It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 06:47
Hi All,

It has been 3 months since I have been studying for GMAT regularly. I have gone through following material for various sections:
Quant: Expert's Global Study Kit, gmatclub Math book for select topics such as Number systems/Geometry etc, Number systems from Manhattan.
Verbal: Expert's Global Study Kit for entire verbal section, Sentence Correction Grail by Aristotle, CR Bible, Gin's RC technique, All of Manhattan's material on SC.

I have given practice tests of Expert's Global & am stuck at an average score of 630-640 (Q44, V33). The highest score I got was 690 (Q 48, V 36).
I have done some analysis of my weak areas & have found out that my ability to apply concepts & get the question right is inversely proportional to the difficulty level of the question e.g. I consistently struggle to apply concepts of geometry say circles/triangles/squares etc to questions beyond 700 point difficulty. Funny part is that when I look at the answers & explanations to such difficult questions, I feel that I could have never thought of cracking it that way!

When it comes to verbal, again I am able to crack SC questions of <650 difficulty level with 90% accuracy & CR @ 80% accuracy. With RC main point of struggle is time management. I have tried everything from mind mapping to short notes to what not (practiced >50-60 RCs) & have not been able to either manage para & questions within average time of 2 minutes / question or get an accuracy in high 90%. My average accuracy with RC paras of decent difficulty has been 70%.
I am keen to understand how can I learn how to apply concepts in an efficient manner to different question types as so far trying to grasp the technique of doing so has proven futile as each GMAT question is different from the other! Even if I create some kind of log book of how a particular difficult question type was solved, I find out that the next difficult one of the same type had a very different approach!

I am not keen to take my prep beyond the month of December as I have already spent some time & have started to feel fatigued. My aim is to score anywhere beyond 700 as I am an Indian non IT male (Consumer Healthcare Marketing) & am well aware that if I score <700 my chances of even getting shortlisted by top ranked schools will dwindle.
Looking forward to some tips / tricks from this wonderful community so that I can get rid of this weakness & ace the GMAT.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 62

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 13:14
If you're scoring in the mid 600s, and you've never scored above 700, then I'm absolutely 100% certain that the problem isn't your performance on very hard (700++) questions. The scoring algorithm doesn't work that way - it gives you questions of different difficulties, trying to 'zero in' on the appropriate difficulty for you. If you were getting most or all of the questions right up to, say, the 670 mark, then your score would be at least a 670, even if you missed most or all of the questions above that mark. Missing 'easy' questions is a much bigger problem than missing hard ones - so look at those first. What areas are you missing easier questions in?

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 62

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 20:03
JackMasterNone wrote:
I have given practice tests of Expert's Global & am stuck at an average score of 630-640 (Q44, V33). The highest score I got was 690 (Q 48, V 36).
Try taking a GMATPrep sometime soon. The other tests you're taking could play a part in your preparation if they're good, but non-official tests are just not as reliable in terms of the scores they generate.

JackMasterNone wrote:
Funny part is that when I look at the answers & explanations to such difficult questions, I feel that I could have never thought of cracking it that way!
Learn from these questions, but don't worry too much about the "cleanest" approach. Most test takers who perform at a high level in quant do not find the most efficient path through all their questions on test day.

JackMasterNone wrote:
Even if I create some kind of log book of how a particular difficult question type was solved, I find out that the next difficult one of the same type had a very different approach!
Again, keep learning. Also, when it comes to verbal, there is a lot of bad material (and bad explanations!) out there, so just watch out for that. If in doubt, go with official material.

JackMasterNone wrote:
I am not keen to take my prep beyond the month of December as I have already spent some time & have started to feel fatigued. My aim is to score anywhere beyond 700 as I am an Indian non IT male (Consumer Healthcare Marketing) & am well aware that if I score <700 my chances of even getting shortlisted by top ranked schools will dwindle.
Looking forward to some tips / tricks from this wonderful community so that I can get rid of this weakness & ace the GMAT.
You should decide whether to extend your prep or not on the basis of your goals. Fatigue can be managed. Take a break from prep if you wish, but if your GMATPrep shows that you're reasonably close to your target score, you'd lose a lot of momentum if you abandoned your prep completely.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 09:25
Thank you both for your comments. Certainly would be of help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Re: Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 09:25

Very specific query: How to master technique of applying concepts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap