GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 09:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where do I go from here?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Where do I go from here? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 20:52
Hi all,

I would like fo ask some advice for those who have taken the GMAT. I am at a tough point right now. I have been studying for the gmat for 4 months using several materials (Kaplan, ExamPAL, and the GMAC quant questions). I typically studied 7 days a week (I work full time but did 2 hours a night and 7 hours on the weekend). In my practice tests I got 480, 480, 560 and 510 but after taking the test today I got 430. I chose not to cancel my score.

For the program I want to get into I need about a 600. What more can I do to achieve this? I’m not going to give up I want to get into business school very bad. What do you guys recommend I do? When should I retake my test? What other materials do I need? Should I quit my job and study exclusively? Thanks in advance for the advice, cheers!

Posted from my mobile device

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Where do I go from here? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 21:59
jciraczz wrote:
Hi all,

I would like fo ask some advice for those who have taken the GMAT. I am at a tough point right now. I have been studying for the gmat for 4 months using several materials (Kaplan, ExamPAL, and the GMAC quant questions). I typically studied 7 days a week (I work full time but did 2 hours a night and 7 hours on the weekend). In my practice tests I got 480, 480, 560 and 510 but after taking the test today I got 430. I chose not to cancel my score.

For the program I want to get into I need about a 600. What more can I do to achieve this? I’m not going to give up I want to get into business school very bad. What do you guys recommend I do? When should I retake my test? What other materials do I need? Should I quit my job and study exclusively? Thanks in advance for the advice, cheers!

Hi,

I would like to provide a suggestion. Why don't you try Manhattan Guide Set? Many test takers highly recommend those books.

I think that from 600 to 700 could be hard, but going from 400 to 600 isn't. Hope you could reach your target soon.

Oh, I think that you shouldn't quit your job since your job is the back up if your application is failed. Working everyday keeps your brain fresh.

Also, many test takers took their jobs while preparing GMAT. They still earned high score. So your job isn't the reason to blame.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Where do I go from here? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 22:11
jciraczz wrote:
Hi all,

Hello jciraczz,

I'm sorry to hear that your GMAT score was not up to your expectations. You have put in a considerable amount of effort and I can understand your frustration at this moment. You mention that you have been studying from various materials, but the OG does not appear in the list. Did you solve the OG questions? Additionally, out of the practice tests you mention writing, what was your score on the GMAT Prep mocks? Did you try and simulate a test environment (not pausing the test, not taking breaks in the middle of a section, etc) while writing these practice tests?

Don't get disheartened and don't quit your job. It is possible that you merely need a structured approach to preparation to reach the score you are capable of achieving.

-IB
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 05:51
Interrobong wrote:
jciraczz wrote:
Hi all,

Hello jciraczz,

I'm sorry to hear that your GMAT score was not up to your expectations. You have put in a considerable amount of effort and I can understand your frustration at this moment. You mention that you have been studying from various materials, but the OG does not appear in the list. Did you solve the OG questions? Additionally, out of the practice tests you mention writing, what was your score on the GMAT Prep mocks? Did you try and simulate a test environment (not pausing the test, not taking breaks in the middle of a section, etc) while writing these practice tests?

Don't get disheartened and don't quit your job. It is possible that you merely need a structured approach to preparation to reach the score you are capable of achieving.

-IB

Thank you for the tips! What do you mean by OG? I bought questions from the GMAC website. I scored 480, 510, and 560 on the GMAT prep practice tests and I did simulate the conditions as much as possible but I did take some breaks for a few minutes because I felt exhausted. I'm not sure what other structure I can use.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 05:53
broall wrote:
jciraczz wrote:
Hi all,

Hi,

I would like to provide a suggestion. Why don't you try Manhattan Guide Set? Many test takers highly recommend those books.

I think that from 600 to 700 could be hard, but going from 400 to 600 isn't. Hope you could reach your target soon.

Oh, I think that you shouldn't quit your job since your job is the back up if your application is failed. Working everyday keeps your brain fresh.

Also, many test takers took their jobs while preparing GMAT. They still earned high score. So your job isn't the reason to blame.

I have not used Manhattan Prep although I've heard both good and bad things about them. I don't really want to spend too much money on a course as I've spent over $600 on prep material so far. I was thinking perhaps Empower GMAT since it looks pretty cheap. Do you think Manhattan is worth it?
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 06:59
jciraczz wrote:
Interrobong wrote:
jciraczz wrote:
Hi all,

Hello jciraczz,

-IB

Thank you for the tips! What do you mean by OG? I bought questions from the GMAC website. I scored 480, 510, and 560 on the GMAT prep practice tests and I did simulate the conditions as much as possible but I did take some breaks for a few minutes because I felt exhausted. I'm not sure what other structure I can use.
By OG I mean GMAC's Official Guide to the GMAT. It is the bare minimum of preparation required for the test. Questions in this book bear the closest resemblance to questions on the actual GMAT. Everything else is supposed to either complement the OG - by way of teaching you strategy which you can then use to solve OG questions - or supplement it by providing you additional practice.

Since you didn't solve the OG, it can be safely assumed that you are capable of a much better score. Like broall says, you can use the Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) guides for learning strategies which you can then use to solve OG questions. What's more, buying the MGMAT guides will give you access to 6 of their practice tests for free. If you adopt a methodical approach, you can easily break the 600 barrier. Good luck!

-IB

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:35
Hi jciraczz,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Before we talk about that specific event, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Can you go into more detail about the study materials that you've used so far? Were they books? Classes? Which practice CATs did you use? Etc.
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for your Official GMAT (the 430)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) When you say that you "need" a 600+, what does that mean exactly? Is that a minimum score requirement to apply? Would a 600 guarantee you entry (and how do you know that?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Where do I go from here?   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 10:35

Where do I go from here?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap