GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 03:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Verbal problem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Verbal problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 11:49
Hi Guys,
about me:
Started prep last Friday (06.04.2018)
Exam on 23rd of June
Target score - 600-650
I'm finishing SC in EGMAT course.
Good quant (Q34 from 1st CAT, but I wasn't ready for such kind of questions) and very poor Verbal (V14 from 1st CAT)

to be honest I don't even know how to ask you about your help.
I'm doing offline Verbal course in EGMAT and it is really helpful for me as for not native speaker. But the case is that I'm spending a lot of time to learn concepts (SV pairs; tenses etc) and it works fine, because I have more than 70% of accuracy (my knowledge about english gramma was very weak and I hate tasks like SC, so I'm glad to see such results), but when I'm doing the questions when I don't know what is the problem then I'm not able to make process properly and I can't recognise the mistake.
EGMAT recommendations say that I should do the concept once again, but I understand it and remember all the aspect. I just can't apply the process in "real questions".

Should I change something or just practice more and the result will come?

My target is not 700+ score, so my score in Verb can be like "30", because I know that I will have very good score in quant, but still I have to have that 30 from Verbal.

Btw. the worse part is "modifiers" section, but as I said before I know all the rules of modifiers.
e-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
S
Re: Verbal problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 12:51
Top Contributor
It's possible you may be hitting the ceiling of knowing the theoretical concept vs applying it to real questions naturally.

It sounds like you are quite familiar with the grammar rules - identify subject-verb, and checking different rules. But there is a subtle, yet significant, difference between knowing those basics vs being super confident about being able to apply it to the next question.

This is where thought process and practical test taking come into play - something we specialize at with GMAT Pill.

How you think through a question dictates how much time you will spend on different parts of a question stem and corresponding answer choices. This is the key for time management -- minimize the time you spend on parts of the question that don't matter!

http://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

Here's a Google sheet with links to OG SC video explanations that can help walk you through the thinking process:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Learn more about GMAT Pill @ http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Verbal problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 12:59
Hi dave9783,

To start, two weeks ago GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (beginning April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher. Based on when you took your CAT, I assume that it was one of the current (75 minutes per section) versions. Unfortunately, Official practice CATs in the new 'format' don't exist yet - but once they become available, you should plan to take one (so that we can get a better sense of how you perform under these new conditions).

Since you're already working with some practice materials, I suggest that you continue studying in this way for a couple of weeks, then take a NEW CAT and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal problem &nbs [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 12:59

Verbal problem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount + tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap