Last visit was: 16 Jul 2024, 12:26 It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 12:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [4]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 762
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Re: When Elizabeth Cady Stanton composed the Declaration of Sentiments in [#permalink]
zxwhud wrote:
I’m confused the answer A “it” refer to
I think the first it refer to the “ that he would have to leave town” and the second it refer to “Declaration of Sentiments“ . The it refer to different item, is there any problem with pronoun?

Please think again what the first IT could refer to.

See what becomes of the sentence if we substitute what you suggested:
Quote:
When Elizabeth Cady Stanton composed the Declaration of Sentiments in the early 1840s, her husband stated that that he would have to leave town was so bold that he would have to leave town if she read The Declaration of Sentiments at the Seneca Falls Convention, a landmark event in the women's rights movement in the US.

Whether we look at grammar or meaning, does this version of the sentence work? Is this even a proper sentence?

The grammar rule is that IT should refer to a singular noun. (Except in sentences such as 'It is difficult to remember all the rules': here the IT does not refer to anything).

A second grammar rule is that if we replace the IT with the item to which it refers, we should still have a sentence.

From the meaning point of view, the substitution should make sense. Does it make sense to say that 'he would have to leave town was so bold that he would have to leave town'?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: When Elizabeth Cady Stanton composed the Declaration of Sentiments in [#permalink]
vv65 wrote:
zxwhud wrote:
I’m confused the answer A “it” refer to
I think the first it refer to the “ that he would have to leave town” and the second it refer to “Declaration of Sentiments“ . The it refer to different item, is there any problem with pronoun?

Please think again what the first IT could refer to.

See what becomes of the sentence if we substitute what you suggested:
Quote:
When Elizabeth Cady Stanton composed the Declaration of Sentiments in the early 1840s, her husband stated that that he would have to leave town was so bold that he would have to leave town if she read The Declaration of Sentiments at the Seneca Falls Convention, a landmark event in the women's rights movement in the US.

Whether we look at grammar or meaning, does this version of the sentence work? Is this even a proper sentence?

The grammar rule is that IT should refer to a singular noun. (Except in sentences such as 'It is difficult to remember all the rules': here the IT does not refer to anything).

A second grammar rule is that if we replace the IT with the item to which it refers, we should still have a sentence.

From the meaning point of view, the substitution should make sense. Does it make sense to say that 'he would have to leave town was so bold that he would have to leave town'?

thanks for replying.
I thought "it" refer to the that-clause. so the first "it" doesn't stand for any noun?
if the clause is presented [ it's adj. that.... ], that-clause is the subject of the sentence. If i can say i can ignore the it ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
zxwhud wrote:
I thought "it" refer to the that-clause. so the first "it" doesn't stand for any noun?

It does! In this question, the first 'IT' does stand for a singular noun.

Except in sentences of the type 'It is adjective...', 'IT' should refer to a singular noun.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Send PM
When Elizabeth Cady Stanton composed the Declaration of Sentiments in [#permalink]
zxwhud wrote:
if the clause is presented [ it's adj. that.... ], that-clause is the subject of the sentence.

I said this is a SC rule: IT must refer to a singular noun.

And I mentioned an exception to the rule.
Here is an example of the exception: "It is difficult to remember all the rules".
The 'IT' does not stand for anything. The verb in the sentence is 'IS'. The subject is "to remember all the rules". Because the sentence can be rewritten as "To remember all the rules is difficult".

Here is another example: It is clear that the GMAT is difficult.
Again, the IT is a dummy that does not refer to anything. The subject is 'that the GMAT is difficult'.

But, but, but ... the Elizabeth Stanton SC question we are discussing does not fit in this exception category. Every IT in the sentence refers to a singular noun.

Quote:
If i can say i can ignore the it ?
Sorry, but I don't understand the question :?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vv65 wrote:
zxwhud wrote:

It does! In this question, the first 'IT' does stand for a singular noun.

Except in sentences of the type 'It is adjective...', 'IT' should refer to a singular noun.

oh,I see. I misunderstood the meaning.
two IT here refer to "Declaration of Sentiments"
thank you very much.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts