Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 12:53 It is currently 10 May 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Which schools do I stand a chance to get into ? [#permalink]
Thanks for the response... Really appreciate your reply.

You are correct. I haven't mentioned any reason as to why I want to follow an MBA. 'I don't want to do anything else' is definitely not what I will be mentioning in the essays. That would be suicidal... I like marketing and strategy. Although I have no background in these, I can get up to speed and do some basic groundwork once I am through with the gmat. I plan to spend some time thinking 'which MBA' after my gmat... although this is not the best situation, it is better than doing an mba just because a) all your freinds are doing it or b) it sounds cool or pays a lot.. I say this because one of my friends, who is in HEC at the moment did not give me an impressive answer as to why he was doing it when I asked him the question before he joined the school. I got the feeling that it was either peer pressure or the moolah which made him pursue a degree. At least I am following my heart!

PS: I am moving ahead full throttle with the preparation:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey!!

I guess you should at least start some community service now and build upon that. Saying that you have been doing stuff in tits and bits but XYZ gave you a platform to serve a larger group and that was more satisfying and stuff.

and am sure you got plenty of work exp and sth interesting must have happened all these years to bedazzle the adcom.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2327 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
kaptain wrote:
After 5 years with IBM, the technical cum leadership nature of my work doesn't excite me at all. Neither inspiring is the work of my boss, or my boss's boss. So there's something wrong with the nature of work/industry itself and hence the urge to do an MBA to do something different. I prefer a career change rather than continue in the same line. Has anyone actually changed careers after such a long time? Most would do a 1 Year part-time MBA and continue in the same line because prior experience will work to their advantage. However I wouldn't mind the longer and expensive route of a full 2 year MBA if it works out for me(If only I could know!)

I'll suggest you to first decide upon which career you want to shift to. Whichever school you apply to, the 1st quetion would be "why you want to MBA". I understand that in India the major reasons are hefty pay packages and attractive job profile. But still you need to work upon a better reason.

Regarding improving your profile, you can do lot of things like volunteer activities, taking some leadership initiatives, getting certifications in things like six sigma/PMP/etc
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
I'll suggest you to first decide upon which career you want to shift to. Whichever school you apply to, the 1st quetion would be "why you want to MBA". I understand that in India the major reasons are hefty pay packages and attractive job profile. But still you need to work upon a better reason.

Regarding improving your profile, you can do lot of things like volunteer activities, taking some leadership initiatives, getting certifications in things like six sigma/PMP/etc

You've raised some very interesting questions... which I would like to counter question:))

As for "why mba", in short (and highly ambitious) words, I would like to help organizations develop go-to market strategies, capture new markets, be innovative, develop the competitive edge and help them be recession proof(possible ???) etc etc to the best extent possible... This would be a highly unpolished answer and I have no background or prior experience in these so don't know where all this ends up..
Salary is not the point (if at all I get a substantial increase post mba i.e.)... Tech companies are paying really good these days.... I can go to US or UK on work permit and search for a job and get a really good package..Whats the point in being unhappy earning a good salary ? I am altogether bored with IT (Development and PM) both .... I have 8 years of tech experience, I think it will be some time before I break even the MBA tuition fees /expenses etc. So this is not about the money definitely. I am supposing that with my rather large experience, the colleges might not give any financial aid as well thinking that I could afford it:(

The one thing I wanted to question on was the PMP. I was seriously thinking of doing it till some days back. However, wouldn't the adcoms ask why i want to do an mba when I am already a PMP i.e already in a managerial line??? Is that really going to help?

I gave the gmat last year and messed up big time.. Have to attempt around April-May this year again. There's no way I am gonna leave this fight!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2327 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
It may not be PMP only, I was just trying to give some examples. PMP would help if you want to work as Project Manager post MBA. The b-school loves to see how the candidate has been working towards his/her goal. For example, if someone wants to work in finance sector post MBA, adding a CFA or a related certification would surely help to convince b-school.

In your case, you need to decide upon post MBA goals, both long-term and short-term. Now based on these goals you may have to convince adcoms that you already have been doing something to achieve that goal. This could be either through some certification / your job profile / extracurricular etc.

Here are some of my posts you might be interested in:
why-mba-84855.html
indian-b-schools-accepting-gmat-scores-82525.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Looking at yur post, I think you are interested in IT project management side(not sure though)... Conventional PM't is not what I am after.. I would like to be part of the Marketing/Sales Team etc.. So I think PMP will be not be of much use to me. Do you have any suggestion for someone interested in marketing ?

The gmat is my biggest hurdle.. I am not one of those guys who prepare 1 month before the exam and come whistling out the centre with a 750+ score and 10 minutes remaining in both sections.. So I want to give all the attention to the gmat first and do the rest of the introspection later... am gonna lose time with this approach since ideally I should work on all aspects of the application in parallel, but would like to take one thing at a time..

Had I felt like doing the MBA some years back, I would have had plenty of time at hands. I have seen colleagues sitting next to me filling essays around two years back but at that time thought they were wasting time doing an mba :shock: Last year I felt like I should go for one as well, not because of the pay or 'everyone is doing it' psychology... but I feel that I am ready for it and will benefit from it.[Again, this is not what I am gonna tell the adcoms]..
GMAT Club Bot