Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Verbal Section destroyed - Can we challenge GMAT score? [#permalink]
Hi
Yeah I know that Retake is the option.

But what will be the probability if similar thing happened do not happen again during retake.

The thing is that I am 100% confident that my performance in GMAT verbal section was much better than 25 score and it should have been definitely around 38+.

So I have decided to challenge the GMAT score.

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
sumitjain3 wrote:
Hi
Yeah I know that Retake is the option.

But what will be the probability if similar thing happened do not happen again during retake.

The thing is that I am 100% confident that my performance in GMAT verbal section was much better than 25 score and it should have been definitely around 38+.

So I have decided to challenge the GMAT score.

Thanks

I can understand your situation sumit. Can you give us the break up of all your practice tests and scores.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I don't think you'd be able to challenge your score, as that just simply draws too much controversy. If one challenges, the next one will want to as well. Then the next and the next. Where does it end?

My suggestion is to not think about challenging it anymore - what's done is done. Go for a retake and really pound the verbal. It could very well be the testing anxiety that got to you. Don't give up on it, that's for sure.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Quote:

I really don't think anyone can be sure about their score to that extent and a 13 point jump is incredibly great. There are a lot of people who have consistently scored well on practice tests but not on the GMAT. Challenging the GMAT doesn't seem a viable option to me. I'm not sure how the integrated reasoning section will affect scores in the other section as well. That would mean a LOT of trouble for the GMAC especially if you volunteered to take the Integrated Reasoning Portion. Sorry, but I really don't think challenging is even an option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
sumitjain3 wrote:

I dont know what to do now. Is there a way I can challenge GMAT verbal score as I am confident that I should have got more than 25 marks for sure?

Sumit

https://www.mba.com/mbacommunity/MBA_com ... score.aspx
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
sumitjain3 wrote:

I dont know what to do now. Is there a way I can challenge GMAT verbal score as I am confident that I should have got more than 25 marks for sure?

Sumit

I find the MBA website a bit amusing on this topic. According to MBA.com, it says "If the item challenge affects your score, an updated Official Score Report will be sent to schools that received a copy of your previous score report." How does that change one's score though? Since it's a CAT, should a test-taker's answer be right but marked wrong, it would've affected the entire outcome of the type of questions that follow that specific question. How can MBA.com "update" such score then?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

I really don't think anyone can be sure about their score to that extent and a 13 point jump is incredibly great. There are a lot of people who have consistently scored well on practice tests but not on the GMAT. Challenging the GMAT doesn't seem a viable option to me. I'm not sure how the integrated reasoning section will affect scores in the other section as well. That would mean a LOT of trouble for the GMAC especially if you volunteered to take the Integrated Reasoning Portion. Sorry, but I really don't think challenging is even an option.

All excellent points -- I completely agree with you. Not that many test takers can predict his or her score with a great degree of accuracy (+/- 10 points). A lot of times -- people think they have done pretty poorly and they end up with a better score than expected, and are pleasantly surprised. It also cuts the other way -- people think they have aced the test and they end up with a below par score. I have read so many stories on this and other forums about people who wanted to cancel their scores after the exam -- but then decided not to -- only to end up with a great score. Plus you have those "experimental" questions thrown in the mix --and they certainly influence the proceedings but have no impact on the score.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V44
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:
sumitjain3 wrote:

Sumit

I find the MBA website a bit amusing on this topic. According to MBA.com, it says "If the item challenge affects your score, an updated Official Score Report will be sent to schools that received a copy of your previous score report." How does that change one's score though? Since it's a CAT, should a test-taker's answer be right but marked wrong, it would've affected the entire outcome of the type of questions that follow that specific question. How can MBA.com "update" such score then?

Are they possibly referring only to the ESSAY section? I get the impression that the verbal and math sections cannot be challenged -- GMAC verifies those scores 3 times -- and if there are any errors they say that they will "investigate it". I have heard of scoring algorithm issues on the GRE -- and ETS (the testing company for the GRE) offers the candidate another crack at the test free of charge.

Your point is totally valid though -- how can you "correct" a CAT exam, which is based on the premise of adaptive questioning.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The correction is done on a per question basis. I think they check for the right answer to the question and if the applicant's answer matches that. I agree with bakfed on this.

I also really don't think it's possible for GMAC to make a blunder that would give you a 13 point score decrease. The world's best business schools rely on GMAC to give them an accurate indication of your academic potential.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
I took the integrated reason test along with my test last week.
Ater 2 questions in IR section I just randomly selected some options for next 2 and solved 4 more anid again started doing for another 2 ...but all that did not affect my real GMAT score..
I got 49 in my verbal(my best ever including all my practice tests and the my first attempt on real GMAT)

S if you that IR affected your score.
...I do not think so...

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Send PM
49 in V or 49 in Q?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
anilwanted wrote:
I took the integrated reason test along with my test last week.
Ater 2 questions in IR section I just randomly selected some options for next 2 and solved 4 more anid again started doing for another 2 ...but all that did not affect my real GMAT score..
I got 49 in my verbal(my best ever including all my practice tests and the my first attempt on real GMAT)

S if you that IR affected your score.
...I do not think so...

Posted from my mobile device

damn..it's a typo....I got 40 in Verbal...my bad!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts