the past has no logical strengthening effect on an argument about THIS shift.

Ⓑ Yes! This option provides evidence of an evolving marketplace that would have a reason to favor American muscle cars: there has been an apparent generational shift in the market. If a growing and SUBSTANTIAL proportion of the collector marketplace were exposed to American muscle cars as young adults, it would provide logical force to the idea that there is indeed a shift in taste in the market as a whole. Now, is this a slam dunk case for the argument though? No, but we're not asked to PROVE the observation, but rather we're asked to select the option that provides the best SUPPORT for the claim that that a shift in taste is responsible. This option does exactly that.

Ⓒ Irrelevant. This option offers no support to the claim that a shift in taste is responsible for the boost in American muscle car popularity. Whether the entire market is increasing, decreasing, or remains the same size doesn't impact the fact that there is a documented boost in popularity in favor of American muscle cars.

Ⓓ Irrelevant. The pricing of the cars WHEN THEY WERE NEW has absolutely no relevance to the collector automobile market TODAY. American muscle cars could have been twice the price of other cars when new, and that wouldn't reinforce why there would be a recent shift in taste in favor of American muscle cars today.

Ⓔ It tells us that the prices for American muscle cars in the 1960s and 1970s was higher THEN, but what time-frame is the trend in the argument? Recent. So now, how would the original prices of the cars have any impact on the prices now, or why there would have been a shift in favor of those cars now in the collector automobile market? Specifically, there is no logical connection because the prices of American muscle cars and all other cars could have fluctuated so much since then. Cars can depreciate, and never gain value, or appreciate again. There's just no automatic way to know how the original pricing relates to future trends.

Answer: B

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Re: V30-11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 23:29
I am not convinced with the explanation. Please explain how option 'B' is the correct answer?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Re V30-11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 23:58
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. why cant the solution be d? not able to understand
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V30-11  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 02:40
Why can option E? As per explanation, the price is irrelevant. But option does not state anything about price. It is talking about interest so the explanation is not proper.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V30-11 &nbs [#permalink] 12 Oct 2018, 02:40

V30-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap