GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 10 Jul 2020, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When to schedule test!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Kellogg '22
When to schedule test!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 19:42
Hi everyone!

New here at gmatclub. I was wondering if it's safe to schedule my test already and for when? How much more practice do you think I'll need until the exam for me to reach my target?

I've been studying foundations since start of April and then started doing practice tests around end of May.

Here's my mock scores so far.

TARGET SCORE: 720 to 750

5/25/2020 - Magoosh Q41 V35 630
5/31/2020 - Veritas 1 Q48 V36 680
6/3/2020 - Veritas 2 Q46 V36 670
6/6/2020 - GMAT PREP 1 Q44 V48 740

Also - do you guys recommend taking 2 practice test a week or just 1 when it's leading up to exam date? I have enough tests on hand to do two but I don't wanna wear my brain out.

Any advice is appreciated, especially from those who have already taken it!
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When to schedule test!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2020, 20:34
silvernimbus87 - Welcome to GMAT!

Even though most test-prep companies have improved their testing resources, nothing comes close to the GMAT Prep tests. Given your wide range of scores in practice tests, it is difficult to say with absolute certainty what your actual baseline score is. I see you scored a 740 on your most recent practice test offered by GMAT Prep. In ideal circumstances, test-takers must consistently score in the range of 10-30 points from the target score in at least 3 consecutive practice tests, preferably ones offred by GMAT Prep. Only when you are at that level, should you schedule the real-GMAT. If not and if the 'other' test prep companies have estimated your score more precisely, you may very well end up scoring 100-150 points lower than your target score.

New to GMAT Club? Start with the study plan!
Should I retake GMAT? Retaking GMAT Strategies!

What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.79
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 02:39
I think that taking the practice tests many times will not make you wear your brain out. You should take the practice tests at the same time as you want to schedule, for example, in the morning. Your brain will get used to doing the test seriously and intensively. Moreover, you will improve your time management skill, confidence,... The more you practice the better you get. Good luck, bro!
Sloan MIT School Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 03:42
silvernimbus87 wrote:
Hi everyone!

New here at gmatclub. I was wondering if it's safe to schedule my test already and for when? How much more practice do you think I'll need until the exam for me to reach my target?

I've been studying foundations since start of April and then started doing practice tests around end of May.

Also - do you guys recommend taking 2 practice test a week or just 1 when it's leading up to exam date? I have enough tests on hand to do two but I don't wanna wear my brain out.

A V48 in GMAT prep is great but you need to work on Quant. Consider GC test to improve from 44 to 49-50 or 51 - take a free GC quant test because they are the best, better subscribe them. However, how did you get a jump from V36 to V48, which helped you jump by 70 points - that's unusual. Check it again by giving another GMAT prep test so that 740 was showing your real ability. Another test with score in similar range should suffice your target your.
Schools: Stanford, Kellogg '22

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 04:11
lnm87 wrote:
silvernimbus87 wrote:
Hi everyone!

A V48 in GMAT prep is great but you need to work on Quant. Consider GC test to improve from 44 to 49-50 or 51 - take a free GC quant test because they are the best, better subscribe them. However, how did you get a jump from V36 to V48, which helped you jump by 70 points - that's unusual. Check it again by giving another GMAT prep test so that 740 was showing your real ability. Another test with score in similar range should suffice your target your.

I actually don't know I think it's cos I took it in the weekend and was really well-rested (not worrying about work in a few hours) + I learned from my last test that I was too quick answering and ended up having 20 minutes left so I decided to really focus more this time, utilize the entire 60 or so minutes, and understand each passag. I guess that strategy worked enormously for me. it was weird because I didn't even finish the last problem so I was definitely surprised but I checked and got most right so don't think it was a glitch. I'll check again in my next test.

Thanks for the advice on quant! I'll check out the GC tests for it.
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 07:20
Hi, having 2 practice tests from official gmatprep in a week is a prudent step. Always simulate the real test environment as close as possible to the real one (eg. In the morning, after breakfast, insufficient sleep, etc). Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device
Sloan MIT School Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2020, 09:04
silvernimbus87 wrote:

I actually don't know I think it's cos I took it in the weekend and was really well-rested (not worrying about work in a few hours) + I learned from my last test that I was too quick answering and ended up having 20 minutes left so I decided to really focus more this time, utilize the entire 60 or so minutes, and understand each passag. I guess that strategy worked enormously for me. it was weird because I didn't even finish the last problem so I was definitely surprised but I checked and got most right so don't think it was a glitch. I'll check again in my next test.

Thanks for the advice on quant! I'll check out the GC tests for it.

Wow! 20 minutes left in verbal...!!
Over that you didn't finish!? Your verbal must be quite something. Better i take give lessons from you :).
Do update us about next mock then..
Re: When to schedule test!   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2020, 09:04

When to schedule test!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics