GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 07:19

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

What is the Ideal time to analyze Practice Questions??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.23
CAT Tests
What is the Ideal time to analyze Practice Questions??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 21:23
Hey Experts,
I have been maintaining the error log for practice but it takes a lot of time to analyze each question approx. 45 minutes to each CR & SC question. RC takes probably less time.
Is it normal because if I go at this pace It will take forever to even complete the OG?

Thanks in advance
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the Ideal time to analyze Practice Questions??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 21:33
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hey Experts,
I have been maintaining the error log for practice but it takes a lot of time to analyze each question approx. 45 minutes to each CR & SC question. RC takes probably less time.
Is it normal because if I go at this pace It will take forever to even complete the OG?

Thanks in advance

It depends..... if you solve a question about geometry and you never studied geometry, then probably would take 45 mins. or in your case about Parallel structure. But then the question is why you solving parallel structure questions if you have not covered this topic?

What do you do that takes this much time? Do you see decreasing over time?
Are these mistakes you analyze or every question?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 01:55
bb wrote:
sahilsnpt wrote:
Hey Experts,

Thanks in advance

It depends..... if you solve a question about geometry and you never studied geometry, then probably would take 45 mins. or in your case about Parallel structure. But then the question is why you solving parallel structure questions if you have not covered this topic?

What do you do that takes this much time? Do you see decreasing over time?
Are these mistakes you analyze or every question?

Hey bb,
Thank you for your reply.
I take 45 minutes mostly in analyzing CR(my weakness) Questions because I deconstruct the passage in the most simple form and understand the pattern bit by bit and Analyzing questions solved in RON's videos. Quant doesn't take much time(10 minutes max). RC takes 10-15 minutes if I try to find the solution myself without reading the explanation without a timer.
Thank You
Attachments

File comment: SC Analysis of Ron's Videos
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.20.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.20.24 PM.png [ 217.93 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

File comment: CR OG ERROR LOG
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.22.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.22.35 PM.png [ 176.08 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 10:03
Hi Sahilsnp,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before addressing your question regarding your error log, I’d like to learn more about your study routine and your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many practice GMATs have you taken? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you have been studying. For many hours a day and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) How many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) What is your GMAT score goal?

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Once I learn more about you, I can provide some more detailed advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Orion Director of Academics
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 15:41
Hi @Sahilsnp -

Looking at your error log, it looks like you are doing a thorough job at dissecting what's going on - perhaps even a bit too thorough of a job! If the amount of time it's taking you to go through and add a question is decreasing, then it might be worth it to stick with it.

However, consider a couple things:

1. Why the individual answer choice was wrong is going to be less useful for you in the long run than the notes you're making about 1) why the question was tricky to you and 2) what went wrong.
2. Some information about your reasoning is and what *specific* mistake you made might be as helpful as explaining each answer choice. (i.e. I answered the wrong question, I eliminated this answer choice too quickly, etc.)

The biggest question is, however: is it helping? If it's helping, then what part is helping? If it isn't helping, then it's time to reconsider what you're doing!

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 22:45
LauraOrion wrote:
Hi @Sahilsnp -

Looking at your error log, it looks like you are doing a thorough job at dissecting what's going on - perhaps even a bit too thorough of a job! If the amount of time it's taking you to go through and add a question is decreasing, then it might be worth it to stick with it.

However, consider a couple things:

1. Why the individual answer choice was wrong is going to be less useful for you in the long run than the notes you're making about 1) why the question was tricky to you and 2) what went wrong.
2. Some information about your reasoning is and what *specific* mistake you made might be as helpful as explaining each answer choice. (i.e. I answered the wrong question, I eliminated this answer choice too quickly, etc.)

The biggest question is, however: is it helping? If it's helping, then what part is helping? If it isn't helping, then it's time to reconsider what you're doing!

Thank You for your reply, Laura. I will consider your given points for my error log.
And, Of course, this method is helping me. The thing I am worried about the most is preparation time. I am worried whether I am too slow in my preparation because of this kind of analysis. I review them once in a week. As CR is my biggest weakness, it takes considerably more time because I try to think about the question like a case study so that I can remember its pattern. But I end up spending more time with it.

Thank You :-)
examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 06:55
Hey sahilsnpt
I don't think there really is such a thing as an "ideal time" to analyse, and wouldn't worry about analysing "too long". Analysing your mistakes is really important - perhaps the most important thing you will do during your studies!

your error log really does seem very meticulous and impressive, but (like Laura said), I think you need to focus more on general conclusions, in addition to the specific mistake you made.

After each mistake, ask yourself: why did I get this wrong? Was the problem…
- Professional? Did I just not know the material well enough? If so, this means: go back and study it! Review the fundamentals.
- Technical? did I just mess up with something seemingly small or silly? If so, let’s figure out if there’s a tip or technique I need to adopt. (this could be writing down the answer choices and crossing them out, writing down a formula at the beginning of the section, and so on…)
- Strategic - did I choose the wrong answer strategy and waste time? If so, let’s figure out what about the question made a different strategy the right one, and how I will identify this next time.

Claim your offer here.

Happy holidays!

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 11:00
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Hey sahilsnpt
I don't think there really is such a thing as an "ideal time" to analyse, and wouldn't worry about analysing "too long". Analysing your mistakes is really important - perhaps the most important thing you will do during your studies!

your error log really does seem very meticulous and impressive, but (like Laura said), I think you need to focus more on general conclusions, in addition to the specific mistake you made.

After each mistake, ask yourself: why did I get this wrong? Was the problem…
- Professional? Did I just not know the material well enough? If so, this means: go back and study it! Review the fundamentals.
- Technical? did I just mess up with something seemingly small or silly? If so, let’s figure out if there’s a tip or technique I need to adopt. (this could be writing down the answer choices and crossing them out, writing down a formula at the beginning of the section, and so on…)
- Strategic - did I choose the wrong answer strategy and waste time? If so, let’s figure out what about the question made a different strategy the right one, and how I will identify this next time.

Thank you DavidTutorexamPAL for your recommendations. I will surely apply those in my preparation.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the Ideal time to analyze Practice Questions?? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 11:00

What is the Ideal time to analyze Practice Questions??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap