GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is Ideal time for 3 sections in Verbal.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
CAT Tests
What is Ideal time for 3 sections in Verbal. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 20:56
Hi Experts/Admins,

I am really struggling with Timing in Verbal Section.

When it comes to SC, I takes 2min for Hard Q's, CR 3-3.34 min for hard Q's and RC is 5min for reading and 2min for questioning.

If it goes this way...I need almost 105min to answer overall for Verbal .105-75=30min extra. Which is very bad according to me.

If I go fast...I might miss important details in RC and it costs me choosing wrong options. I went through many techniques everywhere given such as..

1)swimming just for basic idea ---> This leads to 50% wrong ans...as GMACers have already kept that ans as one of the option.
2) Reading the whole paragraph ---> 75-85% accuracy....but it again eats time.
3)Reading whole but grasping imp details----> This leads to getting bogged up with details.....in this Inference Q's ..really a bad hit.

How should I manage time with accuracy?... I really appreciate suggestions on it.

TD

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: What is Ideal time for 3 sections in Verbal. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 22:31
Hi Tridhipal,

Based on what you describe about the amount of time that you're spending on certain Verbal questions, "your way" of approaching the Verbal section is inefficient overall. To speed up - AND score at a higher level - you're going to have to change the way you 'see' (and respond to) the Verbal section. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC or CR prompt?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 01:34
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tridhipal,

Based on what you describe about the amount of time that you're spending on certain Verbal questions, "your way" of approaching the Verbal section is inefficient overall. To speed up - AND score at a higher level - you're going to have to change the way you 'see' (and respond to) the Verbal section. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC or CR prompt?

Goals:
5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich...Please find my answers below in blue.
Studies:
1) How long have you studied? Well its a long story I started my first GMAT prep in 2016 went to coaching institute...but nothing fetched except knowing abt GMAT and Quant stuff. Verbal RC zero knowledge they gave. Started working on GMAT seriously from October 2017

2) What study materials have you used so far? I read complete MGMAT SC book, OG 2016 Unfinished, OG VR 2018 unfinished,
Overall GMAT material: MGMAT pdf's and OG 2016, OG VR 2018

3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? I gave 2 mocks which are in the range 500-520 with Q42-45 and V 15-17

SC- I first scan the ans options and then check if its SV pair/Parallelism/ Modifier etc. Hard Q's I end up with 2 options...out of which one is right other is wrong....the chosen option always goes wrong .

CR- Read the Q stem and then the Argument and scan the options.

RC- I read the passage, but as I said...tried many techniques...no use...I find no way

I can read the material at office regarding Projects and stuff...But I don't understand why my reading skills are not working here. At times got devastated ..if I can ever read a line in GMAT RC ..so frustrated why am I unable to interpret or do I lack the required skills or brain fault.

Goals:
5) What is your goal score? I need a 730-750 score
6) When are you planning to take the GMAT? would like to give asap...at least by May5th2018 its must that I have to attempt.
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School? either in June or August
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to? USA: Top 50 tier schools and Singapore NUS

TD

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 12:58
Hi Tridhipal,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 500 +/- a few points). Raising a 500 to a 730+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections (and it could take longer if you've developed any 'bad habits' that take extra time and effort to fix). This is meant to say that you will probably need more time than you have currently planned for.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and it's likely that this has happened to you too. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. To hit your Score Goal, you will likely end up needing to invest in some new, non-book resources.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 21:04
Tridhipal wrote:
If I go fast...I might miss important details in RC and it costs me choosing wrong options. I went through many techniques everywhere given such as..
Unfortunately, there is no quick solution to this. Improving your speed in RC is going to take (probably a lot of) practice. The important thing is to stick with it.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Re: What is Ideal time for 3 sections in Verbal.   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2018, 21:04

What is Ideal time for 3 sections in Verbal.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap