GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What are my chances at these msf programs for next year?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
What are my chances at these msf programs for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2014, 17:58
I am a junior finance major at Penn State with a 3.7 GPA looking to get my Masters in Finance after graduation. What are my chances at universities such as USC, Villanova, Vanderbilt, and Claremont McKenna? I have had a couple of leadership positions and had a boutique Ibanking internship last summer. I will study for the GMATs this summer and would hope to get around a 700. Any insight is much appreciated.
Director
Director
G
Re: What are my chances at these msf programs for next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2014, 19:07
cdm5253 wrote:
I am a junior finance major at Penn State with a 3.7 GPA looking to get my Masters in Finance after graduation. What are my chances at universities such as USC, Villanova, Vanderbilt, and Claremont McKenna? I have had a couple of leadership positions and had a boutique Ibanking internship last summer. I will study for the GMATs this summer and would hope to get around a 700. Any insight is much appreciated.

100% at all schools.

PSU is a good and known school
Solid internships
Great GPA and Finance major
Above average GMAT

You'll be fine at every school.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 09:51
I am applying to the USC Marshall Masters in Finance Program for the program beginning in May of 2015. I am going to be a senior in the fall and have had an internship all summer plus am taking a summer class so I do not really have time to study for the GMATs. USC said that their GMATs are optional, so with a 3.75 GPA do you think that my credentials will be good enough to get in without cramming in the GMATs? Also, I am a Finance Major at PSU with some relevant finance experience through 2 internships. Thank you for your help.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2014, 18:22
psu10 wrote:
I am applying to the USC Marshall Masters in Finance Program for the program beginning in May of 2015. I am going to be a senior in the fall and have had an internship all summer plus am taking a summer class so I do not really have time to study for the GMATs. USC said that their GMATs are optional, so with a 3.75 GPA do you think that my credentials will be good enough to get in without cramming in the GMATs? Also, I am a Finance Major at PSU with some relevant finance experience through 2 internships. Thank you for your help.

I think their GMAT is "optional" but in reality it is strongly preferred. The admitted students in this years class are pretty impressive. I think PSU is good and your GPA is very good. Internships are positive. I'd still take the GMAT as you will want to have a back up plan in case they don't accept you.
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 23:24
I am junior in college. I go to university of Mississippi. I am a business major. My gpa is 3.7. I just recently got done with my gmat. I scored 730 on it. I am an international student. I have worked on campus but I don't have any such work experiences. I have been part of some of the clubs on campus but that's it. What do you think my chances are for top business schools? I want to get a masters in finance.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 03:58
Rahul521719 wrote:
I am junior in college. I go to university of Mississippi. I am a business major. My gpa is 3.7. I just recently got done with my gmat. I scored 730 on it. I am an international student. I have worked on campus but I don't have any such work experiences. I have been part of some of the clubs on campus but that's it. What do you think my chances are for top business schools? I want to get a masters in finance.

Overall, I think you have a strong profile. GMAT and GPA are all in very good ranges. Lack of work experience might hurt you some at say Vanderbilt, but shouldn’t matter for other programs. I’d apply to the usual suspects, WUSTL, Vanderbilt, USC, UTAustin. Georgetown as well. You can pick any number of decent safety schools in whatever preferred location you want as well.

I’d try and find some type of bank or wealth management office to intern in. If this isn’t possible, get active on campus and see if you can get close with a professor or two. Maybe offer to help them with research or a class.
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 13:34
I am a junior at the University of Miami with a 3.95 GPA. I am a double major in Finance and Economics with a minor in accounting. 4.0 major/minor GPA. Involved in my fraternity and a 1st year health care analyst at the student managed investment fund.

I spent my freshman year at Fordham with a 3.78 GPA (1 B in a math class that was not relevant to my degree, annoying). I will speak about this in my essay, as it drops my combined GPA a bit.

My work:
Morgan Stanley - wealth management analyst
Feb 2019- Aug 2019 (possible to continue into next fall)

Raymond James - wealth management analyst
Aug 2018-Nov 2018

HIG Capital LLC - Fund Accountant Intern
June 2018- Aug 2018

MarketingNOW LLC - Market Research Intern
June 2017 - May 2018

I plan to study for the GMAT from May to August, while working full time at Morgan Stanley. Given I reach, say, a 680 at least, what would be some realistic msf options for me. Any advice on GMAT Prep would be greatly appreciated. I do not have that much guidance here.

Thank you for any help!

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 20:14
mtm131 wrote:
I am a junior at the University of Miami with a 3.95 GPA. I am a double major in Finance and Economics with a minor in accounting. 4.0 major/minor GPA. Involved in my fraternity and a 1st year health care analyst at the student managed investment fund.

I spent my freshman year at Fordham with a 3.78 GPA (1 B in a math class that was not relevant to my degree, annoying). I will speak about this in my essay, as it drops my combined GPA a bit.

My work:
Morgan Stanley - wealth management analyst
Feb 2019- Aug 2019 (possible to continue into next fall)

Raymond James - wealth management analyst
Aug 2018-Nov 2018

HIG Capital LLC - Fund Accountant Intern
June 2018- Aug 2018

MarketingNOW LLC - Market Research Intern
June 2017 - May 2018

I plan to study for the GMAT from May to August, while working full time at Morgan Stanley. Given I reach, say, a 680 at least, what would be some realistic msf options for me. Any advice on GMAT Prep would be greatly appreciated. I do not have that much guidance here.

Thank you for any help!

I’d work real hard to get that GMAT as high as you can. Assuming you have the math, I could see you being competitive for MIT with a 700 plus score.

680 - high probability at Vanderbilt, USC, UTA, WUSTL. Great GPA, love the internships. Miami is a good and well known school. You’re in a good position.
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 02:30
You have a pretty impressive profile, here are few strengths:

Penn state is well-renowned name worldwide and it definitely is an add on to your application.
Apart from this your leadership experiences and your finance internship, they can be the bedrock for a good application.
As for your target schools, USC and Vanderbilt have a good reputation but also are quite competitive so make sure that you spend enough time perfecting your Essay and application.
Apart from your targeted schools, you can also try your luck in other Top B-Schools that offer good Masters in Finance programs:
Sloan School of Management, MIT
Brandeis International Business School, Brandeis University
Bendheim Center for Finance, Princeton University
University of Illinois
Carroll School of Management, Boston College
Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, College Park
With a GMAT score of 700 you can easily aim for top15 M.fin Universities including you including you targeted one.
Hope this Helps!
Also, To get a better idea of your profile you can check out this profile evaluation link below to know about your chances at your target schools: http://info.mim-essay.com/forums-pe

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here: http://info.mim-essay.com/book-a-call-today
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What are my chances at these msf programs for next year?   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 02:30

What are my chances at these msf programs for next year?

new topic post reply Update application status