It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Went down from 610 to 540. Am I retarded?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Went down from 610 to 540. Am I retarded? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 15:06
I took GMAT Nov. 17, 2008 and scored 610 (Q39V35). Well, I was a bit disappointed, but because google directions were wrong I got lost on the way and the only available time for exam was 8am and I live 2hrs away,so I did not get enough sleep. Also, I could have practiced more, didn't do any of GMATPrep and center was loud. Anyway, I knew I could do better, well definitely not worse.
So, I spent two months fixing my preparation mistakes - improved RC substantially, basically it was error-proof. Did all OG verbal, SC twice. Did all OG math. Read MGMAT grammar three times. Well, I had (and read) probably all the books on the market. I was scoring in lower 600's in Kaplan, but we all know Kaplan. Scored 660 on free MGMAT test, GMATPrep first test 660, retake (which had only 2-3 questions in each section from the previous test) 710, second GMATPrep 690. Anyway, I wasn't shooting for 750+, 650 would have been fine.
My appointment was today at 10:15, I got very good night sleep. I walked into test center with my head up. And I was confident I will be just fine. Wrote my essays, went for a break, came back, lady tried to log me in and then she goes “OMG, your test got erased”. Imagine my reaction. She called somewhere, talked for a while, said that her computer kept throwing "error" but she didn't write down what else the message said. After she hang up she told me that everything is okay. She logged me in and there was 1 second left on my tutorial. Math was okay, tough, but I expected that. Same with verbal. I felt I did okay. Although all the way through the exam I had a little thing in on my mind - “will this be erased by any chance, have my essays really been saved”. I almost fainted when I saw 540. 540! It’s a beginners score. After two months of serious prep. And not the beginners prep, but after scoring 610 two months ago and scoring 660-710 on GMATPrep!!! 540 is just a little too extreme. To go down from 69% to 48%. It can not be right. Or is my brain shrinking the more I study? I remember getting 560 without ANY prep two years ago when I had my first thoughts about getting MBA.
Anyway, I think about having a long talk with GMAC tomorrow about either letting me retake for free or refunding my money, because test was not administer right. Left alone this score, but score is score which is ridiculous, but nobody cares. Any comments? Do you think I’ll have any success with that?

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Cornell
Re: Went down from 610 to 540. Am I retarded? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 20:45
Well GMAT is definitely harder now then it was two years ago. Since it was much easier when I took had my first try back in 2007. I believe GMAT is something that you can do well as long as you put effort to it. Just take a short break and come back.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2009, 01:16
He took the test 2 months ago (not years). In any case the difference in difficulty level does not change from year-to-year (that's why scores are valid for up to 5 years). In any case I think the OP shuld definitely contact GMAC. Your incompetent proctor could have played a role in your low score. I recommend taking a break for a few weeks and then starting the process all over again. Your confidence right now is too low to try to study again. Skimming through this valuable website illustrates that a big improvement is possible. Build your confidence and attack the GMAT (which I'm confident you'll retake for free).

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2009, 04:35
chicagocubsrule wrote:
He took the test 2 months ago (not years). In any case the difference in difficulty level does not change from year-to-year (that's why scores are valid for up to 5 years). In any case I think the OP shuld definitely contact GMAC. Your incompetent proctor could have played a role in your low score. I recommend taking a break for a few weeks and then starting the process all over again. Your confidence right now is too low to try to study again. Skimming through this valuable website illustrates that a big improvement is possible. Build your confidence and attack the GMAT (which I'm confident you'll retake for free).

the thing is, I doubt I will be able to do this again because my confidence is completely shattered and I do not know what to expect next time. I was scoring 150 pts higher on GMATPrep, which is very close, I studied OG 11 inside out. I am not new to this test, I know the difference between a 700 and a 500 question. And I was getting tough questions in both sections. SC was hard, but I studied. I studied hard. Went throught OG SC twice. Worked on tough ones. It is not the case of underprepping. I worked really hard. I scored 610 just too months ago and went down by 70 points. And to go from 610 to 540 is not the same as to go from 770 to 700. 540 is a very, very low score. I felt strong. I pace myself well, I practiced whole tests with the essays. I am devastated.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 502 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2009, 11:24
linau, sorry to hear about your test experience. I guess, there is always a small chance of an extreme result irrespective of your "true" score (this is what they call "black swan event"). For next time, focus on scoring consistently, on the CATs. If I had time, I would take all Kaplan CATs, all MGMAT CATs and GMATPrep(each 3 times).

Kudos [?]: 502 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2009, 14:09
answer: no..ur not retarded.
I think the fact that your test was almost erased... might play a part on the fluke score.
Yea, I'm confident if you file your complain right, they'll give you a free test.

If you want to feel confident, do the gmatprep again (it's the closest with the GMAT).. Princeton Review practice is easier than the real thing.
MGMAT math is harder, while the verbal one is about right.
Seriously do not worry about the score of the test practices. THe Gmatprep practice score is the only one that represent your likely score well (even though this was not the case on your last test). But I'm sure if you regularly score better than 610 on the prep (assuming you don't see too many similar questions)...then you should be convinced that you are better than that...and it's worth to give another try.

Best of luck!

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Went down from 610 to 540. Am I retarded?   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2009, 14:09

Went down from 610 to 540. Am I retarded?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap