GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 15:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (03:12) correct 71% (01:31) wrong based on 7 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either for the Revolutionary Party or for the Status Quo Party. This year, the number of revolutionary voters increased 10%, while the number of Status Que voters increased 5%. No other votes were cast. If the number of total voters increased 8%, what fraction of voters voted Revolutionary this year?

according to alligation rule:q1/q2=c2-cm/cm-c1.
c2(revolution)=10,c1(status)=5,cm(voters)=8
therefore, revolutionary/status quo=10-8/8-5=2/3.
fraction of voters voted Revolutionary this year=2/5=.40
where i went wrong,pls explain
11/18
Math Expert
V
Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 15:47
TomB wrote:
Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either for the Revolutionary Party or for the Status Quo Party. This year, the number of revolutionary voters increased 10%, while the number of Status Que voters increased 5%. No other votes were cast. If the number of total voters increased 8%, what fraction of voters voted Revolutionary this year?

11/18

Here is another approach maybe you find it easier:
Set the equation for the number of total voters this year: \(1.1R+1.05S=1.08(R+S)\) --> \(2R=3S\)

The question is \(\frac{1.1R}{1.1R+1.05S}=?\) --> \(\frac{1.1R}{1.1R+1.05S}=\frac{110R}{110R+105S}\). Now, as \(2R=3S\) then \(70R=105S\) (multiplying by 35) --> substitute 105S by 70R: \(\frac{110R}{110R+105S}=\frac{110R}{110R+70R}=\frac{11}{18}\)

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2012, 11:40
TomB wrote:

11/18

please pay attention, that u are asked the fraction of these guys AFTER the increase

in fact, u were on a right way

1.1R+1.05Q=1.08(R+Q)
2R=3Q
till here everything was ok with ur solution

2R=3Q means R/Q=3/2
it means that R=3/5*TOTAL

now u need to find our the fraction of all these guys after increase
lets assume that total was 5 , then R was 3
after increase (3+10%)/(5+8%)=3.3/5.4=33/54=11/18

hope I could be helpful :)

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2012, 11:47
thank you guys. got it
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2012, 06:21
Let voters for revolutionary party be a and that for the status quo party be b
so this year voters for revolutionary party be a+a/10 and for status quo party be b+5b/100
and the increase in the voters be (a+b)+(a+b)8/100 ................(1)
so (a+b)+(a+b)8/100 = a+a/10 + b+5b/100
on solving we get 3b=2a
put this in eq (1) and we get the value as 18a/10
so the fraction is (11a/10)/(18a/10) =11/18
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 02:07
TomB wrote:

11/18

I am having real trouble with these questions. The Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guide is providing a good way to solve this, with the chart - and I'm understanding the solutions very well. But the trouble is, when I see a similar problem, I'm getting stuck because I can't seem to reinitiate similar logic for that question. Although I'm just starting up, I need to know if there is a simpler logic-flow I can follow and I will understand the moment I see it. Can anyone help me with this?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 May 2014, 22:09
Dear Iaratul

My suggestion would be to try constructing equations directly from the word problem, whenever you feel puzzled about how to fit the alligation chart in the given scenario. These equations are pretty easy to write.

Let me illustrate what I mean with a sample question.

Question: A box contains a mixture of coffee powder and sugar. Adding 20% more coffee and 30% more sugar to the box increases the weight of the box by 25%. What is the current ratio of coffee powder and sugar in the box?

Solution:

We will solve this through the equation method.

Let the amount of coffee initially = c
Amount of sugar initially = s
So, initial weight of the box = c+s (discounting the weight of the material from which the box is made, since it remains constant throughout the question)

Now, how much coffee was added? 20% of c.
So, what will be the final amount of coffee? c+20% of c = 1.2c
Similarly, the final amount of sugar = 1.3 s

After adding both these things, when the weight of the box was measured, it came to be 25% more than before.

So, new weight = 1.25(old weight) = 1.25(c+s)

Now,

New weight of the box = New weight of coffee + New weight of sugar

1.25(c+s) = 1.2c + 1.3s

Solving these, we get, c=s

So,

\(\frac{Current Ratio of Coffee}{Current Ratio of Sugar}\) \(=\frac{1.2c}{1.3s}\)\(=\frac{12}{13}\)

Hope I could help!

Please press Kudos if you were helped by my post!

Originally posted by JapinderKaur on 21 May 2014, 12:13.
Last edited by JapinderKaur on 21 May 2014, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 22:03
iaratul wrote:
TomB wrote:

11/18

I am having real trouble with these questions. The Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guide is providing a good way to solve this, with the chart - and I'm understanding the solutions very well. But the trouble is, when I see a similar problem, I'm getting stuck because I can't seem to reinitiate similar logic for that question. Although I'm just starting up, I need to know if there is a simpler logic-flow I can follow and I will understand the moment I see it. Can anyone help me with this?

Try out this post. It discusses this approach in detail. Once you understand it well, such questions will become very simple.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... -averages/

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 23:11
Revol............... Status Quo.............. Total

x ................... 100-x ...................... 100 (assumed)

10% increase in Revol; 5% increase in Status Quo; Total increase = 8%

New values as below

\(x+\frac{10x}{100} ......... 100-x + \frac{5(100-x)}{100} ............ 108\)

Solving the equation as below:

\(\frac{110x}{100} + \frac{10500-105x}{100} = 108\)

x = 60

\(\frac{110x}{100} = 66 =\)Votes obtained by Revol this year

108 = Total votes polled this year

\(Ratio = \frac{66}{108} = \frac{11}{18}\)

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2014, 08:17
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
iaratul wrote:
TomB wrote:

11/18

Try out this post. It discusses this approach in detail. Once you understand it well, such questions will become very simple.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... -averages/

Hi Karishma.
I went over the link you gave here, but am still having problems implementing this correctly.
I tried the scale method and got a 2/3 ration but I don't see how to move on from here.
Can you help?
P

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2014, 20:23
ronr34 wrote:

Hi Karishma.
I went over the link you gave here, but am still having problems implementing this correctly.
I tried the scale method and got a 2/3 ration but I don't see how to move on from here.
Can you help?

What is 2/3 that you obtained? It is the original ratio of Status Quo/Revolutionary. So total voters on the ratio scale is 5.

What you need is "what fraction of voters voted Revolutionary this year?"

This year, revolutionary voters increased 10%
Revolutionary voters = 3*(1.1)
Total voters = 5*(1.08)

Fraction of Revolutionary voters \(= \frac{3*1.1}{5*1.08} = \frac{11}{18}\)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 23:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 23:50

Last year, all registered voters in Kumannia voted either

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap