Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:36 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 684 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Weird Verbal Scores on actual GMAT [#permalink]
Hi guys

Please help me out! I took the GMAT on 26th october 2010 and a shocking 650 (Q47 and V32). I have been getting 740-770(Q50 and V40+ always) on GMATPREP. I took 3 Manhattan CAT"S got : 710 (Q48 V 38) 690(Q48 V36) 720(Q48 V40). 4 Knewton CAT's ( 770 (Q49 V47) 700 (Q48 V38) 730 (Q49 V40) and 770 (Q 49 V48).

In none of the tests I got less than a 700 except for the Manhattan CAT, whose verbal especially CR is very different from actual GMAT and whose RC questions are not as crystal clear as those in GMATPrep and in Knewton).

During the test I thought I performed bad on quant (because of lot of noise ; I guessed first 4-5 q's , so I think a 47 can be justified). But I can't find any explanation for a 32 on verbal. In my previous attempt of GMAT, I performed much worse ( because I felt I didn't undertsnad why I was choosing an answer.) But, I still managed a 34 on verbal.

I seriously think there was a bug in my algorithm.

Also, I read on the internet that many previous test takers,especially at my center, which is not really a Pearson VUE center but administers the exam for Pearson (GLOBAL ASCENT TESTING CENTER), have reported issues such as disconnection of internet, the freezing of the computer screen. This further makes me skeptical that my computer's algorithm might have had a bug.

My previous test center, a real PEARSON VUE center, was in delhi. I got a score of 640 that tiem around, but honestly, I didn't expect much either because I barely touched 670 on any of my CATs.

Do you guys think that taking GMAT again,this time in delhi, in a month will improve my chances of getting a better score? I'm again studying the materials that I studied last time to remain in touch with the test.

Also, it would be great if someone else who had similar experience share his/her experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi.. All.

Same story happened with me...... My score is 560 (Q-48 & V-20 only). Infact, one day before I took GMAT prep (though retake) but I managed to score 38 and in my other tests such as Manhattan, Princeton , which were taken in one month before real exam, the range of verbal score is from 28 to 36. I do not know what to do due to this I could not able to apply in R2 and have to take exam in dec again. Should i lodge complaint with GMAC ????????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
aimkp wrote:
Hi.. All.

Same story happened with me...... My score is 560 (Q-48 & V-20 only). Infact, one day before I took GMAT prep (though retake) but I managed to score 38 and in my other tests such as Manhattan, Princeton , which were taken in one month before real exam, the range of verbal score is from 28 to 36. I do not know what to do due to this I could not able to apply in R2 and have to take exam in dec again. Should i lodge complaint with GMAC ????????

Clearly you got a score way below your avg. Prep scores even you didn't find the actual GMAT verbal to be that difficult, so I think you should register a complaint. This would at least bring this to their notice and if its an issue, hopefully they will rectify it by the time you re-take. The GMAT test is thoroughly tested but its still possible that a bug could slip through. It could also be a problem with the center.. did you also write in the same center the person above you was talking about?

I wrote GMAT on Oct. 27 but I got 46 in Verbal, which is not so far away from my usual Prep scores, but I wrote in Bangalore.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2385 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
aimkp,
I think gmatprep may not representative of the real potential after the third retake. Scores are likely to be biased as soon as you encounter the repeated questions. I believe the score you get the first time is the correct measure of the potential, so if you have taken gmatprep 10 times - you might score 800 on the gmatprep but the score is distorted.

So my question is how much you scored on the first day on gmatprep? Your real test score should be greater than or equal to this one. If not then there is a problem in the system. And this is alarming for all of us who are scheduled for the next appointment.

Looking forward for suggestions from experts.

nusmavrik

srjaidev wrote:
aimkp wrote:
Hi.. All.

Clearly you got a score way below your avg. Prep scores even you didn't find the actual GMAT verbal to be that difficult, so I think you should register a complaint. This would at least bring this to their notice and if its an issue, hopefully they will rectify it by the time you re-take. The GMAT test is thoroughly tested but its still possible that a bug could slip through. It could also be a problem with the center.. did you also write in the same center the person above you was talking about?

I wrote GMAT on Oct. 27 but I got 46 in Verbal, which is not so far away from my usual Prep scores, but I wrote in Bangalore.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
yup same deal here fellas. Took it on Octob 23 and I got a 25V. I usually get like 31 32 33.

I asked for them to check that out because I never scored that low on any of the CAT but obviously, they got my money already, they didn't care.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Founder
37408 posts