GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Verbal: an obstacle to overcome

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Verbal: an obstacle to overcome  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 05:54
Hello Everyone!

A month ago i wrote veritas CAT and scored 590 (Q44, V26). Today i wrote Gmatprep CAT and scored 580 (Q47, V23). :(
After thoroughly analyzing and reviewing all the questions in the Gmatprep CAT, I found that i am unable to solve most of the questions in verbal due to time pressure and unstable state of mind. During mock test I just could understand most of the questions and rushed through every question in verbal. I feel like i am totally blank while attempting CAT. During exam i don't feel relaxed and my heart beat run fast. I try to stay stable and try to concentrate on question but i can't. Everything on the screen gets blurry and i can't focus on questions and end up marking most of the question incorrect. However, whenever i solve questions from OG, most of the times i solve them correctly even high difficulty level questions and on most very hard questions i can easily end up on 2 answers to select. But in CAT situation gets totally different. I think just because of timing issue and unstable state of mind, i end up scoring very low in verbal. I know i understood almost all the concepts but i can't manage to solve within time limit. Even whenever i solve OG problems i take too much time while solving most of CR and SC questions. Today i am feeling very down just because of scoring very low in verbal as i have been preparing for this section for last few months and i know i have improved my concepts but don't know why i am still not able to boost my score in verbal.

I would highly appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard that how to tackle verbal in limited time constraint while keeping nerves in control during exam and what else can i do to increase my verbal score?

Thank You!
Regards.
Hasnain Afzal

Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Verbal: an obstacle to overcome  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 23:01
HasnainAfxal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

A month ago i wrote veritas CAT and scored 590 (Q44, V26). Today i wrote Gmatprep CAT and scored 580 (Q47, V23). :(
After thoroughly analyzing and reviewing all the questions in the Gmatprep CAT, I found that i am unable to solve most of the questions in verbal due to time pressure and unstable state of mind. During mock test I just could understand most of the questions and rushed through every question in verbal. I feel like i am totally blank while attempting CAT. During exam i don't feel relaxed and my heart beat run fast. I try to stay stable and try to concentrate on question but i can't. Everything on the screen gets blurry and i can't focus on questions and end up marking most of the question incorrect. However, whenever i solve questions from OG, most of the times i solve them correctly even high difficulty level questions and on most very hard questions i can easily end up on 2 answers to select. But in CAT situation gets totally different. I think just because of timing issue and unstable state of mind, i end up scoring very low in verbal. I know i understood almost all the concepts but i can't manage to solve within time limit. Even whenever i solve OG problems i take too much time while solving most of CR and SC questions. Today i am feeling very down just because of scoring very low in verbal as i have been preparing for this section for last few months and i know i have improved my concepts but don't know why i am still not able to boost my score in verbal.

I would highly appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard that how to tackle verbal in limited time constraint while keeping nerves in control during exam and what else can i do to increase my verbal score?

Thank You!
Regards.
Hasnain Afzal

Hi
I would suggest to solve chunks of questions from the OG in a timed manner. In this way, you can work questions in a time limitation.
Regarding timing strategies, the following post will help you:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... 06035.html

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Verbal: an obstacle to overcome  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 23:03
Hi HasnainAfxal,

There are many reasons for exam anxiety. One of them is because the student does not have a set process to solve questions. Because of this the student does not know where to begin and in timed environment this causes a lot of stress and pressure. Do you relate to this situation? Do you have a set process to approach the different kind of questions in GMAT?

If you think this could be the cause, I invite you to try the e-GMAT Free Trial. We have proprietary process for students to follow in each section that allows them to arrive at the correct answer consistently by following the process. I am sharing a few files below, more of these are available in the Free Trial dashboard.

I would also like to invite you to the free RC webinar we are conducting this weekend. In this webinar you will learn how to read a passage of any length and topic effectively so that it becomes simple to comprehend what the author wants to communicate through the passage. Register here to reserve your spot.

Hope this helps. If you need any further help regarding GMAT, please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Verbal: an obstacle to overcome  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 10:15
Hi HasnainAfxal,

As I’m sure you’ve read here on GMAT Club, MANY students suffer from nerves and anxiety when taking the GMAT. To help manage your nerves, you could try some visualization techniques. Imagine various test-day scenarios such as getting stuck on a question, issues in the testing center, feeling pressed for time, or worrying that you’re underperforming. As you feel your stress responses start to kick in when thinking about these things, practice pulling yourself together and visualize focusing on getting correct answers.

When taking the GMAT, the best way to deal with stress is to get busy answering the question in front of you, focusing completely on the task at hand so that you redirect all of that nervous energy and naturally calm down. In other words, you distract yourself with a goal. Just tell yourself that all that matters is getting the correct answer to the question in front of you, and then when you have finished that question, take the same attitude toward the next one. Focus on winning each “mini-battle” and you won't have time for anxiety. If you can win enough of those battles, you can win the GMAT war, right?

You also have to consider that your issue is related to an overall lack of verbal knowledge. After all, if you knew GMAT verbal like the back of your hand, you would have supreme confidence when answering questions and thus be able to keep your nerves at bay, right? So, although you do not have much time until your GMAT, you really need to ensure that you have a solid grasp of the foundations of GMAT verbal. To improve your verbal skills, you need to follow a linear study plan that allows you to start with the foundations and move to more advanced topics, thereby allowing you to methodically fill in gaps in your knowledge and improve your skills.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal: an obstacle to overcome &nbs [#permalink] 30 Oct 2018, 10:15

Verbal: an obstacle to overcome

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap