GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

What went wrong and what can I do?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
What went wrong and what can I do?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 11:30
I took the GMAT exam for the second time this week. My first attempt in April I got a Q24 and Verbal 25. I started studying full time from Mid August until Mid October 2 months using the GMAT official questions for verbal and Target Test Prep for Quant. I really liked Target Test prep and felt more comfortable doing the quant questions. I did 4 practice CAT tests (GMAT prep) within the last 11 days before my test with an average of 2-3 days in between.

I scored 550 on the first (Q31 V35) 600 on the second (Q37 V35) 590 on the third (Q36 V35) and the 4th 2 days before my exam (Q27 V36). I ended up scoring Q24 and V33 on the actual test. I was discouraged and don't know how I went wrong. I'm re-writing the test on November 21st and need just a 550 to get into the school I applied for. What should I do differently this time around? I'm thinking I burned out because I was feeling pretty tired in the final days leading up to my test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Don't try selling me any of your course materials I have more than enough practice questions at my disposal already.
Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: What went wrong and what can I do?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 13:27
Hey jciraczz,

It's pretty likely that you ended up exhausting yourself in the last few days leading up to your exam. Taking a practice CAT is hard work, both physically and mentally, and chances are if you were trying to squeeze in a test every 2 - 3 days in the 11 days leading up to your exam that you weren't as mentally rested as you could have been going into the test. While taking CATs during preparation to get used to the timing and the experience of sitting and taking a test for that long is important, so to is resting your brain before the big day.

In terms of getting ready for your next test, I'd recommend:

1) Order an Enhanced Score Report, which can help you figure out where things went wrong on test day.

2) Use that information to structure your last month of preparation. While you probably will need to do a one or two more practice CATs, remember that they are generally a method of monitoring progress -- they should not be your primary method of study! Instead, focus on your weakest areas. In an adaptive test, the easiest questions you get wrong are often going to be more important to your score than are the hardest questions you can get right -- after all, if you can't prove that you can consistently do easier questions, the algorithm has no proof that you'll be able to handle harder ones.

3) Make sure to relax a bit before you take your next test. It seems counterintuitive, but taking a couple days off studying (or only doing some VERY light content review) is really important to performing well on test day. Think about it in terms of sports training: a marathon runner isn't going to run a 20 -mile run the weekend before the big day. He or she will have done that a few weeks before. Instead, they'll spend the weekend before making sure to eat and drink well and "taper off" the amount they're running in order to be well rested for the big run. The same principle applies when you're about to take the GMAT. A bit of light review is fine, but trying to cram in new concepts or take a ton of CATs is probably going to do more harm than good.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 18:38
jciraczz wrote:
I took the GMAT exam for the second time this week. My first attempt in April I got a Q24 and Verbal 25. I started studying full time from Mid August until Mid October 2 months using the GMAT official questions for verbal and Target Test Prep for Quant. I really liked Target Test prep and felt more comfortable doing the quant questions. I did 4 practice CAT tests (GMAT prep) within the last 11 days before my test with an average of 2-3 days in between.

I scored 550 on the first (Q31 V35) 600 on the second (Q37 V35) 590 on the third (Q36 V35) and the 4th 2 days before my exam (Q27 V36). I ended up scoring Q24 and V33 on the actual test. I was discouraged and don't know how I went wrong. I'm re-writing the test on November 21st and need just a 550 to get into the school I applied for. What should I do differently this time around? I'm thinking I burned out because I was feeling pretty tired in the final days leading up to my test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Don't try selling me any of your course materials I have more than enough practice questions at my disposal already.
If you're feeling burned out, the first thing to do is to let yourself recover. Maybe with some light prep thrown in, but nothing major.

1. What do you think happened in the tests in which you got Q31 and Q27? Was it just tiredness, or were there some questions or concepts that threw you off? You should think about this, as your Q37 and Q36 are much better scores (Q37 is 32%, whereas Q27 is 12%).

2. You were able to maintain a higher level of performance in verbal (you improved from V25 to V33). This score is in line with your GMATPrep scores (V35, V35, V35, and V36). This point itself could indicate (for the quant section) that you were nervous or that you still need to work on the basics. That is, if you were tired, I would have expected your verbal score to also drop by much more than the 8% that it did.

3. Did you take quant first or did you take verbal first this time around?

Ascore Prep | Live Online

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 19:18
Hi jciraczz,

In a post back in April of this year (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/where-do-i-g ... l#p2045263), you described your first GMAT attempt - with a similar outcome. Twice now, you've consistently scored higher on your practice CATs only to earn a significantly lower Score on Test Day. As such, there's likely some issue (or multiple issues) with how you take your CATs and/or how you handle Test Day itself. To hit your Goal Score, you do NOT have to correctly answer any questions that you think are too hard or too weird, but you do have to minimize the number of little mistakes.

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. By taking 4 CATs in the 11 days before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day. If you took a similar number of CATs in the final 2 weeks before your first GMAT, then that might be enough to explain your situation. However, there are likely a variety of other factors that influenced your performance (on both attempts) - and that might require more than just a few "tips" to fix.

1) What application deadline(s) are you facing?
2) When you say that you "only need" a 550, what does that mean exactly? Is that a minimum score requirement to apply? Would a 550 guarantee you entry (and how do you know that?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 16:38
Hi jciraczz,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. I see that you’ve been using our course for two months, but I’d like to take a closer look at your analytics to see how you’ve been scoring as well as how much of the course you’ve completed. I just sent you a DM, so we can hop on a call to chat further.

I’ve got your back!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: What went wrong and what can I do? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 16:38

What went wrong and what can I do?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap