GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Waitlist help!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Waitlist help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 01:28
Hi all

The GMATclub forum has been immensely helpful so far. I've got a question about the MBA waitlist and hope you will be able to help me out.

I was waitlisted for 1 of the schools I applied to and will be meeting up with Adcom for a discussion.
If Adcom asks which other schools I have been accepted/ waitlisted, what would be the best response?
I want to reiterate that the school is definitely my top choice.
I have other offers in the bag but do I have to reveal it?

Thanks!
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Waitlist help! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 01:37
gmatmadness101 wrote:
Hi all

The GMATclub forum has been immensely helpful so far. I've got a question about the MBA waitlist and hope you will be able to help me out.

I was waitlisted for 1 of the schools I applied to and will be meeting up with Adcom for a discussion.
If Adcom asks which other schools I have been accepted/ waitlisted, what would be the best response?

Thanks!

If this school is your top choice, write down the reasons, and prioritise them. Take the top 3 and practice explaining it to a friend/ someone you respect.

If other schools that are in your bag fall short of being your best choice because if these reasons, you have to do less of convincing.

That said, do let them know of your other offers..

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 01:43
Hey gmatmadness101 ,

Welcome to GMATClub :)

I would say name one school which is of equivalent rank and maybe two schools at a lower rank.

Make sure you tell them that school XYZ is still my first love. ;)

All the best :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Expert Post
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 02:39
Wholeheartedly agree with TheIvyLeagueEdge on this one.

Stay focused on why this school, rather than why not competing schools.

As for me, I generally advise to only mention schools that are beneath the rank of the one in question. This way they are less concerned that if they choose you...you will choose them back.

I do see however how it might make you look more desirable to be sought after by one of their competing schools... but make sure that competing school X is less of a fit with your goals and values than their school.

The keyword here is fit. So that means you need to be quite clear about your goals and about their schools offerings to show how this is the ideal school to help you realize said goals.

They want to know that if they extend the opportunity to you that it will be well leveraged and not squandered because it is a scarce resource.

Quite honestly I think you should be more concerned about what you're going to be saying on this interview. I hope that you have engaged with someone as to why your application has been wait-listed and that you're going to provide additional insights and evidence on whatever has been a shortfall. Should that be your goals, leadership, etc. Make sure you are crystal clear on why you've been wait-listed and then by all means make sure you have a strategy and a *succinct* presentation to make to them, otherwise it's really a wasted opportunity.

Good luck !

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 04:20
gmatmadness101 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks!

Congrats on the waitlist! This means they really liked your application, but just don't have enough spots for you at this time. You should definitely let them know it is your #1 choice and you would instantly accept an offer. In addition, tell them any other school you were accepted at (similarly ranked schools. It won't help to mention a school that is much lower ranked). They key is to show them how you have improved since you submitted the application AND what you have done to show interest in the school. Who else have you met with on campus, etc? These are just a couple things to keep in mind.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. We have a waitlist package as well if you are interested. Just this week three clients got in off waitlists at M7 schools. That said, the waitlist process can certainly be random so expect nothing and hope for the best.

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/waitlist-strategy

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 05:49
gmatmadness101 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks!

Hi gmatmadness101,

Apologies for the delay in responding to you but we hope this finds you in time still.

We recommend that you mention the name of a program of an equivalent rank and two others of a slightly lower rank. The idea, of course, is to communicate the school in question is your absolute favorite. Hence, indicating a higher ranked school will not serve the purpose :)

Further to the above, it is very important to speak about the following:
- How your profile and career are in complete sync with the offerings of the said program and how you will be able to contribute towards the same.
- Focus on how your profile has improved since the time you submitted your application.

Hope this helps!

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 02:21
gmatmadness101 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks!

We recommend to mention 2 other schools. If possible, we recommend that the 2 other schools will be a bit easier to get into, than the current school (not much easier). In any case don't lie becasue schools can look at the GMAT score report to see which other schools an applicant sent their scores. Of course don't forget to explain why is this school a good fit for you!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Re: Waitlist help!   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2018, 02:21

Waitlist help!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hatakekakashi, gmatexam439

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap