Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What's the best GMAT tutor for moving score from 550 to 760 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi S1937,

To start, it's not clear whether you actually need a tutor or not. As an aside, the 760+ score is the 99th percentile - meaning that 99% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" (to get into your first-choice School) are probably not the same thing.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Is your 550 an Official Score or a practice CAT/mock score? What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this exam?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to (re)take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you so much for your generous reply,

I did the mock test. I want to write the real test whenever(emphasis) my mock test start hitting 760 or quite less than that but not less than 730. I would never register for the test if that doesn't happen.

Importantly, I want to apply to a top business school. I need full(100%) scholarship. My goal is not to get admitted but to get full tuition scholarship. I can't fathom paying for MBA tuition!
Don't border telling me about GMAT essays or GPA also being a factor in tuition scholarship.

Secondly, I need a tutor that will help me to get this GMAT score at an affordable rate.
I don't care if I wud starve or deprive sleep to do my part.
The mock result I did has told me I must focus on quant a bit more bcos it's my very weak point.

I need a good tutor that will unravel all the principle being tested in quant to score around 750. I don't need shortcut and something that will blow my mind. I have seen I'm just clueless on some quant principles tested in 600-700 level questions, even though I thought I knew math.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MarcORION wrote:
S1937 wrote:
What is the best GMAT tutor out there?
I mean the tutor that gives you best value for money.
I've heard so much of many, Manhattan, Orion.
I'm confused.
I don't want to regret spending my money.
Which is the best?
I need your advice.

Hey S1937!

I know your struggle. I worked at Veritas Prep for six years before joining ORION, and I spent a ton of time researching prep companies and talking to students like yourself. There are countless GMAT prep companies out there these days, and frankly, I can see how we all start to look the same at first glance.

As you consider your options, let me say that there is no one-size-fits-all course or tutor that is the best for everybody. The first question to ask yourself is why do you want a tutor or prep course in the first place? And how do you like to learn? For example, I remember in my Veritas Prep days hearing numerous students say that they signed up for a in-person course because they just needed the structure and accountability, but then fell in love with the strategies and methodology that we taught (the GMAT is much more nuanced than you might think). Conversely, some students are too busy to attend a structured course and crave the flexibility to study at odd hours or simply whenever they can squeeze in a session here or there.

So again, I would start with some introspection around how you learn best. For a more concrete recommendation, ask yourself whether you want a predetermined course structure or something more flexible. If you lean toward the former, I would go with a Live Online or In Person Veritas Prep course (I'm obviously biased) because I trust their curriculum, resources and instructors over anyone else out there. If you prefer the latter, then you should start to consider self-guided prep options like ORION (full disclosure: we are a Veritas Prep spin-off) or consider hiring a private 1v1 tutor if you're willing to pay for one.

A private tutor can definitely pay dividends, but frankly, I would recommend starting with something more cost-effective out the gate to get your bearings before hiring a private tutor. This will allow you to optimize your tutoring hours on more difficult material, which any good/experienced tutor will appreciate.

All of that being said, the good news is that most (if not all) prep companies offer some sort of free trial before you commit. At ORION, we offer a 10 day trial so give it a shot and see how you like it. Compare it with a few other options in your price range and hopefully one will stand out to you. Regardless of what you decide, here are 3 tips to help you maximize your study time - https://intercom.help/gmat_learnwithori ... study-time

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Thank you immensely for this reply.

I don't really understand the distinction between what you called structured and flexible GMAT learning.

I need a score that MUST be in the top 5% of admitted students when I'm admitted to a top b-school.
My definition of top b-school is b-school ranked by ft.

My mock test I did was Orion trial. I'm neutral with the game-wise comparison made to the Orion app. My concern is, if I use Orion sincerely, will I get to score 750 eventually?

And within which time frame can that happen.

I don't plan to register the test if my last mock doesn't hit the desired score.

If I choose a test prep, I want it to give what it promised, not a "pay-an-extra-50dollar-and-get-the-ultimate-missing-link-to-your-target-score" thing midway through practice or something like that.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
S1937 wrote:
What is the best GMAT tutor out there?
I mean the tutor that gives you best value for money.
I've heard so much of many, Manhattan, Orion.
I'm confused.
I don't want to regret spending my money.
Which is the best?
I need your advice.

The best GMAT tutor is GMATGuruNY. You can follow him here and other website. I strongly recommend him.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Sorry for the confusion. When I say "structured" vs "flexible" the former is referring to a live course format so it follows a predetermined syllabus and schedule (e.g. Mon/Wed, 7-10pm). A flexible option is self-guided so you don't have to make it to class at the same time/day every week.

As for whether ORION can help you hit a 750, the short answer is yes it/you CAN, but I want to be clear that there are no "silver bullets" when it comes to achieving a 700+ GMAT score. Our program definitely contains everything you need to achieve that score, but it's up to you to put in the work and optimize your own personal performance. To quickly address your last point, we will never try to up-sell you on any "missing link to your target score" type of mess. Everything you need to achieve your desired score comes included with any ORION subscription.

All of that said, there are two takeaways I think are helpful for you to come out of this conversation with, regardless of whether you continue to study with ORION :

1. The GMAT is test of higher-order thinking; not content memorization. Jessica, a recent student of ours, states it quite well in her recent review that she posted this morning - "One of the biggest things Orion helped me with is to understand that the GMAT is all about logic rather than maths, and if you are doing long difficult sums you are probably doing it wrong."
2. Your floor is more important than your ceiling. Our VP of Academics, Brian, elaborates on that point in the following article - https://intercom.help/gmat_learnwithori ... a-760-gmat

Hope that helps. Happy studying!
GMAT Club Bot