It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal -- dilemma choice during test

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Verbal -- dilemma choice during test [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 04:36
Himike, or other Magoosh tutors,
I post this topic because I wonder how to assess the decision that accuracy priority or time priority during test.cl

1/ accuracy priority VS time priority
I practiced some questions on Magoosh customer practice and GMAT Prep.
when the time is clacking, and I am not sure whether I could get the correct choice, should I spend more time to finish or just guess because it is impossible you check the remain time after you complete each question.

of course, if I am sure the question is beyond, I will guess, but it is possible that some questions I cannot assess at once.
2/ does different level, different decision
for example,( yes, it is not a good example, while, my purpose is more clear rather than sensible )
500 ~ 550, maybe accuracy prior to time
700 ~ 750, time prior to accuracy.

I hope I at least have a clue before taking test. and won't struggle which is priority during test.

thanks for your strategy

have a nice day
>_~

Magoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 7774 [0], given: 95

Re: Verbal -- dilemma choice during test [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 16:30
zoezhuyan wrote:
Himike, or other Magoosh tutors,
I post this topic because I wonder how to assess the decision that accuracy priority or time priority during test.cl

1/ accuracy priority VS time priority
I practiced some questions on Magoosh customer practice and GMAT Prep.
when the time is clacking, and I am not sure whether I could get the correct choice, should I spend more time to finish or just guess because it is impossible you check the remain time after you complete each question.

of course, if I am sure the question is beyond, I will guess, but it is possible that some questions I cannot assess at once.
2/ does different level, different decision
for example,( yes, it is not a good example, while, my purpose is more clear rather than sensible )
500 ~ 550, maybe accuracy prior to time
700 ~ 750, time prior to accuracy.

I hope I at least have a clue before taking test. and won't struggle which is priority during test.

thanks for your strategy

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

How are you, my friend? :-) I've been busy at Magoosh, but I have a little time to respond.

The first thing I'll say is that, unfortunately, your written English is not always clear. You wrote:
I post this topic because I wonder how to assess the decision that accuracy priority or time priority during test.
Here, the word "that" begins a clause, and any clause needs a noun & verb. Also, you are not using the word "assess" in quite the right way. If person A makes a decision, then I might assess person A's decision: in other words, I evaluate it and decide whether it was a good decision.
I gather that you mean:
I post this topic because I wonder how to choose between accuracy priority and time priority during the test.

My friend, here's the tricky part. For a student ambitious for success on the GMAT, I would recommend a strict time limit on all practice. It's very important to get comfortable with the pace. Now, if you find consistently find that keeping this pace causes you to sacrifice accuracy, that essentially you have to choose between keeping the test pace or maintaining accuracy, then this is a troubling sign.

You see, on the real GMAT, if you keep the test pace, and get some questions wrong, the computer adaptive feature (CAT) will give you easier questions until you are getting them consistently at that pace. Because the difficulty level is low, this would result in a relatively low score. If, on the other hand, you slow down for accuracy, you may get some slightly harder questions correct, but then you will run out of time, and that will be problematic for your score.

Honestly, my friend, I wish you were not taking the GMAT so soon. You still have a great deal of work to do in improving your fundamental understanding of English. If you have the luxury of waiting longer, practicing English more, and taking the GMAT later, then I think you will get much better results.

I know this is probably not the advice that you want to hear, my friend. I am sorry to bear bad news.

I hope you have a wonderful day, my friend.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 7774 [0], given: 95

Manager
Manager
B

Re: Verbal -- dilemma choice during test [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 19:48
mikemcgarry wrote:
How are you, my friend? :-) I've been busy at Magoosh, but I have a little time to respond.

The first thing I'll say is that, unfortunately, your written English is not always clear. You wrote:
I post this topic because I wonder how to assess the decision that accuracy priority or time priority during test.
Here, the word "that" begins a clause, and any clause needs a noun & verb. Also, you are not using the word "assess" in quite the right way. If person A makes a decision, then I might assess person A's decision: in other words, I evaluate it and decide whether it was a good decision.
I gather that you mean:
I post this topic because I wonder how to choose between accuracy priority and time priority during the test.

My friend, here's the tricky part. For a student ambitious for success on the GMAT, I would recommend a strict time limit on all practice. It's very important to get comfortable with the pace. Now, if you find consistently find that keeping this pace causes you to sacrifice accuracy, that essentially you have to choose between keeping the test pace or maintaining accuracy, then this is a troubling sign.

You see, on the real GMAT, if you keep the test pace, and get some questions wrong, the computer adaptive feature (CAT) will give you easier questions until you are getting them consistently at that pace. Because the difficulty level is low, this would result in a relatively low score. If, on the other hand, you slow down for accuracy, you may get some slightly harder questions correct, but then you will run out of time, and that will be problematic for your score.

Honestly, my friend, I wish you were not taking the GMAT so soon. You still have a great deal of work to do in improving your fundamental understanding of English. If you have the luxury of waiting longer, practicing English more, and taking the GMAT later, then I think you will get much better results.

I know this is probably not the advice that you want to hear, my friend. I am sorry to bear bad news.

I hope you have a wonderful day, my friend.

Mike :-)

thanks mikemcgarry,
would you please tell me more about fundamental understanding of English, for example, what is fundamental understanding of English, what should I focus on ?

and more about practice English more, for example,
1/ as considering OG questions, should I practice them again and again until I have clues to all of them ?

2/ outside source, the Economist most frequency at the moment.
as you told me early, I try to understand the structure of sentence or paragraph, the grammar , but always fail to understand logical reasoning simultaneous, then I will go back to re-read, causing out of control time.

I realized you are busy recently, because I found I got one of your responses that the time you post is 22:30 or so, seems very late if you are a person with 8-hour sleeping healthy habit.

appreciate your response that are late for you, hoping you take great care of yourself.

have a nice day.

>_~ :flower

Zoe, the one on the journey to 760 :war

Re: Verbal -- dilemma choice during test   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2016, 19:48