Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618955 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31922 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Send PM
Re: What is the probability that two 1 by 1 squares selected randomly from [#permalink]
unraveled wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the probability that two 1 by 1 squares selected randomly from a chess board will have only one common corner?

A. 7/288
B. 2/63
C. 7/144
D. 7/126
E. 7/72

Got another way to solve the question. Hope it makes sense.
We need to choose two squares out of 64 so that they share only one corner.

On visualization, we see that this can happen if we move diagonally - either top left to bottom right or top right to bottom left or vice-a-versa i.e. we have a total of 4 ways to move for selection of two squares. However, the diagonal selection from top left to bottom right is same as selection from bottom right to top left. So, we either simply consider 2 ways of movement OR 4 ways of movement dividing by 2 for repetition.

Also. we have a total of 9*9 = 81 corner, out of which only some satisfy the condition. We can find the required number of squares in two ways:
1. Count individually the corners that are inside the chess board - ones which are shared by 4 squares i.e. 7*7 = 49
2. Subtract the outside corners that have only either 2 squares sharing one or the 4 corners of the big chess board square. 9*9 - 4*1 - 7*4 = 49

Now ways of selecting 2 squares in total = \(64_{C_2}\)
Required ways to select the 2 squares = \(49_{C_1}\) but this has to be multiplied by 2 to cover both the direction as mentioned above.
(1 represents a corner and thus selecting one would give us two squares)

P = \(\frac{49_{C_1}}{64_{C_2}} * 2 = \frac{7}{144}\)

Answer C.

Hello, could you please explain this part:
Also. we have a total of 9*9 = 81 corner, out of which only some satisfy the condition. We can find the required number of squares in two ways:
1. Count individually the corners that are inside the chess board - ones which are shared by 4 squares i.e. 7*7 = 49
2. Subtract the outside corners that have only either 2 squares sharing one or the 4 corners of the big chess board square. 9*9 - 4*1 - 7*4 = 49

why do we have a total of 9x9 corner ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What is the probability that two 1 by 1 squares selected randomly from [#permalink]
Kudos
sthahvi wrote:
unraveled wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the probability that two 1 by 1 squares selected randomly from a chess board will have only one common corner?

A. 7/288
B. 2/63
C. 7/144
D. 7/126
E. 7/72

Got another way to solve the question. Hope it makes sense.
We need to choose two squares out of 64 so that they share only one corner.

On visualization, we see that this can happen if we move diagonally - either top left to bottom right or top right to bottom left or vice-a-versa i.e. we have a total of 4 ways to move for selection of two squares. However, the diagonal selection from top left to bottom right is same as selection from bottom right to top left. So, we either simply consider 2 ways of movement OR 4 ways of movement dividing by 2 for repetition.

Now ways of selecting 2 squares in total = \(64_{C_2}\)
Required ways to select the 2 squares = \(49_{C_1}\) but this has to be multiplied by 2 to cover both the direction as mentioned above.
(1 represents a corner and thus selecting one would give us two squares)

P = \(\frac{49_{C_1}}{64_{C_2}} * 2 = \frac{7}{144}\)

Answer C.

Hello, could you please explain this part:

why do we have a total of 9x9 corner ?

sthahvi
First draw a chessboard to understand.
Assuming that you know what i did, I'll explain only 9*9 corner part.

Like an 8-lane highway has 9 lines - 2 are extreme ones and 7 are inside - OR like an athlete track has 8 lanes with 9 lines, a chess board has 8-rows and 8-columns that criss-cross each other leaving 64 squares.
You can either count the corners manually and find that there are 9 horizontal(row) lines and 9 vertical(column) lines.

OR

Slightly longer version.
We have 64 squares with each having 4 corners i.e. 64*4 corners in total. But there are some squares that share a corners, thus corners are counted twice or thrice. Ways in which squares share corners are:
1. Corners shared by 0 squares - 1st and the 64th(unless you count them in a way that the two share a corner/s :) ) e.g. the diagonally opposite squares far separated by each other. Here no corner is counted twice or thrice.
2. Corners shared by 2 squares - ones that lie on the outside line(4 edges of the big chess-board square). There is a double counting here.
3. Corners shared by 4 squares - an extension of point 2(by this time you will know which ones). Here again there is double counting which happens as in where a corner is shared by four squares, eventually counting a corner four times.

So, we have to subtract the double counting and quadruple counting by one time and three times respectively.
Total corners = 64*4 - 1*7*4 - 3*7*7 = 81

Also, in my original post '1'(highlighted) refers to number of corners and it has got no significance in the term '4*1'. It should have been just '4'.

Hope my original post and this one make sense in totality now.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts