Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2016
Posts: 9
What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jul 2016, 05:39
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:58) correct 29% (00:52) wrong based on 191 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


What is the value of x?

(1) |x|= -x

(2) |x|^2 = x^2

Originally posted by ha15 on 05 Jul 2016, 05:34.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Jul 2016, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 05:42
3
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 97
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2016, 22:59
2
|x| = x tells us x>=0
and |x| = - x tells us x<=0

B is true for any value of X
Combine A and B not sufficient
E is the answer
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Feb 2015
Posts: 875
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 10:10
This is a value question. Both the statements are NS. Hence correct answer is (E)
_________________
"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.16
WE: Other (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 01:03
Bunuel wrote:
What is the value of x?

(1) |x|= -x. This implies that x is not a positive number. Any non-positive number satisfies this equation: 0, -1, -2, -3.12, ... Not sufficient.

(2) |x|^2 = x^2. This is true for any x. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) x can be any non-positive number. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


0 is neither positive nor negative, so won't it satisfy the first condition?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 01:09
CluelessLearner wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the value of x?

(1) |x|= -x. This implies that x is not a positive number. Any non-positive number satisfies this equation: 0, -1, -2, -3.12, ... Not sufficient.

(2) |x|^2 = x^2. This is true for any x. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) x can be any non-positive number. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


0 is neither positive nor negative, so won't it satisfy the first condition?


The solution you quote says that for (1) x can be 0. Your question is not clear.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.16
WE: Other (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 04:36
Bunuel wrote:
CluelessLearner wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the value of x?

(1) |x|= -x. This implies that x is not a positive number. Any non-positive number satisfies this equation: 0, -1, -2, -3.12, ... Not sufficient.

(2) |x|^2 = x^2. This is true for any x. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) x can be any non-positive number. Not sufficient.

Answer: E.


0 is neither positive nor negative, so won't it satisfy the first condition?


The solution you quote says that for (1) x can be 0. Your question is not clear.


I'm sorry, I didn't see this line earlier - "Any non-positive number satisfies this equation: 0, -1, -2, -3.12, ... Not sufficient"
Really don't know how I missed it :dazed ! The solution is correct. Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
V
Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Posts: 426
Re: What is the value of x?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 05:47
ha15 wrote:
What is the value of x?

(1) |x|= -x

(2) |x|^2 = x^2


OA: E

(1) \(|x|= -x\)
It is true of all non positve integers
\(x\leq{0}\)
There is no unique value of \(x\).
So Statement \(1\) alone is insufficient.

(2) \(|x|^2 = x^2\)
It is true for any value of \(x\).
There is no unique value of \(x\).
So Statement \(2\) alone is insufficient.

Combining \((1)\) and \((2)\), we get
\(x\leq{0}\)
There is no unique value of \(x\). So combining \((1)\) and \((2)\) also is insufficient.
_________________
Good, good Let the kudos flow through you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the value of x?   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 05:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the value of x?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne