Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Information Technology (Tech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 530 Q32 V29
GRE 1: Q156 V149
GPA: 8.0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: What next? [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi kaizen1999, for the 620 attempt, can you share your ESR?

Hello, I gave all three attempts online. So unfortunately, I don't have any ESRs with me :(.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi kaizen1999,

To start, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you done any studying since you took your 3rd Official GMAT (on March 30th)?
2) During your prior studies, how many hours did you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far besides the course that you mentioned? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
4) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
5) What specific application deadlines are you now facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
620(Q45, V31)
...determined to get a score above 700 and I know I can do it. I need a direction...

Here's someone who had the same Verbal score V31. They ended up with a V40 in about 30 days. Although they took a bit of tutoring (6 hours), they did other stuff in their total journey you may want to consider such as working with a study buddy. Consider also checking out a scoring grid to see what combos can get you to 700+. Improving the Quant by a few points could take the edge off what you need on the Verbal side, for example.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi kaizen1999,

To start, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

s://gmatclub/forum/ask-admission-consultants-124/

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you done any studying since you took your 3rd Official GMAT (on March 30th)?
2) During your prior studies, how many hours did you typically study each week?
3) What study materials have you used so far besides the course that you mentioned? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
4) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
5) What specific application deadlines are you now facing?

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat

1. After my 3rd attempt I haven't studied at all. I was busy with my applications and finals. Even though I thought of giving another attempt, I did not have the time for the same.

2. I believe for the 3rd attempt it was considerably high. I spent a lot of time going through the e-gmat course itself. So weekly I remember logging approximately 45 hours. But I am sure of having put in a lot more than that because that was just lessons. I took out time for Quants practice as well.

3. I used the e-gmat material for concepts and the Official Guide for solving questions. I did delve into a lot of e-gmat Scholaranium questions as well. When it comes to the Mock Tests, I have taken the Official Mocks and the e-gmat mocks. That's it.

4. Mocks were always confusing and surprising for me. It would always give me something new to think upon. I gave a number of Mocks. I did give a number of them but most of them were always in the 630-690 range. I also had a few mocks where I got 580 and 590 as well. Those ones were the most frustrating ones. I went through and reviewed every mock I gave and realized the many silly mistakes I was making.
- Official GMAT Mock 27th March 2022 - 640(Q49, V29)
- e-gmat Mock 28th March 2022 - 650 (I do not have access to the split anymore, subscription expired). But it had a 34V and a considerably less Quant Score.
- e-gmat Mock 29th March 2022 - 580 (Again, I do not have access to the score split anymore. But this one was a shocker after having two 640s in the past two days and considering the fact that I was giving the exam the next day).

5. Right now, I will be aiming for the first round of admission for the Universities I mentioned. So if we talk about the specific time, it would be mid of October 2022. But I believe I want to get a good score much before than that deadline so that I have sufficient time to gather my resources and build a great application.

I appreciate your response. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kaizen1999,

Regarding your GMAT score, I have the perfect article for you:

How to Improve Your GMAT Score

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kaizen1999,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
kaizen1999 wrote:
Hello guys!
So, the reason I am writing this post is to gain some clarity on what I should do next. I started preparing for my GMAT back in November 2021. I am an MiM aspirant and was planning to go for my masters this year. I was not studying consistently the whole time and thought that I would be able to get a score in the 600s. I took the exam on the 30th of December and got a score of 580(Q42, V28) on my first attempt. It was shocking for me, obviously. I knew I had to get good scores soon enough to apply for the September 2022 intake. I was in my final semester of Engineering and was also working for an organization at the time.

There was something that I was not able to figure out in terms of the preparation so I decided to get the e-gmat course. I started with the course and booked the next date for 26th of February. This time I invested a lot more time in SC because I knew verbal section is where I lack. I got a score of 560(Q47, V21). After I got the score on the screen, it just felt unreal. I did not know where I was going wrong. It was funny enough for me to think that I scored better in my first attempt, for which I did not even study as much.

Now, as the last round of admissions were approaching for the course of MiM, I had to get something in the 600s to get myself even the slightest chance of getting admitted. So, in the middle of my classes, FYP, and finals I started preparing for the course the third time. I continued with the e-gmat course. I completed the verbal section of the course and most of the quants section. I was much more confident with my quants this time but with verbal, there is always this sense of uncertainty and that just kills me :(. I booked my test for the 30th of March (enough time to get my application completed for the final round). This time I got a score of 620(Q45, V31). Again, it was not what I expected. I had scored 48-49 consistently on my mocks as well as e-gmat mocks. But I did not have much time in my hands and I decided to go ahead with this score.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Context: Profile
I believe I had a pretty decent profile for an MiM candidate. I have an average of 9.87 CGPI out of 10 in my graduate course and I have received a number of
certificates for my academic excellence. (In no way am I bragging about it. This is just for context). I worked for an organization for 2 years and represented the committee on the National level. I headed a team which won National and International Awards for their performance. I had been involved in other extra-curricular activities as well including music.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I applied to HEC Paris, UCD, Bocconi and EDHEC with my score. I was not selected for the HEC program but I expected that anyway. UCD and Bocconi did not have any seats left and they sent me a mail about the same as well. But to my surprise, I got selected for the EDHEC MiM as well as the GETT program. I was awarded a scholarship as well. Long story short, I decided not to go ahead with it right now and deferred my admission because I knew I could score much better in my GMAT. I believe with a better GMAT score and a decent profile along with some work experience, I will be able to get into any of the top 10 business schools that offer MiM with a decent scholarship offer. (P.S: I graduated last month - June 2022)

Please let me know what you guys think. I am in dire need of suggestions to go about my GMAT Prep. I am determined to get a score above 700 and I know I can do it. I need a direction to get my focus areas cleared out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Hi kaizen1999,

A lot of students spend a lot of time studying from various resources but see little to no improvement. One of the major reasons is that they fail to identify the gaps in the preparation. Most courses including the one you mentioned offer same material to every user with nearly zero personalization. At the same time, these courses are completely do-it-yourself. It means you need to start studying from scratch and complete everything and while doing so you may not get an additional input on where you need to improve. So, using it to do well in the exam in a short time will be an uphill task.

Since you're targeting a quick turnaround, I suggest you follow a more personalized approach. I have recently helped a couple of students improve their score by 110 points and 130 points in about 40 days. They were in a similar situation as yours. If you want to know the details, we can connect over a call/ DM. This way we can also solve some question(s) together to know how you approach questions. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link. I would be happy to help you with the study strategy.
Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot