Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: WARWICK Msc Finance and Economics 2012-13 [#permalink]
Hello Oblivision,

My Stats:

22 years old
Gpa: first honor degree Economics
GMAT: 670 (48Q, 34V)
WORK Experience: 2 internships in finance and currently working in a big commercial bank in Risk Management.

From what I heard, WBS doesn't care much of the GMAT (it is not required and there isn't even the space to put it in the application). They really require a first honor (comparable to a very high GPA).
What does "very average gpa score" mean?
Given that your GMAT is very good and you work experience solid, if your GPA is still comparable to a 2.1 you should apply.
Have you considered other Uni?
Cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info!
I studied in the spanish system, where they grade you from 0 to 10. My average grades were 6.7 out of 10; an approximate translation would be "Second class honours, upper division (2:1)"
However, getting very high grades in Spain is not usual (I took many exams where 7 out of 10 was the highest score). I just hope they take it into consideration.

I am also going to apply to St Gallen, IE, ESADE, Bocconi, CEMFI and Imperial (this one, like WBS, focuses a lot on GPA, but I have to try, I love the culture they have at this school).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't know how to evaluate your GPA.. but Bocconi should be safe given your GMAT (very high for Bocconi) e given that you are not Italian (they want "non-italian" students). However even if Bocconi is excellent for finance, the classical MSc Finance is TWO year (too long). There is also a Master in Quantitative Finance and Risk Management (MAFINRISK) which is one year and is more suited for your profile.. (25 with 2 years or WE).

BTW..What do you know about Imperial MSc Finance? Which one is better btw WBS and IC in terms of employment?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I personally don't see those two years as too long, I see it as a great opportunity to learn a new language (something that does not seem feasible in a 1 year program) and I think that summer between years would be a great opportunity for good internships (I have no experience in IB).

IC vs WBS: I only have the information I've gathered through hours of lurking in the forums, but the general perception is that Imperial and Warwick are at the same level in terms of placement and name and just below LBS, Oxbridge and LSE, but above all the rest.

I like that Warwick is not in London, so I don't get too distracted (and the life is cheaper), but Imperial seems to have a lot of potential and is growing very fast (I see Imperial articles and research papers referenced very often, and I am a big fan of their student's magazine, called Felix).

BTW, I will check the MAFINRISK to see it fits my objectives, although I don't see myself as a quant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@oblivision..man you will be accepted..Warwick dont consider gmat unless everyone they are taking have a good gmat score..i personally have a 730...but one of my friends with NO gmat has got through..she had nice recommendations a superb SOP and good Undergrad marks..

@stratiotes..Warwick's thing is its exposure is very limited in UK..but again UK is the financial hub of the world these days..my dad works in MORGAN STANLEY..he said that their recruitment team ranks the europe colleges in somewhat this way

1.HEC
2.St.gallen
3.WBS
4.SAID
5.LSE
6.IE business
and so on...

so i dont think getting a job would be problem..the problem for me is the visa as Mr.brown has abolished the post study work visa..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
neil2108 wrote:
@oblivision..man you will be accepted..Warwick dont consider gmat unless everyone they are taking have a good gmat score..i personally have a 730...but one of my friends with NO gmat has got through..she had nice recommendations a superb SOP and good Undergrad marks..

@stratiotes..Warwick's thing is its exposure is very limited in UK..but again UK is the financial hub of the world these days..my dad works in MORGAN STANLEY..he said that their recruitment team ranks the europe colleges in somewhat this way

1.HEC
2.St.gallen
3.WBS
4.SAID
5.LSE
6.IE business
and so on...

so i dont think getting a job would be problem..the problem for me is the visa as Mr.brown has abolished the post study work visa..

Where are you from? Does st gallen have such a good reputation even outside german countries?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@alexba91
It does it does. However, I am from spain and didn't hear about it before I started looking for b schools, but uk recruiters know it well
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am from INDIA..But i was talking more about USA..it seems they do take it into account..and pretty highly..

For the newly admitted i have added a new page fb please join

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warwick-B ... 8882869271
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

I also received an offer from Warwick business school for the MSc Finance and Economics program.However, I did not fully understand how much time do I have to accept or reject my offer.Do I have 6 weeks to respond from the date I received the official admission email?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@neil2108: thanks for your inputs.
@gha111: Yes, in my mail containing the offer, it is explicitly written that we have 6 weeks to accept or decline the offer.

Hey guys what do you think about the CFA program? I am just thinking to take the level I in june, just before to start my MSc in september. Do you think it is useless given that I will do a MSc or It will add value to my profile when, after the master, I will look for a decent job in investment banking/asset management in London?
Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived WBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our WBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated WBS Forum for all fresh things related to the WBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts