GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 22:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (00:37) correct 13% (00:49) wrong based on 789 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Verb Tense Revision Project.

If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting many holiday shoppers.

A. would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting

B. would be opened by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract

C. was opening by Thanksgiving, it would be able to attract

D. was to open by Thanksgiving, it also will attract

E. opens before Thanksgiving, it will attract

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
G
Re: If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 01:32
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Verb Tense Revision Project.

If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be attracting many holiday shoppers.

+1 for E. Present tense to be used with 'will'
Math Expert
V
Re: If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 07:55

the question tests us for use of if clause...

if clause can never have would in it
if the second clause has will in it , if clause will have present tense
only E follows the two rules so ans E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 10:04
If X happens, Y will happen.

Only E conforms with this conditional structure.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 12:15
chetan2u

If ( simple past), then (simple past or would- verb) --> does this construction make sense ?

Regards
SG
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 03:15
smartyguy wrote:
chetan2u

If ( simple past), then (simple past or would- verb) --> does this construction make sense ?

Regards
SG

hi SG,
there are three possiblities of if clause...
1)
type------------- if-clause ---------- main clause
1----------- Simple Present---------- will-future
2----------- Simple Past--------- would + infinitive
3----------- Past Perfect--------- would + have + past participle

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 05:39
E is the best answer. if it opens, something will happen.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2015, 21:43
I also chose E. But why is C wrong? Does it not conform to:
If [hypothetical subjunctive], then [conditional (would)] + verb

The only reasoning against C I can think of is that instead of "was", "were" should have been used.
Is there something else wrong with C (perhaps a change of meaning that I'm neglecting)?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2015, 23:30
gaurav90 wrote:
I also chose E. But why is C wrong? Does it not conform to:
If [hypothetical subjunctive], then [conditional (would)] + verb

The only reasoning against C I can think of is that instead of "was", "were" should have been used.
Is there something else wrong with C (perhaps a change of meaning that I'm neglecting)?

I don't think we can look at it as a hypothetical situation.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Sep 2018, 03:37
One problem with this sentence is that the first clause of an “if x, then y” sentence should not contain the conditional verb “would”. The other problem is that the tense of the second clause is incorrect. This is an “if x, then y” sentence in which the first clause concerns a possible future event, and the second clause concerns a predicted consequence of that event. The first clause should therefore be in the present tense, and the second clause should be in the simple future tense (“it will attract”).

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The first clause of this version is incorrect because: (1) it still contains "would", and (2) there is no good reason to use the passive voice ("be opened") here. The second clause is incorrect because it changes the meaning of the sentence by saying that the store would merely "be able to" attract holiday shoppers.

(C) "If it was opening" is always incorrect. For a possible future event in an "if" clause, you should normally use the present tense and the indicative mood: "If it opens". [If you wanted to indicate skepticism about the possibility that the store will open, you could use the subjunctive mood. But the correct way to do that would be to say "If it opened" or "If it were to open" or "If it were opening".] The second clause of this sentence is also incorrect, as explained in (B).

(D) "If it was to open" is always incorrect. As noted for (C), you should normally say "If it opens". [If you wanted to change the meaning of the sentence, which is not a good idea in sentence correction problems, you could use the subjunctive mood. But the correct way to do that would be to say "If it opened" or "If it were to open" or "If it were opening".] In the second clause, "also" is unnecessary and somewhat illogical. The action in the second clause will happen, if it happens at all, as a later result of what happens in the first clause. The word "also" contains a suggestion of simultaneity that is inappropriate in this context.

(E) CORRECT. We now have a correct “if x, then y” sentence, in which the first clause is in the present tense and the second clause is in the simple future tense.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 29 Mar 2015, 20:14.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Sep 2018, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 03:30

A. would open by Thanksgiving-conditional future, it will be attracting- certainty So, wrong

B. would be opened by Thanksgiving- conditional future, it would be able to attract-uncerainty

C. was opening by Thanksgiving- if past progressive, it would be able to attract-then conditional wrong

D. was to open by Thanksgiving--if hypothetical subjunctive, it also will attract-then future with certainty. wrong

E. opens before Thanksgiving-present, it will attract-future certainty Correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 03:30

If the new department store would open by Thanksgiving, it will be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap