Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Where to begin with Math [#permalink]
evansgherzi wrote:
Hi,

Usually when I come across someone in your situation, I recommend going out and getting yourself a good book to cover the math basics. Do not move into your full GMAT prep until you have refreshed yourself on the basics, as they are the foundations to all other Quant problems you will come across. If you are having difficulty determining your areas of weakness, I would try out a good adaptive course. You can try a free trial for one for a full week here (and it comes with a free sim test which can help you determine where you are at right now):
When do you plan on taking your GMAT? How long do you have to prepare?

Sincerely,
Evan

I plan to take the GMAT next summer, so I have about 9 months. I started out doing Khan Academy and going over all the old math from high school, but I think this approach could be overkill.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
We (Manhattan Prep) have a book called Foundations of GMAT Math that covers all the basics and provides lots of drill.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
DMoneyBx wrote:
evansgherzi wrote:
Hi,

Usually when I come across someone in your situation, I recommend going out and getting yourself a good book to cover the math basics. Do not move into your full GMAT prep until you have refreshed yourself on the basics, as they are the foundations to all other Quant problems you will come across. If you are having difficulty determining your areas of weakness, I would try out a good adaptive course. You can try a free trial for one for a full week here (and it comes with a free sim test which can help you determine where you are at right now):
When do you plan on taking your GMAT? How long do you have to prepare?

Sincerely,
Evan

I plan to take the GMAT next summer, so I have about 9 months. I started out doing Khan Academy and going over all the old math from high school, but I think this approach could be overkill.

Yes, you don't want to go and study 10 math areas out of which only 4 are tested on the GMAT. Chances are, you will be much better if you focus using one of the GMAT Math books or the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math or Kaplan Math Workbook - there are quite a few out there. Also, take a look at the study plan here: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html (make sure you don't make this a 9-12 months journey and keep it under 6 months). This is not a leisure book club type of setting....This is a very competitive test.
GMAT Club Bot