It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 02:00
First post... Of many... (As I'm re-taking GMAT and am looking for help here...)

Applying to Top 100 Business Schools for MBA Program with "Sub-Par" GPA. (3.04)

Wrapping up 5th year, first semester here at University of Kentucky. Looking to attend either University of Kentucky, University of Cincinnati, U of L, or Xavier for MBA.

I am a Finance major here at UK. I'm nervous as my first go-around of the GMAT netted me a 620. I have had great Internships and have worked nearly full time for the last two years of my college career, with a job an hour away from my university.

I see, and often read, the "success" story of low GPA admissions to top 10 schools... but what about the "Non Top-Ten" schools?

Anybody care to voice their opinion on how I'm laying, in respect to the odds? I don't see many discussing these lesser top-ten schools much in here.

I'm hoping my great work experience, (3 internships with large business entities) and persuasive essays can lead me to the acceptance.

Sorry to litter the forum with this kind of talk; I'd just really like some opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 128

GPA: 3.33
Re: What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
worrisome217 wrote:
First post... Of many... (As I'm re-taking GMAT and am looking for help here...)

Wrapping up 5th year, first semester here at University of Kentucky. Looking to attend either University of Kentucky, University of Cincinnati, U of L, or Xavier for MBA.

I am a Finance major here at UK. I'm nervous as my first go-around of the GMAT netted me a 620. I have had great Internships and have worked nearly full time for the last two years of my college career, with a job an hour away from my university.

I see, and often read, the "success" story of low GPA admissions to top 10 schools... but what about the "Non Top-Ten" schools?

Anybody care to voice their opinion on how I'm laying, in respect to the odds? I don't see many discussing these lesser top-ten schools much in here.

I'm hoping my great work experience, (3 internships with large business entities) and persuasive essays can lead me to the acceptance.

Sorry to litter the forum with this kind of talk; I'd just really like some opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

Hi there worrisome217,

Welcome to the club.

First, I'm not an expert here, so maybe I can share some information.

You have a good history. If I'm not mistake, you work and study simultaneously. Well, this will result in your GPA. Your academic is good.

But I think you can tell this in your essay. You can tell your strong point about your working experience. If you have a good extra curricular, you may want to write it in your essay

To make up the academic records, you may want take again GMAT with a greater score.

Maybe you can answer the following questions to clear your thought :

- Considering those school you want to apply, what is the minimum GMAT score? Your next GMAT score should be better than their minimum
- When is the time you want to apply? When is the deadline? You can track your path if you know this.
- Is your target school arranging some exhibition? Like coffe chat, open house. You may want to attend those events. And "attend" I mean you make a good communications between you and the adcom. Be prepare for that event. Show them you know their campus, their values, their alumni and you want to enroll there.

I hope that can help you a bit. I hope some experts will bump in :). Good luck.

Confidence , Commitment, and Consistence

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 128

Intern
Intern

Re: What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 08:06
arifkunto wrote:
worrisome217 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi there worrisome217,

Welcome to the club.

First, I'm not an expert here, so maybe I can share some information.

You have a good history. If I'm not mistake, you work and study simultaneously. Well, this will result in your GPA. Your academic is good.

But I think you can tell this in your essay. You can tell your strong point about your working experience. If you have a good extra curricular, you may want to write it in your essay

To make up the academic records, you may want take again GMAT with a greater score.

Maybe you can answer the following questions to clear your thought :

- Considering those school you want to apply, what is the minimum GMAT score? Your next GMAT score should be better than their minimum
- When is the time you want to apply? When is the deadline? You can track your path if you know this.
- Is your target school arranging some exhibition? Like coffe chat, open house. You may want to attend those events. And "attend" I mean you make a good communications between you and the adcom. Be prepare for that event. Show them you know their campus, their values, their alumni and you want to enroll there.

I hope that can help you a bit. I hope some experts will bump in :). Good luck.

I think you've answered pretty well here... Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, these schools do not have a minimum required score for the GMAT. I have looked at averages though, and many of the averages start under 600's.

As mentioned, these schools aren't highly competitive schools.

Re: What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2017, 08:06

What to expect... University of Kentucky MBA Program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap