Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 19:41 It is currently 01 May 2024, 19:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1306 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: What went wrong in 2nd attempt (ESR Attached) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheFatBandit wrote:
1. I got too fixated on the 1st ten verbal questions and put in a lot more time than needed. So I had to guess on a couple of RC questions at last.

Curious to know how you concluded that; your ESR shows 1:45 minutes per question in the first quarter. That seems quite ok to me.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30838 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheFatBandit

Hi Arnesh,

Congratulations on scoring a 700 in the GMAT! To help you evaluate your ESR, I’ve recorded a video with my analysis of the data points in your ESR. Here is the link:

Arnesh | ESR Analysis - Watch Video

Here is the summary of the video:
  1. Your Verbal score indicates some gaps (Conceptual/Application) in Reading Comprehension (50 %ile) and Critical Reasoning (69 %ile). To target a V40+ score, we need to fix the gaps in these subsections by cementing your skills in each.
  2. The current approach in RC doesn’t seem to be working out. You need to change your methodology here. Here is an article on tips for improving RC.
  3. In Quant, you need more data at a topic-wise level (at least 60 questions per subsection) to identify your topic-wise weaknesses and to cover those gaps.
  4. You also need a more recent measure of your ability. You can take a free SIGma-X mock test that will provide you an ESR analysis. Here is the link.

Time Commitment: We'd also like to know how much time (per day or per week) you can commit to your prep till Jan-end?

Next Steps:
  1. Take a SIGma-X mock
  2. Get on a one-on-one Strategy call with us by reaching out to us at support@e-gmat.com.

Motivation:
Below are a couple of examples of students who improved their scores from a similar situation. I do hope you find these examples helpful.

1. 700 to 760 in 3 weeks
  2. 700 to 740 in 16 days

Hope this helps!

-Vaibhav
Intern
Intern
Send PM
egmat wrote:

1. In Quant, you need more data at a topic-wise level (at least 60 questions per subsection) to identify your topic-wise weaknesses and to cover those gaps.
2. You also need a more recent measure of your ability. You can take a free SIGma-X mock test that will provide you an ESR analysis.

Time Commitment: We'd also like to know how much time (per day or per week) you can commit to your prep till Jan-end?

Hey Vaibhav,
Thanks for taking the time to make the video and help me understand things better. You rightly mentioned the ESR. I had to take a break from my prep due to academic responsibilities. I will give the Sigma-X mock as per your suggestion and will let you know how it goes.

Here are a couple of additional pointers that might help you understand my then performance:
1. I have maintained an error log for all my practice and test attempts. I have tagged things as best I could then. I hope it helps.
rebrand.ly/arnesh-practice-log
rebrand.ly/arnesh-test-log
2. Time Commitment: I am free from any academic responsibility and can devote as much time as required.

Regards,
Arnesh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Curious to know how you concluded that; your ESR shows 1:45 minutes per question in the first quarter. That seems quite ok to me.

Sorry. I wrote that statement a bit vaguely. I was talking about the 2nd quarter timings where I averaged a 2:20 per question in verbal.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5141 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi TheFatBandit.

Your ESR indicates that you missed a relatively easy question in the last quartile of the verbal section. So, it could be that your guesses at the end did work against you a little. However, your performance in that quartile was pretty strong, with just one missed question.

What hurt your verbal score more was missing two questions in the first quartile, including at least one rather easy one, and missing three in the second quartile.

To get some insights into what you could do to increase your verbal score, you could watch this video.

Regarding quant, I bet you can get from the following post some ideas that you can use to get to Q51.

How to Get a Perfect 800 GMAT Score
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Arnesh,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22115 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI TheFatBandit,

700 is certainly a solid score, but yes, it's below where you were scoring on your official GMAC practice exams. That said, do you think nerves played any sort of role in the verbal section?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:

700 is certainly a solid score, but yes, it's below where you were scoring on your official GMAC practice exams. That said, do you think nerves played any sort of role in the verbal section?

Hey Scott,
Yeah, I think so. I was not the same relaxed as I was during my mocks and did panic a bit about the questions at last. But again I am not too sure on that.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30838 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheFatBandit wrote:
egmat wrote:

1. In Quant, you need more data at a topic-wise level (at least 60 questions per subsection) to identify your topic-wise weaknesses and to cover those gaps.
2. You also need a more recent measure of your ability. You can take a free SIGma-X mock test that will provide you an ESR analysis.

Hey Vaibhav,
Thanks for taking the time to make the video and help me understand things better. You rightly mentioned the ESR. I had to take a break from my prep due to academic responsibilities. I will give the Sigma-X mock as per your suggestion and will let you know how it goes.

Here are a couple of additional pointers that might help you understand my then performance:
1. I have maintained an error log for all my practice and test attempts. I have tagged things as best I could then. I hope it helps.
rebrand.ly/arnesh-practice-log
rebrand.ly/arnesh-test-log
2. Time Commitment: I am free from any academic responsibility and can devote as much time as required.

Regards,
Arnesh

TheFatBandit

Hey Arnesh,

Thank you for writing back and sharing your error log. I have recorded a video to capture my advice on your improvement strategy. Please find it below.

Arnesh | Next steps - Watch Video

Here is a summary of the video:
  1. To improve upon each sub-section and various weaker topics within the sub-sections, we need your recent attempts data (at least 60 questions per sub-section).
  2. With both accuracy and timing data for all the sub-sections across easy, medium, and hard difficulties, we would be able to identify whether it’s an ability issue or a timing issue, or both that you’re facing in various areas.
  3. Once you’ve completed your SIGma-X mock, please share your results at support@e-gmat.com so that we can set up a Strategy call to help you with your mock analysis and the improvement strategy.

Hope this helps.

-Vaibhav
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Arnesh,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot