GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 08:07

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 11:56
Hey guys,

Whereas my Quant is pretty stable 48-50, my verbal jumps substantially 30-40. Yet this is the half of the issue, the most striking is that with similar scenarios I get different scores (40 vs 35). Attaching screenshots.

P.S. I have to admit that in the last part 28-36 I always have to skip 3-5 questions, because I have to finish before time is up. I'm a veeeeery slow reader:
Avarage to answer: CR -3.00 min, RC 2.15 min, SC 2 min.

Any real suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

EMPOWERgmatRichC I know that you have done a lot of comments on the topics like this. What do you think? Thanks.
Attachments

2.png
2.png [ 24.83 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]

1.png
1.png [ 25.2 KiB | Viewed 604 times ]

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 11:43
Hi Hero8888,

While it's understandable that you might want to know more about why you receive the scores that you receive, the subjects that you're asking about are NOT relevant to what you actually need to hit a V40.

You do NOT need to be a 'fast' reader to score at a high level on the GMAT; you DO need to be 'efficient' though (and that includes how you handle your note-taking and organization). Based on the information that you have provided, it appears that "your ways" of handling the various question types in Verbal section are inefficient overall - which is why most questions take you longer to solve than they should. It's also likely that on too many questions you "narrow the answers down to 2 choices" and then "guess." From a probability-standpoint, you're going to get HALF of those questions wrong - which would almost certainly limit how high you could score on Test Day (especially if you take that type of approach too often); during your studies, you might also periodically be "luckier" on a CAT and receive a score result that you can't repeat.

Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predicable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is 'train' though - you have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics - along with doing all of the necessary note-taking on your pad - to earn that higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical, RC, SC or CR prompt?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 12:41
Hi Rich EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thank you for the prompt response!

Quote:
It's also likely that on too many questions you "narrow the answers down to 2 choices" and then "guess."

Correct, in some (I would say 33% of RC, RC, SC) cases I'm left with 2 answer choices, trying to pick one (takes 30-40 sec) and if I can't so, then I guess and move on. So I miss in total 6-8 min on this issue.

Quote:
Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:

Quote:
1) What study materials have you used so far?

SC: E-GMAT and MGMAT for as basic grammar, GCLUB for practicing and reading explanations of Experts.
CR: MGMAT
RC: E-GMAT
Quote:
2) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical, RC, SC or CR prompt?

RC:
Process: Reading a passage 4-5 min. Prethinking 15 sec. POE 1 min. I don't have issues with questions about role of a paragraph, structure or main idea - questions related to notetaking. My mistakes are related to: role of the highlighted text, inference, detail questions - here I'm left with 2 answer choices and I guess.
Timing: 2.15 min
Accuracy 85-90%.

CR: Process: 1.20 min for reading the question type (first step) and stem (second step). Then, I just write down "premise -->conclusuion" If I'm given % changes by years or subgroup of a group, I also make visual diagrams 20-30 sec. POE 1 min. If I'm left with 2 options + 30sec to choose and move on. One of the issues: in 70% of cases I just can not prethink and move to POE.
Timing: 3 min
Current accuracy 80%.

SC:
Process: 1 min to read and digest the original sentence to understand the context and find grammatical mistakes. 40 sec to POE. If left with 2 I need another 20-30 sec to decide between them.
Timing: 1.40 - 2.00 min.
Current accuracy 85-95%.

Goals:
Quote:
3) What is your goal score?

V40 (current range 35-40), Q 50 (current range 48-50)

Quote:
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Tll the end of August 2018. In extreme case till the end of September 2018
Quote:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Oct., 2018
Quote:
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Choice: 1. Columbia, 2. Booth 3. MIT
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Re: Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 14:47
Hi Hero8888,

From what you describe, there are some inefficiencies with your 'default' ways of handling the Verbal section. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few questions about your prior studies:

1) You have a prior Official Score (the 630). Is that the only Official Score you have or have you taken the GMAT more than once?
2) When you studied for the GMAT before, what 'brands' of CATs did you use? What 'brands' of CATs have you used since then?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 15:13
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Quote:
1) You have a prior Official Score (the 630). Is that the only Official Score you have or have you taken the GMAT more than once?

I took official test only once in March 2018 (5 mo ago). 630 Q44 V33
Quote:
2) When you studied for the GMAT before, what 'brands' of CATs did you use? What 'brands' of CATs have you used since then?

In my first iteration I used: Veritas once (got 660) and MGMAT once (got 600-sh). And other 3 times I took GMAT Prep only (620-640). In this iteration I took Official GMAT Prep Mock tests only: 1&2 and 5&6. Whereas Quant is pretty stable 49>48>50>50>49>...(I assume that +- 2 points is stable), Verbal goes back and forth dramatically kinda: 37->31->40->33->37->35...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 16:02
Hi Hero8888,

The 'swings' in your Verbal Scaled Scores are likely due to some combination of the following:

1) "Narrowing the answers down to 2 choices" and then "guessing." You admit that this happens about 1/3 of the time.
2) There's a potential issue with seeing 'repeat' questions on your CATs (since you've taken some of the Official CATs more than once, you likely saw some questions that you had already answered). Unfortunately, seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc.
3) Various factors involving how you took your CATs - the location, time of day, whether you skipped sections or not, how strict you were about making each CAT 'match up' with the variables you faced on Test Day, etc.

The area that we can most directly impact right now - and is almost certainly necessary - is your Verbal training. The ability to define the correct answer to a GMAT question - even when the aspects of Test Day are not 'ideal' - is the key to earning the type of Score that you're after. So far, your studies have not gotten you to that skill level. Depending on how flexible a thinker you are (meaning your ability to change how you 'see' - and respond to - GMAT questions), you could potentially 'fix' all of those issues and retest in under a month. Of course, if you're "stuck" in your ways, then it would take longer.

1) From your messages, it does not sound like you have scheduled your next Official Test Date yet. Is that still the case?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 07:00
Hi Rich! EMPOWERgmatRichC

Yesterday I had a real GMAT test, sorry for not telling you. I decided to take it one day before, because I could not sustain pressure the uncertainty anymore. I craved to know where I'm. So the result is 690 (Q 47, V 37). To say that I'm pissed off is to say nothing. As you can see my quant had been inflated too, or I just screwed up my math doing silly errors, yet the conceptions I was tested were all pretty familiar.

Quote:
1) From your messages, it does not sound like you have scheduled your next Official Test Date yet. Is that still the case?

If I make appointment on 27-30 August, do you think it's possible to come up with un-inflated sores Q49-50, V37-40 just in 12-14 days?

Quote:
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

I'm free for next 2 week, so basically I can study 8-12 hours a day everyday.

Thank you for your help.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 21:22
Hi Hero8888,

To start, this 690/Q47 is a fantastic score - and it's a really nice improvement over your prior 630/Q44 - so it might be enough to get you into one of the Schools that you've listed.

Three days ago, you stated that your Score Goal was Q50/V40; now you're stating that it's Q49-50/V37-40. You rushed in to take the GMAT yesterday - when you did not have to. These decisions point to someone who is "winging it" at this point - and since you scored Q47 on the Official GMAT, there's now some question as to how strong your Overall Quant skills actually are. At face value, I don't think that 2 weeks is enough time for you to consistently score Q50/V40, but I have to assume that you're going to retake the GMAT as soon as you can - again, even though you do not have to. You're actually closer to a Q50/V40 than you probably realize, but you're not giving yourself enough time to get to that level - so you should take a day to think about what's more important to you: retaking the GMAT in 16 days or hitting your original Score Goal.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 06:52
Hi Rich EMPOWERgmatRichC

I'm taking a pause for 3 days to comprehend the situation. I thought it would be great to jump over 700 line. By the way
I did not study/practice math last 2-3 weeks before the test. Probably I have to make my study more balanced over Q/V since now. My short time goal is to gain +2 in Q and hold V score on the same level.

P.S. I analyzed the things you had said before the exam, so I consider V37 on real GMAT a part of your efforts. Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?! &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 06:52

Verbal: the same scenario, yet different score. What's wrong?!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap