GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Welcome to Ask mbaMission

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 199
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 18:44
Hey gautam124
Thanks for getting in touch. With 12 years out of school, you are much more experienced than the average MBA candidate. My suggestion given your level of experience is that you focus on executive programs or that you focus on lower-ranked programs, where your 12 years of experience and 650 will not harm you overmuch. I think you've done the right thing already by reaching out to schools directly and seeing what they say. I'm glad you have already received some positive feedback from a few schools. Rotman and Ivey are probably going to be tough -- and it sounds like Ivey has already told you this -- because of your level of experience and your GMAT. You'll also find that scholarships are hard to get at the top school level so if money is what you are after, go outside the top 20. I hope that helps!

My best,
Krista
_________________

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 49
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 09:36
Hi! Can i please get your valuable insights here?
I scored a 670 gmat! I am looking at Mim one year programs.

Do i stand a chance at LBS, LSE or NUS?
Also what other schools would you recommend?

Here is a little background on my profile:

Age: 21 (Indian Female)
Class 10: cgpa 10
Class 12: 94.5%
Graduation: 70% ( First division from GNDU. Accredited with A status from Naac)

Internships:
*Accountancy Intern, Sports Specialist Pvt. Limited, Jalandhar (June 2015- August 2015)
*Management Intern, Universal Sports Industry (December 2015- February 2016)

Work Experience and background:
I come from a business family and eventually want to set up my own business.
Currently working with father since first year of college.
Expanded work and set up two independent units of my own.
Working on 2 more projects with him.

Have a decent range of curricular activities and social work.

Thanks a lot
aggarwal.srishti@yahoo.com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 07:30
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 199
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 13:28
Hi srishti201996
Thanks for getting in touch! To be fair, we focus more on MBA applicants than Masters of Management applicants but it still sounds like you have some good things going for you. I do worry that your GMAT is on the lower side for your demographic. If you've only taken the exam once, for the best shot at this process, I recommend taking the exam again and trying to get yourself up over 700. Look at the average GMAT scores for the MiM programs you are interested in, and then add at least 30 points to get to the score you want to target.
Also, for your goals, definitely flesh them out a bit. Start your own business doing what? Make sure that's clear to the AdComs. You should also look at their employment reports and understand what typical career paths look like. If entrepreneurship isn't a big feature of the program, you may want to make that more a long-term goal and go with something the school is well-positioned to help you with in the short-term.
I hope that helps!
Krista

srishti201996 wrote:
Hi! Can i please get your valuable insights here?
I scored a 670 gmat! I am looking at Mim one year programs.

Do i stand a chance at LBS, LSE or NUS?
Also what other schools would you recommend?

Here is a little background on my profile:

Age: 21 (Indian Female)
Class 10: cgpa 10
Class 12: 94.5%
Graduation: 70% ( First division from GNDU. Accredited with A status from Naac)

Internships:
*Accountancy Intern, Sports Specialist Pvt. Limited, Jalandhar (June 2015- August 2015)
*Management Intern, Universal Sports Industry (December 2015- February 2016)

Work Experience and background:
I come from a business family and eventually want to set up my own business.
Currently working with father since first year of college.
Expanded work and set up two independent units of my own.
Working on 2 more projects with him.

Have a decent range of curricular activities and social work.

Thanks a lot
aggarwal.srishti@yahoo.com

_________________

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 199
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 13:38
Hi Apawar91
Thanks for getting in touch. This can be a tough process and your demographic is very competitive in two ways: Indian engineer by degree and then banker by profession. To be successful and stand out, I'd really want to see 750+. (Get a private tutor to just work on what YOU need. Also, while the AWA isn't likely the reason you were dinged, the 4 is a bit of a red-flag to me and makes me wonder what your essays looked like so please try to get that score up too.) It can also be challenging to crack some schools without IIT on your CV, but obviously there's not much you can change there. I do think you'd be a more interesting applicant if you were London-based. Not many people get selected for an international transfer, so if GS is offering that to you, it says a lot about you. (Although I am a little worried about 3 banks in 3 years.) Non-profit is hard to comment on without knowing more, and at this stage, you'd only have about 6 months there before applying to b-school and you've already switched employers three times...so staying put is my gut reaction, but opting for the international transfer if you can swing it.

For your reapplications, I highly recommend getting everything in in R1. Also, look around at GS and any recent former colleagues who have gotten into top b-schools. Where have they gone? What did their profiles look like? What were their stats? Who wrote their recs? Gathering this information will give you more insight into what might be possible.

I also recommend a much broader swath of schools and I would encourage you to think beyond the M7, especially if you can't break 730 on the GMAT. I know that may not be what you want to do, but this is a highly competitive process and there are no shortage of male investment bankers applying, particularly ones educated in India.

Krista


Apawar91 wrote:

_________________

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 07:34
Hi!! Can you please evaluate my profile?

Indian Male
Class 10 : 95.6%
Class 12 : 95.2%
UnderGrad(2015) : 8.25/10
GMAT : 660(Q-43;V-38)
Planning to apply for 2019 intake.

Work Experience:
1. 24 months - a leading IT service provider; currently part of a 3 member team.
2. A couple of months in a state owned enterprise.

Have organized a number of events in college; involved in the complete build-up of events right from brainstorming names for the event to distribution of awards. Also have designed posters, banners and certificates as part of the events.
Community service : Few and far between; but planning on improving on this in the days to come.

I am planning on making a switch to a marketing career, specifically in the consumer goods sector and I feel that an MBA would help my cause. I plan on taking up the GMAT one more time. What are my chances of being admitted into some of the top(top 20 -30) programs.
Also would it be beneficial if I get some part time(say internship) experience in the marketing domain before I start my MBA? Or would an internship after a few years of full-time work be considered a negative?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 928
Reviews Badge
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 13:59
Hi Pr93sath!

Yes, I agree that an MBA would help you make a switch to marketing. We have seen some applicants do "pre-MBA internships" so if this is something you can arrange and you can explain it as an intentional move to gain transferable skills, I think it is an option worth considering. Alternatively, if there's any way to gain exposure to marketing activities or the marketing function at your current company, that could work too (cross-functional projects? inter-department committees? job shadowing?).

Otherwise, I agree that GMAT and boosting your extracurriculars, in particular your leadership, are the right focus areas. I think you really need a score above 700 to be targeting schools in the 20-30 range. Your quant score in particular needs improving.

Best of luck!
Kate

Pr93sath wrote:
Hi!! Can you please evaluate my profile?

Indian Male
Class 10 : 95.6%
Class 12 : 95.2%
UnderGrad(2015) : 8.25/10
GMAT : 660(Q-43;V-38)
Planning to apply for 2019 intake.

Work Experience:
1. 24 months - a leading IT service provider; currently part of a 3 member team.
2. A couple of months in a state owned enterprise.

Have organized a number of events in college; involved in the complete build-up of events right from brainstorming names for the event to distribution of awards. Also have designed posters, banners and certificates as part of the events.
Community service : Few and far between; but planning on improving on this in the days to come.

I am planning on making a switch to a marketing career, specifically in the consumer goods sector and I feel that an MBA would help my cause. I plan on taking up the GMAT one more time. What are my chances of being admitted into some of the top(top 20 -30) programs.
Also would it be beneficial if I get some part time(say internship) experience in the marketing domain before I start my MBA? Or would an internship after a few years of full-time work be considered a negative?

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Sign up for a free phone consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 12:48
1
Hi
I already have an MBA from a reputed B school in India, does that mean that Ivy League universities and schools like INSEAD will not prefer me as a candidate?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 12:52
Hello there !Need help

10th marks-82.6%(97/100 in mathematics).(3rd rank in school)
12th marks-76.8%.(Commerce)
Graduation marks-A grade~3.0/4(evaluated by WES education) in Bechlore of management studies.

Graduation College-Gurunank Khalsha, Matunga University of Mumbai.NAAC 'A' grade with 3.57/4GPA.

GMAT-750

Work experience
-Failed startup at 19 year age after 2months launched another startup made over 10k$.
-internship for 3 months in Tata Business support services.

-Launched online retailing website for selling products in USA,UK, Germany, Italy,Japan and Eroupe while 2nd year of undergraduting (20 age)
-Startup grown from 60k$ revenue per year to 2.4Million $ per year. Within 24 months.
Previous year's revenue was 3Million$ revenue.

-I have 7 employees based in India and 5 China and 2 Japanese.
-Overall full time working experience is 3 years.

-International experience.
-I have offices based India,China worked in them.
-Travled upto 10 countries.
-Lived in China for 6 months and 4 months in Japan.

-Extracurricular activities-

-I used to be captain of School cricket team.
-Won Quiz competition for School.
-Won Eassy competition for school.
-Won District level debate competition.
-Worked for National Service Scheme in college.
-Taught orphan child Maths, English and Entrepreneurship.
-Did volunteer marketing campaign for NGO.
-Raised fund for NGO amount 20k$.
-Captain of Cricket club.
-Winner of Swimming competition in Club.
- Rafting in India's famous spot.
-Hiked major indian Mountains.

-Post MBA goals-
1.Want to learn process of MNCs.
2.To Start own start-up.
3.MBA would help me in my entrepreneurship goal.
4.Need Leadership exposure at Global level.


I am aiming for.

-Wharton Business school
-MIT,Sloan(Dream one)
-Tuck at Dartmouth.
-New york stern/ CBS.

Should i gain more working experience or appply in 2019?.What is Chances to get into Wharton or MIT.?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 12:53
Hi
I already have an MBA from a reputed B school in India, does that mean that Ivy League universities and schools like INSEAD will not prefer me as a candidate?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jun 2018
Posts: 20
Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 21:59
1
Surajkumar0969589 wrote:
Hello there !Need help

10th marks-82.6%(97/100 in mathematics).(3rd rank in school)
12th marks-76.8%.(Commerce)
Graduation marks-A grade~3.0/4(evaluated by WES education) in Bechlore of management studies.

Graduation College-Gurunank Khalsha, Matunga University of Mumbai.NAAC 'A' grade with 3.57/4GPA.

GMAT-750

Work experience
-Failed startup at 19 year age after 2months launched another startup made over 10k$.
-internship for 3 months in Tata Business support services.

-Launched online retailing website for selling products in USA,UK, Germany, Italy,Japan and Eroupe while 2nd year of undergraduting (20 age)
-Startup grown from 60k$ revenue per year to 2.4Million $ per year. Within 24 months.
Previous year's revenue was 3Million$ revenue.

-I have 7 employees based in India and 5 China and 2 Japanese.
-Overall full time working experience is 3 years.

-International experience.
-I have offices based India,China worked in them.
-Travled upto 10 countries.
-Lived in China for 6 months and 4 months in Japan.

-Extracurricular activities-

-I used to be captain of School cricket team.
-Won Quiz competition for School.
-Won Eassy competition for school.
-Won District level debate competition.
-Worked for National Service Scheme in college.
-Taught orphan child Maths, English and Entrepreneurship.
-Did volunteer marketing campaign for NGO.
-Raised fund for NGO amount 20k$.
-Captain of Cricket club.
-Winner of Swimming competition in Club.
- Rafting in India's famous spot.
-Hiked major indian Mountains.

-Post MBA goals-
1.Want to learn process of MNCs.
2.To Start own start-up.
3.MBA would help me in my entrepreneurship goal.
4.Need Leadership exposure at Global level.


I am aiming for.

-Wharton Business school
-MIT,Sloan(Dream one)
-Tuck at Dartmouth.
-New york stern/ CBS.

Should i gain more working experience or appply in 2019?.What is Chances to get into Wharton or MIT.?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi, Surajkumar0969589!
You sound like you have some really interesting experience! You demonstrate resilience (failed startup and second, more successful attempt) and have posted strong performance and growth of your venture. International work experience is definitely helpful too. I'm a little unclear on what you mean by 3 years of full time work experience when it sounds like you started your newer company at age 20 while at school. Do you mean you started it in college and then continued it for an additional 3 years after graduating, or that you started it at 20 while in school and now have been doing it for 3 years, thus you are 23? Depending on your answer there, schools may want you to wait a bit longer - 23 is young for the programs you've named.

I also think your goals are a bit vague. Top schools will be looking for real clarity from you and a specific path, both short term and long term, after graduation. You've already started your own startup (twice!), how exactly will an MBA at these schools help you with your plans? Leadership exposure and learning about MNCs are fine ideas, but try to be more specific about which leaders, which MNCs, why and how these lessons will help you in your next venture. Also, what will happen to your business while at school? Is it still operating? The schools will need to understand more about what your plans are and where you're going.

As for your extracurriculars, you are smart to be thinking about that aspect of your application. The top programs definitely look at your profile holistically and seek candidates who are active in their communities in some way as a proxy for what they might contribute on campus and beyond. Some of the activities you listed sound like they are from your university experience or maybe even earlier, are others more recent? If you don't have anything recent, try to get involved in something substantial soon. Participation is good; leadership is better. Perhaps you can connect it to one of your earlier endeavors to create a longer story of involvement?

Those are the major questions I have about your candidacy. The programs you're targeting are highly selective and attract a large number of intelligent, high GMAT Indian applicants, so you'll have to go beyond your (solid) grades and (very good!) GMAT score to demonstrate some of the other things they are seeking like maturity, direction, community involvement and strong fit with their specific programs. I hope this helps! Thanks very much for posting.

_________________
Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jun 2018
Posts: 20
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 22:39
raghavraisingla wrote:
Hi
I already have an MBA from a reputed B school in India, does that mean that Ivy League universities and schools like INSEAD will not prefer me as a candidate?


Hi, raghavraisingla! INSEAD and many top US MBA programs will consider your application (with some exceptions- Dartmouth/Tuck, for example, will not consider applicants who already have an MBA) but they will all have questions about why you need their MBA on top of what you already have. Also, as always, it will depend on what else you submit in your application - your academic performance, your GMAT score, your work experience and leadership, your extracurricular activities, the strength of your essays and fit with their programs.

If you would like to go over your profile in detail, please set up a free consultation with one of us through the mbaMission web site, and we'll be happy to give more targeted advice. Thanks for posting!

------
Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 00:21
mbaMissionJA wrote:
Surajkumar0969589 wrote:
Hello there !Need help

10th marks-82.6%(97/100 in mathematics).(3rd rank in school)
12th marks-76.8%.(Commerce)
Graduation marks-A grade~3.0/4(evaluated by WES education) in Bechlore of management studies.

Graduation College-Gurunank Khalsha, Matunga University of Mumbai.NAAC 'A' grade with 3.57/4GPA.

GMAT-750

Work experience
-Failed startup at 19 year age after 2months launched another startup made over 10k$.
-internship for 3 months in Tata Business support services.

-Launched online retailing website for selling products in USA,UK, Germany, Italy,Japan and Eroupe while 2nd year of undergraduting (20 age)
-Startup grown from 60k$ revenue per year to 2.4Million $ per year. Within 24 months.
Previous year's revenue was 3Million$ revenue.

-I have 7 employees based in India and 5 China and 2 Japanese.
-Overall full time working experience is 3 years.

-International experience.
-I have offices based India,China worked in them.
-Travled upto 10 countries.
-Lived in China for 6 months and 4 months in Japan.

-Extracurricular activities-

-I used to be captain of School cricket team.
-Won Quiz competition for School.
-Won Eassy competition for school.
-Won District level debate competition.
-Worked for National Service Scheme in college.
-Taught orphan child Maths, English and Entrepreneurship.
-Did volunteer marketing campaign for NGO.
-Raised fund for NGO amount 20k$.
-Captain of Cricket club.
-Winner of Swimming competition in Club.
- Rafting in India's famous spot.
-Hiked major indian Mountains.

-Post MBA goals-
1.Want to learn process of MNCs.
2.To Start own start-up.
3.MBA would help me in my entrepreneurship goal.
4.Need Leadership exposure at Global level.


I am aiming for.

-Wharton Business school
-MIT,Sloan(Dream one)
-Tuck at Dartmouth.
-New york stern/ CBS.

Should i gain more working experience or appply in 2019?.What is Chances to get into Wharton or MIT.?

Posted from my mobile device


Hi, Surajkumar0969589!
You sound like you have some really interesting experience! You demonstrate resilience (failed startup and second, more successful attempt) and have posted strong performance and growth of your venture. International work experience is definitely helpful too. I'm a little unclear on what you mean by 3 years of full time work experience when it sounds like you started your newer company at age 20 while at school. Do you mean you started it in college and then continued it for an additional 3 years after graduating, or that you started it at 20 while in school and now have been doing it for 3 years, thus you are 23? Depending on your answer there, schools may want you to wait a bit longer - 23 is young for the programs you've named.

I also think your goals are a bit vague. Top schools will be looking for real clarity from you and a specific path, both short term and long term, after graduation. You've already started your own startup (twice!), how exactly will an MBA at these schools help you with your plans? Leadership exposure and learning about MNCs are fine ideas, but try to be more specific about which leaders, which MNCs, why and how these lessons will help you in your next venture. Also, what will happen to your business while at school? Is it still operating? The schools will need to understand more about what your plans are and where you're going.

As for your extracurriculars, you are smart to be thinking about that aspect of your application. The top programs definitely look at your profile holistically and seek candidates who are active in their communities in some way as a proxy for what they might contribute on campus and beyond. Some of the activities you listed sound like they are from your university experience or maybe even earlier, are others more recent? If you don't have anything recent, try to get involved in something substantial soon. Participation is good; leadership is better. Perhaps you can connect it to one of your earlier endeavors to create a longer story of involvement?

Those are the major questions I have about your candidacy. The programs you're targeting are highly selective and attract a large number of intelligent, high GMAT Indian applicants, so you'll have to go beyond your (solid) grades and (very good!) GMAT score to demonstrate some of the other things they are seeking like maturity, direction, community involvement and strong fit with their specific programs. I hope this helps! Thanks very much for posting.

_________________
Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 11:57
Hi,
I'm in quite the dilemma and wondering if you guys can help me make a decision I won't regret. I am a black (African) female looking at M7 schools. I have a 3.4 GPA from a liberal arts college (top 20). I majored in Economics and minored in Mathematics. I recently took the GMAT and scored 730. My work experience has been in wealth management in top wealth management firm and now working with my family business back home in an African Country. I recently applied to HBX Core to strengthen my profile. Now 'm rethinking my decision to partake in the program. I would rather use the funds to take a trip to each of the schools I want to apply to to help me make a more informed decision as to where to finally go to. With this background I have given you, do you think I should forgo the HBX core program or do you think I will benefit a great deal from taking it?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Premium Member
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 14:06
Hi MBA Mission,

I'm in a weird spot and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice. Just took my second GMAT.........

Scored 710 44Q/42V on my first administration. Was very disappointed that my Quant was so low, so I went back for a second go around and ended up doing 660 48Q/32V......I'm a native-speaker of English with an Ivy League background who has never scored lower than 40 on a practice test in Verbal. Needless to say I'm quite upset right now.

Can you offer me any advice? If I were applying, should I submit both scores to schools to let them know that I have aptitude in both Verbal and Quant? Would admissions officers even take that into consideration?

Thank you so much for any attention you're able to give to this question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 04:04
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate if an expert can evaluate my profile:

-Indian with 3 years of Work Ex after 3 years of undergraduate BBA from Tier 2 University with 2.9 GPA (screwed up my first year, but had 3.4 and 3 in the subsequent years).
-Have worked with two startups with one of them being the biggest in the food delivery sector and was in their first batch of employees straight out of college, thus worked in various divisions and set up the hygiene that followed. Managed teams and was responsible for service delivery.
-Currently working with a retail management consulting company in managing their client accounts and developing business.
-Still need to take my GMAT, good extra curricular activities in college. Raised money for NGOs and worked with a local NGO to support, grow and preserve our city's green cover (all in college)
-Already applied for PR for Canada, hence want to settle there for sure.
-Looking to apply for Rotman, Schulich, Ivey, Queens and Degroote (co-op)

Any help regarding what more can I do to enhance my profile for these colleges, what should be my target score would be much appreciated.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 928
Reviews Badge
Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 10:19
Hi Sk06011994! That is a tough call. First, I think your profile and work experience is very unique, and brings a huge amount of diversity to any M7 class (not just because of the experience in Africa, but also because of your family business experience). Your academic stats (GPA/GMAT) are really strong too. Plus you majored in quant-demanding fields and worked in wealth management, so I don't think your academic abilities will be questioned. The HBX program is highly regarded and helps to show you are serious about prepping for business school, so doing it can't hurt. But to answer your question, had you come to me requesting a profile review earlier, I don't think I would have suggested HBX for you, as I just don't see a huge need to boost your academic profile.

Only potential downside of not doing HBX, if you are planning to apply to Harvard, is could it look like you lack follow-through or commitment if you withdraw now? I'm not sure, but might have a slight worry about that, only for Harvard of course.

