Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Vet/ADHD/Tufts/JD/Starting Biz Post-MBA... T15? [#permalink]
stonecold

need your 2 cents here :)
Thanks in advance
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Hi,
Welcome to the Gmat-club. I hope you doing great and are in the best of your health.
First things first, I don't agree(strong objection) with your stance on politics. Politicians are the reflection of who we are. If you feel something is wrong, change it. If good people, like yourself, start the blame game - The situation will not change.

Coming to the GRE vs GMAT debate - Give a practise test and see where you excel. Some people like the GRE and others like the GMAT. I gave the GRE and I will matriculating this year. So it worked out great for me.
See, it is a standardised test. Take whichever one you are comfortable with. Practise test is a great judge of that.

Now, coming to the question on age- That will be a problem at Top 10-15(or even Top 50) schools in the US. You need to come out and explain your situation in the essays. The essays must be top notch and depict your case and the situation/trauma you went through. Hire a consultant if you may but work hard on your essays. I must add here that US B-schools, in general, are a bit wary of admitting students with your age to the Full time program. They might even ask you to apply to the part time MBA. So its doable but tough.

Have you looked at your European options? Schools like LBS and INSEAD are extremely accommodating w.r.t the age factor.

Best,
Stone
Intern
Intern
Send PM
stonecold wrote:
Hi,
Welcome to the Gmat-club. I hope you doing great and are in the best of your health.
First things first, I don't agree(strong objection) with your stance on politics. Politicians are the reflection of who we are. If you feel something is wrong, change it. If good people, like yourself, start the blame game - The situation will not change.

Coming to the GRE vs GMAT debate - Give a practise test and see where you excel. Some people like the GRE and others like the GMAT. I gave the GRE and I will matriculating this year. So it worked out great for me.
See, it is a standardised test. Take whichever one you are comfortable with. Practise test is a great judge of that.

Now, coming to the question on age- That will be a problem at Top 10-15(or even Top 50) schools in the US. You need to come out and explain your situation in the essays. The essays must be top notch and depict your case and the situation/trauma you went through. Hire a consultant if you may but work hard on your essays. I must add here that US B-schools, in general, are a bit wary of admitting students with your age to the Full time program. They might even ask you to apply to the part time MBA. So its doable but tough.

Have you looked at your European options? Schools like LBS and INSEAD are extremely accommodating w.r.t the age factor.

Best,
Stone

Hi Stone,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. First, you're absolutely right on the political front. And thank you for both the candidness and kind words. I probably came off as too cynical. They wanted me to fall in line and dance to their beat, but I realized long term this is partly what is destroying both our moral fabric and people's faith in the righteousness of politicians (circa back to the time when congressional approval ratings were in the 60s). I cant sell out so I decided I needed my own capital to run on that way I can connect to people and not worry about funding issues and attacks against me etc. Enter the startup space, which I have fallen in love with.

Yes, thank you, ok I will take practices tests for both and see where I stand after.

I know being trained at INSEAD or LBS would be an honor and incredibly humbling. However, I would like to stay in the United States for my MBA. I was thinking about this and feel a part-time program is more realistic and better for me anyway because I want to keep bringing in income while in my program. So where ever I get in I would just work a startup job in the local area anyway then launch my company post graduation. Do you feel that part-time programs at T1-20 would be more friendly to my age? I guess this rules out HBS, Stanford, Tuck, and a few others. I could target part-times at Kellogg, Booth, CBS, Haas, UCLA, USC, Michigan, and others.

I am considering both a tutor and a consultant. I will do whatever it takes to secure a spot in a top 15, top 20 program so we'll see how hard I go.

Also, congrats on beginning your program this fall!

Best,
Ray
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ray,

Thank you for your detailed and honest post. Kudos for accomplishing everything that you have as well. I enjoyed reading your profile specifically as it is one of the more interesting ones. We work with a lot of vets here so I can compare you to others and talk about what you need to do in order to get in. See below for answers to your questions.

(1)* GMAT or GRE?* I just bought Manhattan GMAT. I would probably get higher score with GRE but feel GMAT demonstrates more to Adcoms. Moreover, I will get testing accomodations for either one regardless, just in case that changes anyones calculus here.
There is not a real preference between the two, so you should take what you are better at. I would love to tell you what that is, but we would have to work with you on tutoring to figure that out. https://www.personalmbacoach.com/gmat-gre-tutoring
GMAT does allow you to demonstrate more quant skills since the quant is higher

(2) Fulltime or Parttime? For example, at Booth and Kellogg and Haas frankly, I will be applying to both full and part. I would rather work at a startup in the area and go to a higher ranked school. I am in OC, so USC and UCLA are down here, both have fulltime and parttime programs I will apply to but they are outside of top 15. Up north there's Haas, Stanford, and Wharton SF but latter said if work experience is under 7 years forget it.
I think your strategy of going for FT and PT is a good one. There are many programs where you can leverage some of the FT benefits including recruiting. Booth is a great option and we have clients who really enjoy their PT program. The best thing is to do a mix of both. You aren't considering EMBA are you? You would qualify for those as well.

(3) I am beginning GMAT prep in one week (told myself I had to wait until I get job offers for this year). I think I will take it multiple times this summer then apply round 1 and 2. Should I take any courses online, like Stats or Accounting or Math for MBA's at UCLA extension online? I know it looks better but Id have to take this after I study for the GMAT or GRE and would rather focus all energy on the exam, then take a class online and tell these schools I am enrolled in xyz and can send transcripts if requested etc. Thoughts?
Taking courses is a great idea. It shows that you can handle the material. I can tell you which ones to take after looking at your transcript and resume. Feel free to email me at scott@personalmbacoach.com - That said, we don't want to sacrifice 30 GMAT points to take courses. Ideally we do both.

(4) Anything I am missing or anything else to think about? I know these programs (M7, Top15) have to worry about their ranking and its taboo to bring up, fine, but I also believe they would love someone like me in the mix if I can make it in... give them something to hang their hat on. What is that thing? Is it taking the GRE so they dont have to report my score?
There are many things to think about and one of the most important is the overall story. I would want to dive into the story. Why are you applying now? How will you add to the school? You are correct that if you don't do well on the test, you are better off with GRE. But we want you to do well in order to show your abilities to succeed.

(5) If its green light on the GMAT, then I already have a full MGMAT set and Kaplan flashcards to read in the gym. Any other material? I was thinking go on GMAC and get more tests and possibly their main book? Idk, anything that could have out a not math-whiz like bootcamp books? If its GRE, then I should return the MGMAT, get their GRE prep, and what else?
You have a lot of material so it may be more around determining the right strategies with everything. There is too much material out there these days so don't get bogged down by that.

Reach out and we can explore more!

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot