It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the product of 6 consecutive integers? 1. The

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
What is the product of 6 consecutive integers? 1. The [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 20:25
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

What is the product of 6 consecutive integers?

1. The greatest integer is 4
2. The sequence has both positive and negative integers
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 72
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2008, 20:51
Answer is D.

1. The greatest integer is 4
so pick 5 consecutive numbers less then 4, the numbers should be 4,3,2,1,0,-1...product of these numbers is zero.

2. The sequence has both positive and negative integers
so the combination can be -3, -2, -1, 0 ,1,2 or -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3...either way, the product is zero

S.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 08:01
Does consecutive even integers or consecutive odd integers fall under the same category as consecutive integer?SO for the first choice, possible answer could be (2,4) or (0,2,4) or (1,2,3,4)?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1789
Location: New York
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 11:25
redbeanaddict wrote:
Does consecutive even integers or consecutive odd integers fall under the same category as consecutive integer?SO for the first choice, possible answer could be (2,4) or (0,2,4) or (1,2,3,4)?


No. they are not fall under consecutive integers.

consecutive integers.. difference between consecutive numbers=1
consecutive even integers.. difference between consecutive numbers=2
consecutive odd integers.. difference between consecutive numbers=2
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 19:15
Is (4,1,-2) consecutive integer also?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 348
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 19:43
redbeanaddict wrote:
Is (4,1,-2) consecutive integer also?


I would call these integers to be in Arithmetic Progression rather than consecutive integers.
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 22:48
So what comprises consecutive integers?just odd and even consecutive?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1789
Location: New York
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 22:53
redbeanaddict wrote:
So what comprises consecutive integers?just odd and even consecutive?




Consecutive integers are integers that follow each other in order. They have a difference of 1 between every two numbers.

If n is an integer, then n, n+1, and n+2 will be consecutive integers.

Examples:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

1004, 1005, 1006


http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consecutive_integer
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 23:37
x2suresh wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:
So what comprises consecutive integers?just odd and even consecutive?




Consecutive integers are integers that follow each other in order. They have a difference of 1 between every two numbers.

If n is an integer, then n, n+1, and n+2 will be consecutive integers.

Examples:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

1004, 1005, 1006


http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consecutive_integer


But it's not just N+1 right? There's also, N+2, N+4 etc.etc?
Like consecutive even integers?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 799
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2008, 23:50
n, n+1, n+2, n+3, n+4 are 5 consecutive integers starting with 1 it would be 1,2,3,4,5
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 348
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2008, 08:31
redbeanaddict wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
redbeanaddict wrote:
So what comprises consecutive integers?just odd and even consecutive?




Consecutive integers are integers that follow each other in order. They have a difference of 1 between every two numbers.

If n is an integer, then n, n+1, and n+2 will be consecutive integers.

Examples:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

1004, 1005, 1006


http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consecutive_integer


But it's not just N+1 right? There's also, N+2, N+4 etc.etc?
Like consecutive even integers?


Three kinds:
Consecutive integers-> n, n+1, n+2.... (Eg. 2,3,4,...)
Consecutive even integers-> n, n+2, n+4,....(when n is even) (Eg. 4, 6, 8... )
Consecutive odd integers-> n, n+2, n+4,....(when n is odd) (Eg. 3, 5, 7... )
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 02:15
So in this case, if it simply states consecutive integers, do i also consider consecutive even and consecutive odd integers?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Posts: 1026
Re: Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 02:45
redbeanaddict wrote:
So in this case, if it simply states consecutive integers, do i also consider consecutive even and consecutive odd integers?


No. Consecutive integers means the difference between one integer and next one is 1. If the question says "consecutive integers" you NEED NOT consider consecutive even or consecutive odd.

consecutive even or consecutive odd are to be considered only if the problem mentions it in some form or other. The problem above says only "consecutive integers".
_________________

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Re: Help   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2008, 02:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the product of 6 consecutive integers? 1. The

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: chetan2u



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.