GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Feb 2020, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Vanderbilt (Owen) $$ vs Duke (Fuqua)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Better high-tech / product management program?

• 44% [16]
  • 55% [20]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Vanderbilt (Owen) $$ vs Duke (Fuqua)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 12:43
Hi everyone,
I'm 25 years old with 3 years of work experience in technology consulting. I studied computer science undergrad, so I want to get into more product management at a high-tech company - think Google or Microsoft, but maybe a start-up too. I have been admitted to Fuqua and Owen (full tuition paid at Owen). I'm leaning Owen because of the money, but I know Duke has an amazing reputation.

Any advice on which school to choose from a high-tech industry perspective?

thank you!
Intern
Intern
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) $$ vs Duke (Fuqua)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2015, 02:05
Congrats. You're in a great position. Do you have a geographic preference? Hard to turn down a full-ride but Fuqua is starting to really develop a nice reputation for sending grads into the Tech industry broadly speaking. Last year, they went from 10% of their class going into tech to 20% going into tech Having said that, you have a CS background which certainly will help in the recruiting process regardless of where you go.

mheitzer44 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm 25 years old with 3 years of work experience in technology consulting. I studied computer science undergrad, so I want to get into more product management at a high-tech company - think Google or Microsoft, but maybe a start-up too. I have been admitted to Fuqua and Owen (full tuition paid at Owen). I'm leaning Owen because of the money, but I know Duke has an amazing reputation.

Any advice on which school to choose from a high-tech industry perspective?

thank you!

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.71
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 11:34
At a quick glance, I think Fuqua has a better reputation in the tech world and might be the better choice.

I have a very similar situation. Full tuition scholarship at Owen and a smaller scholarship at Fuqua. 26 years old and working in investment management. Does anyone have any views specific to this field?
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 21:46
Fuqua is getting better and better at high tech in the Valley.Check out Fuqua's High Tech club. Fuqua sent 12 students to Google last year, compared with none for Owen.

Product Management is a hard area to break into without prior experience as PM (a chicken and the egg problem). Your CS degree will give you an advantage, but I think you would need to leverage a strong hi-tech network as well. For a PM role in the Valley, you will be competing against top MBA students (with tech background), and startup founders. I think the Fuqua brand will allow you to more effectively compete in this arena.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Vanderbilt (Owen) $$ vs Duke (Fuqua)   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2015, 21:46

Vanderbilt (Owen) $$ vs Duke (Fuqua)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste