Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: What to do when you cant pass the 620 mark! Please advise [#permalink]
Expert Reply
oludayo wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT last year and got a 620 (AWA was pretty good, IR was an aweful 4, quant and verbal were in the low 30s). The resources I used were Manhattan guides textbooks and Official guide solely

Given my low score I decided to apply that way and got to interview stages of all schools (even Cornell) however I didnt get any admits (Maybe being an African student with 4years experience in a multinational was to my advantage).

This year I redid the GMAT and even stayed home for 6weeks yet I got a 630! (IR remained the same, verbal increased by about 2points and quant decreased by about 2point). The resources I used were the veritas guides, a ton of the free questions on GMATCLUB and Gmatprep. Its a little confusing because when I did my mocks using GMATprep software I got 690 and 650 (although I recognised some of these questions from my study on GMATCLUB).

My question is what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? should I reshedule another test immediately or wait? Considering the fact that I have exausted most of the questions in OG 12 and done a lot of questions in GMATclub, which other resource should I be using? should I take the risk and apply with my score? This year I am focusing on canadian schools. I will like to make second round deadlines in December/January and since I have taken all my leave days from the office, it is going to be difficult to rewrite (I work a a 12hour day job)

NB; when I did both GMATs (last year and this year) my screen blanked out a few times, probably a bug, so that may have destabilised me a little though. I have filled a complaint form to GMAT on this

Please advise

Since your test scores are just the same, I would recommend you to change the way of studying. You already have got interview calls, this means that you have a good profile. If you are eying the Top schools, you might have to stretch that score little bit. Not only will it help you with the admission, but also with the scholarship. So I would recommend you to go for a retake. But this time try to change the way you study.

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22063 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
What to do when you cant pass the 620 mark! Please advise [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi oludayo,

Based on your description of how you studied for the GMAT for both attempts, it’s possible that you started practicing random practice questions prior to fully learning each GMAT topic and thus were unable to make significant improvements to your GMAT score. If you need a higher GMAT score to gain acceptance to your desired programs, you might consider re-adjusting your study routine prior to a third GMAT attempt. When studying for a retake, strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should learn everything possible about that topic: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. After that, be sure that you practice with a lot of questions (50 or more) just on Number Properties. The results of that practice will help you to determine how well you have truly mastered that topic. You will want to follow this study routine for verbal (sentence correction, critical reasoning, and reading comprehension).

To allows for such focused learning and practice, you may consider using a self-study course rather than a book. In comparison to GMAT prep books, self-study courses typically provide detailed study plans and have granular analytics, so you can easily track your progress as you move through the course. By being able to track your progress, you will remain more engaged, and you’ll be able to forecast when you are ready to take your real GMAT.

If you are finding it difficult to find time to study for the GMAT with your busy work schedule, I welcome you to read an article that I wrote that provides some advice of how to find time to study when working a demanding job.

Feel free to reach back out with any additional questions. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
What to do when you cant pass the 620 mark! Please advise [#permalink]