I very much support visiting schools, ideally before you apply, but then again it's a much bigger investment for you coming from Africa, so I don't think schools will really expect you to visit, if that makes sense. I would first investigate how much of this research/networking you can do from afar, like are any of your target schools doing international info sessions? Or are there alums of your target schools in your country that you could meet with? Can you set up phone conversations with current students? You could still get a feel that way, and then plan to visit after acceptances to make your final decision.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Sk06011994 wrote:
Hi,
I'm in quite the dilemma and wondering if you guys can help me make a decision I won't regret. I am a black (African) female looking at M7 schools. I have a 3.4 GPA from a liberal arts college (top 20). I majored in Economics and minored in Mathematics. I recently took the GMAT and scored 730. My work experience has been in wealth management in top wealth management firm and now working with my family business back home in an African Country. I recently applied to HBX Core to strengthen my profile. Now 'm rethinking my decision to partake in the program. I would rather use the funds to take a trip to each of the schools I want to apply to to help me make a more informed decision as to where to finally go to. With this background I have given you, do you think I should forgo the HBX core program or do you think I will benefit a great deal from taking it?

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Sign up for a free phone consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 928
Reviews Badge
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 10:26
1
Hi stideshighdives - Interesting scores!

What I would do is submit your 710 as your official score. It is the highest overall so that should be your "primary" score. But then I would not cancel your 660, so that the higher Quant still shows on your score report. And I would also write an Optional Essay just to show self awareness that you know your submitted Quant score is not high, but that you did achieve a 48 on a prior test. You could also point out any Quant courses you've taken, or Quant responsibilities you have on the job, in that essay too. I think that will help mitigate most of their concern.

I think the final option worth considering is giving the test one more shot! I know you're probably burnt out, but perhaps with minimal studying you could combine that 48Q and 42V. Depends a bit on which schools you're targeting, and other aspects of your profile, but you clearly are capable of a higher overall score!

Best of luck,
Kate

stideshighdives wrote:
Hi MBA Mission,

I'm in a weird spot and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice. Just took my second GMAT.........

Scored 710 44Q/42V on my first administration. Was very disappointed that my Quant was so low, so I went back for a second go around and ended up doing 660 48Q/32V......I'm a native-speaker of English with an Ivy League background who has never scored lower than 40 on a practice test in Verbal. Needless to say I'm quite upset right now.

Can you offer me any advice? If I were applying, should I submit both scores to schools to let them know that I have aptitude in both Verbal and Quant? Would admissions officers even take that into consideration?

Thank you so much for any attention you're able to give to this question.

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Sign up for a free phone consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 928
Reviews Badge
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 10:40
Hi there leonidas56!

Thanks for reaching out to us. The main challenge I see is your GPA, though the upward trend is very helpful. You will likely want to write an optional essay explaining what happened, and more importantly what you learned. GMAT is very important for you. With that list of schools, I would normally target in the mid to high 600s (Rotman's average is 665 as a point of reference), but in your case, I think you need to exceed the average GMAT, so I would aim for the 690-700 range. That will help mitigate the GPA concern.

Otherwise I think your work with two startups, and in a growing sector, will be valued and seen very positively by the schools. It sounds like you should have lots of strong work accomplishments including managing small teams.

Only other possible enhancement is that if all of your extra curriculars were in college, that area could be seen as weak currently. Could you restart your involvement with the local NGO or start volunteering for a similar organization?

Best of luck!
Kate

leonidas56 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate if an expert can evaluate my profile:

-Indian with 3 years of Work Ex after 3 years of undergraduate BBA from Tier 2 University with 2.9 GPA (screwed up my first year, but had 3.4 and 3 in the subsequent years).
-Have worked with two startups with one of them being the biggest in the food delivery sector and was in their first batch of employees straight out of college, thus worked in various divisions and set up the hygiene that followed. Managed teams and was responsible for service delivery.
-Currently working with a retail management consulting company in managing their client accounts and developing business.
-Still need to take my GMAT, good extra curricular activities in college. Raised money for NGOs and worked with a local NGO to support, grow and preserve our city's green cover (all in college)
-Already applied for PR for Canada, hence want to settle there for sure.
-Looking to apply for Rotman, Schulich, Ivey, Queens and Degroote (co-op)

Any help regarding what more can I do to enhance my profile for these colleges, what should be my target score would be much appreciated.

_________________

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Sign up for a free phone consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 79 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Welcome to Ask mbaMission

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.