Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [3]
Given Kudos: 138
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: What more to do for 700+ ? What extra material? 9 days to go for GMAT! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi bakshiaashna,

Two days before the first post in this thread, you posted (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-help-315127.html) that you had taken 3 CATs and scored 570, 590 and 640. Now you've stated that you're scoring in the 650 - 670 range. How many CATs/mocks have you taken over the last few days?

I ask because the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. If you have taken multiple CATs over the last few days, then there's an increased chance that you might 'burn out' before Test Day. In addition, each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What more to do for 700+ ? What extra material? 9 days to go for GMAT! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bakshiaashna,

Two days before the first post in this thread, you posted (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-help-315127.html) that you had taken 3 CATs and scored 570, 590 and 640. Now you've stated that you're scoring in the 650 - 670 range. How many CATs/mocks have you taken over the last few days?

I ask because the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. If you have taken multiple CATs over the last few days, then there's an increased chance that you might 'burn out' before Test Day. In addition, each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions.

Rich

Hi yes, i took 1 mock since the last time, and scored a 660, thus stated the 650-670 range
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bakshiaashna,

A 40 point improvement in just 9 days is a pretty tall order. Are you able to push your GMAT, keep studying, and then take your GMAT at a later date?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi bakshiaashna,

A 40 point improvement in just 9 days is a pretty tall order. Are you able to push your GMAT, keep studying, and then take your GMAT at a later date?

Hi, i am taking the GMAT in a week, however, i have booked another slot too, which will be my final attempt, on 26th Feb 2020, ie. around 26 days from now

I am noticing that i am getting a lot of the 700+ questions wrong, especially Data Sufficiency. Could you please help me with a plan?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bakshiaashna,

Many GMATers become too fixated on the 'implied level' of the questions that they're working on - instead of what really matters: defining WHY they're getting questions wrong and becoming more efficient at approaching the overall Exam. It's also worth noting that just because a 3rd party describes a question as "700 level" does not necessarily make it so. If your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this recent 660 are similar to the ones that you scored on your 640 (Q45, V32) about 1 week ago, then your focus right now should NOT be on "700 level" questions - since that's not what's keeping you from scoring higher at this point.

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
bakshiaashna wrote:
I have just 9/10 days to take the gmat. I want to score a 700+ score.
I am currently in the 650-670 score range.

I have gone through the GMAT OG Guide, GMAT Official Quant and GMAT Official Verbal review. I have gone through the entire set of 9 Manhattan Guide books. I have also gone through the GMAT official advanced book. In addition to that, i have gone through the theory part of Manhattan advanced Quant ( Not solved the last worksheet tho), and have additonally gone through few more questions online on udemy/ youtube/ gmat club etc. i have also taken 2 GMAT offical mocks and 3 Veritas Prep mocks.

I am still stuck in the 650-670 score range, and have to get a 700 and above. What am i missing? What else do i need to practice? How can i get my score higher?

PLeaseee suggest as i have only 9 days to the exam. I can dedicate all my time over the next week or so!

Thanks

Relax. Review. Redo old problems from your practice tests: ones you've missed, and ones you got right (especially if you weren't completely sure or if you spent too much time.) Focus on getting 100% of the easier questions right, avoiding careless mistakes, and getting almost all of the questions right in your stronger areas. If you have a weakness at this point - let it slide. You can worry about fixing it before your second attempt if necessary. But the best thing you can do right now is lean into your strengths and go into the test well-rested, relaxed, mentally prepared, and with a strong foundation in the basics.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
bakshiaashna wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi bakshiaashna,

Hi, i am taking the GMAT in a week, however, i have booked another slot too, which will be my final attempt, on 26th Feb 2020, ie. around 26 days from now

I am noticing that i am getting a lot of the 700+ questions wrong, especially Data Sufficiency. Could you please help me with a plan?

Is your next GMAT in just a few days from now?
GMAT Club Bot