It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 13:05

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Score Inconsistent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Schools: Rotman '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 2.95
WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Verbal Score Inconsistent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 17:35
Hello everyone, in my last two official GMAT mock exams my verbal scores were:

CR RC SC
34 88% 64% 50%
35 76% 73% 59%

Today I took the real exam, and I scored 28. Is this a normal oscillation, and how could I correct this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Paula

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8969 [1], given: 112

Re: Verbal Score Inconsistent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Coruja wrote:

CR RC SC
34 88% 64% 50%
35 76% 73% 59%

Today I took the real exam, and I scored 28. Is this a normal oscillation, and how could I correct this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Paula

Dear Paula,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I'll say is that students seem to have this curious idea that GMAT score is a fixed and replicable value that one should be able to produce repeatedly without variation, as if it were a biological measurement. Variation is natural. I think we want to focus on increasing the overall range, which in your case would involve making consistent progress on the harder Verbal questions.

These are already strong verbal scores. I assume you are a native speaker of English.

In the larger picture, something is so bizarre about the fact about life in the electronic world that we all have access to so many numbers that purport to give us feedback. It's not clear to me that even half of these numbers measure anything rigorous or worthwhile. GMAT score is obviously meaningful because of its import, but what exactly is it measuring? I think students vastly underestimate how much diet, sleep, mood, emotional balance, etc. play directly into GMAT score.

I will say that the scenario you describe is quite similar to the one I discuss here:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests
In the blogs linked from that blog, I discuss the stress-management skills in greater depth. If you can make a habit of practicing those consistently, the payoffs will be huge in a variety of areas.

For strengthening your Verbal skills, nothing helps so much as a consistent habit of reading. You have to force yourself to read challenging and difficult material, on subject matters with which you are not familiar--such are the passages you will see on the GMAT RC. See this blog:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
Especially for improving in the elite region of the GMAT Verbal, you need to read the most sophisticated stuff you can find.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8969 [1], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Schools: Rotman '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 2.95
WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Re: Verbal Score Inconsistent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 08:27
mikemcgarry wrote:
Coruja wrote:

CR RC SC
34 88% 64% 50%
35 76% 73% 59%

Thank you in advance!

Paula

Dear Paula,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I'll say is that students seem to have this curious idea that GMAT score is a fixed and replicable value that one should be able to produce repeatedly without variation, as if it were a biological measurement. Variation is natural. I think we want to focus on increasing the overall range, which in your case would involve making consistent progress on the harder Verbal questions.

These are already strong verbal scores. I assume you are a native speaker of English.

In the larger picture, something is so bizarre about the fact about life in the electronic world that we all have access to so many numbers that purport to give us feedback. It's not clear to me that even half of these numbers measure anything rigorous or worthwhile. GMAT score is obviously meaningful because of its import, but what exactly is it measuring? I think students vastly underestimate how much diet, sleep, mood, emotional balance, etc. play directly into GMAT score.

I will say that the scenario you describe is quite similar to the one I discuss here:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests
In the blogs linked from that blog, I discuss the stress-management skills in greater depth. If you can make a habit of practicing those consistently, the payoffs will be huge in a variety of areas.

For strengthening your Verbal skills, nothing helps so much as a consistent habit of reading. You have to force yourself to read challenging and difficult material, on subject matters with which you are not familiar--such are the passages you will see on the GMAT RC. See this blog:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
Especially for improving in the elite region of the GMAT Verbal, you need to read the most sophisticated stuff you can find.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have further questions.
Mike :-)

Hello Mike, thank you a lot for you response, I'll the contents of the links you sent right now. My first language is Portuguese, thank you for assuming I was a native speaker, that's a great compliment.

Re: Verbal Score Inconsistent   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2016, 08:27

Verbal Score Inconsistent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap