GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 09:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Why Do YOU Need an MBA?

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Download Why MBA and learn how to determine your MBA goals and weave them into a compelling essay!

What are my chances of getting into a top MBA school?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
What are my chances of getting into a top MBA school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 20:59
Can I get into Stanford or HBS with a 3.1 GPA from Berkeley and jumpy job history? Worked for 4.5 years, I change jobs every year, am currently a Senior PM at a mid-sized tech startup, started 2 early-stage startups (one with revenue), and currently am working on my own startup after work. I feel right I have a weak profile, but I've read here that there's been stories of people who've gotten in with low GPA.

Here's my full profile:

Background/Work experience:

[*]1 year at large tech company, Xero, as a UX Market Research Manager. Worked on managing and interviewing users for design and user research projects globally to help improve UI/UX for products.

[*]1.5 year self-employed as a marketing consultant for early stage technology and media startups. I created content, built marketing campaigns, and helped with partnerships, design and branding.

[*]6 month consultant for a large well-known tech company as a Brand Project Manager, helping to drive, build, execute and launch their rebrand campaign.

[*]6 month/currently a consultant as a Senior Manager, Program Management at Mixpanel, another tech company, managing, building strategy and executing large scale global-wide marketing campaigns

Extra curriculars/Out of university:

[*]Founder of two start-ups, very early stages (media & event planning web app)

[*]Currently working on one (event planning) startup that has revenue

[*]The media startup failed, but we were in talks with Apple to sell our content, but didn't happen. We had 1 million plus views a month after the launch of a series and had sponsors with notable companies in Silicon Valley.

[*]Board of non-profit for mentoring students and recent graduates on entrepreneurship and applicable professional skills

[*]Mentor program to students to help them reach a personal professional goal or gain a new skillset, primarily in entrepreneurship, PM and marketing

At University

[*]Undergrad GPA: 3.1

[*]Co-Founder of media club

[*]Rush chair of sorority

[*]Program lead for volunteer club

[*]Animal shelter volunteer

[*]American Red Cross President at high school + 1 year college

[*]Worked part time as server to pay off loans

[*]Undergrad school/major: Double major mass communications + sociology from UC Berkeley

Other education: Certificate from General Assembly for UX Design

GMAT: 710

Race/nationality: Asian

Sex: F, Age 26

Goal of MBA: Opportunity to hold leadership positions, but I want to build my current startup, network and gain applicable skills to successfully scale and succeed at my current tech startup.

Always loved event organizing, marketing and media, and my current startup for the event planner web app is a reflection of my skills and interests, and hope to see how far I can go with it.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: What are my chances of getting into a top MBA school?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 08:26
Hi there! Well the odds are stacked against you, and the low GPA and jumpy job history are going to be challenges, but since the application process is holistic, neither of those things will be an automatic ding. I think you've got a shot if you can do a few things:

1) Be upfront and transparent about the weaknesses in your app - write an optional essay, and perhaps have your recommenders address your job history too
2) Make an effort to improve the academic area of your application (this is partly still in your control!) - retake the GMAT and get a higher score and pursue some supplemental coursework (see https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2018/06 ... l-courses/)
3) Have an articulate and succinct explanation for each of your job moves, and explain how those moves have prepared you for your post-MBA goals
4) Prepare standout "wow factor" essays that really intrigue the admissions committee about who you are and what you can bring

Stanford and HBS are both extremely competitive, so even if you do those things, the challenges may still be too much. So do make sure you have some backup options too. You do have a really interesting profile with startup experience and strong activities outside work, which should both work in your favor.

Good luck!
Kate

floHBIC wrote:
Can I get into Stanford or HBS with a 3.1 GPA from Berkeley and jumpy job history? Worked for 4.5 years, I change jobs every year, am currently a Senior PM at a mid-sized tech startup, started 2 early-stage startups (one with revenue), and currently am working on my own startup after work. I feel right I have a weak profile, but I've read here that there's been stories of people who've gotten in with low GPA.

Here's my full profile:

Background/Work experience:

[*]1 year at large tech company, Xero, as a UX Market Research Manager. Worked on managing and interviewing users for design and user research projects globally to help improve UI/UX for products.

[*]1.5 year self-employed as a marketing consultant for early stage technology and media startups. I created content, built marketing campaigns, and helped with partnerships, design and branding.

[*]6 month consultant for a large well-known tech company as a Brand Project Manager, helping to drive, build, execute and launch their rebrand campaign.

[*]6 month/currently a consultant as a Senior Manager, Program Management at Mixpanel, another tech company, managing, building strategy and executing large scale global-wide marketing campaigns

Extra curriculars/Out of university:

[*]Founder of two start-ups, very early stages (media & event planning web app)

[*]Currently working on one (event planning) startup that has revenue

[*]The media startup failed, but we were in talks with Apple to sell our content, but didn't happen. We had 1 million plus views a month after the launch of a series and had sponsors with notable companies in Silicon Valley.

[*]Board of non-profit for mentoring students and recent graduates on entrepreneurship and applicable professional skills

[*]Mentor program to students to help them reach a personal professional goal or gain a new skillset, primarily in entrepreneurship, PM and marketing

At University

[*]Undergrad GPA: 3.1

[*]Co-Founder of media club

[*]Rush chair of sorority

[*]Program lead for volunteer club

[*]Animal shelter volunteer

[*]American Red Cross President at high school + 1 year college

[*]Worked part time as server to pay off loans

[*]Undergrad school/major: Double major mass communications + sociology from UC Berkeley

Other education: Certificate from General Assembly for UX Design

GMAT: 710

Race/nationality: Asian

Sex: F, Age 26

Goal of MBA: Opportunity to hold leadership positions, but I want to build my current startup, network and gain applicable skills to successfully scale and succeed at my current tech startup.

Always loved event organizing, marketing and media, and my current startup for the event planner web app is a reflection of my skills and interests, and hope to see how far I can go with it.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

What are my chances of getting into a top MBA school?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap