GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Mar 2020, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which schools should I apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Which schools should I apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 05:36
Hi,
I am planning to apply to a full-time MBA in the US for classes starting in 2014. I am having a hard time trying to finalize the schools that i need to apply to.
I had given my GMAT in December 2011. Had scored 740 ( Q - 51, V - 38 ). I have a total work experience of 6 years. The first 5 years I was with Deloitte Consulting,
out of which 2.5 years i was working as an offshore technical consultant based out of Mumbai. The remaining 2.5 years i was elevated to the position of an Onsite Coordinator and was working out of Houston, TX, US.
I quit Deloitte last year and teamed up with 4 others and started a new venture based out of Houston and developed a new product. It's still in its early days.
But if it doesn't take off, i want to be sitting in a MBA class in order to accelerate my career and get back into consulting and also build a good work life balance.

While i was at Deloitte, I was constantly involved in training and mentor-ship for new campus recruits.
I completed my B tech in Mechanical engineering with a CGPA of 7.22 from College of Engineering Trivandrum.
I was an elected member to the Students council and i was involved in a host of activities.
Since teenage, I have remained an instructor and first dan black Belt in Karate. I train students part time at local training centers.

I will be married next year and in all probability my spouse would accompany me during the entire duration of the course. She will have to find work if laws permit. But while budgeting my MBA, i am not considering an offset income from my spouse.

With my profile, to which schools do you think i should be applying. ? I do not want to apply to any school where i absolutely stand no chance. I want to be realistic about this.

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
D
Re: Which schools should I apply to?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:58
eldhosem wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to apply to a full-time MBA in the US for classes starting in 2014. I am having a hard time trying to finalize the schools that i need to apply to.
I had given my GMAT in December 2011. Had scored 740 ( Q - 51, V - 38 ). I have a total work experience of 6 years. The first 5 years I was with Deloitte Consulting,
out of which 2.5 years i was working as an offshore technical consultant based out of Mumbai. The remaining 2.5 years i was elevated to the position of an Onsite Coordinator and was working out of Houston, TX, US.
I quit Deloitte last year and teamed up with 4 others and started a new venture based out of Houston and developed a new product. It's still in its early days.
But if it doesn't take off, i want to be sitting in a MBA class in order to accelerate my career and get back into consulting and also build a good work life balance.

While i was at Deloitte, I was constantly involved in training and mentor-ship for new campus recruits.
I completed my B tech in Mechanical engineering with a CGPA of 7.22 from College of Engineering Trivandrum.
I was an elected member to the Students council and i was involved in a host of activities.
Since teenage, I have remained an instructor and first dan black Belt in Karate. I train students part time at local training centers.

I will be married next year and in all probability my spouse would accompany me during the entire duration of the course. She will have to find work if laws permit. But while budgeting my MBA, i am not considering an offset income from my spouse.

With my profile, to which schools do you think i should be applying. ? I do not want to apply to any school where i absolutely stand no chance. I want to be realistic about this.

Thanks.

Hi,

Any b-school that you apply to will help you get a consulting job! Do you have any location preferenecs, or can you move anywhere in the US?

Namita Garg,
www.mbadecoder.com

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 23:20
You have a good profile with a high GMAT score. Though your GPA is low, you can compensate that with your GMAT score.

Though the brand name of your company is good, you would have to tell something more regarding your work experience. B-schools mostly look at a few very important qualities like leadership, achievements and team work. Also, you would be questioned about your decision regarding shifting to entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship would be good aspect about your application, but you would have to show that you worked really hard on it. Remember, perfect application essays are the key. If you structure your essays carefully, and are able to draft a convincing story, you can reach to the interview stage.

Your extracurricular achievement as a black belt says a lot about you. The fact that you still remain engaged with it could be a strong selling point.

You should apply to top 10-20 US business schools. Since you have international experience, and you teamed-up in US to launch your on start-up, you could apply to LBS, INSEAD and HEC.

Best of luck!
http://www.InterviewBay.com
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2013, 10:01
Hey there,

Thanks for the thorough profile description! That really helps.

One thing we'd need from you though is a little more commentary around your MBA requirements and goals. Consulting is rather vague. Do you want to return to tech consulting? Do you want to switch to strategy? Are there any academic gaps you're trying to fill? Any regions you want to be in?

Another thing to not forget is to look at which schools Deloitte has a strong placement and recruiting relationship with. These are primarily driven by S&O practitioners but Tech and HC do benefit from the reputation bump at these programs.

Also, are you GSAP sponsored?

So if you could give me a tad more info, I'd be happy to help you!

Bhavik

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which schools should I apply to?   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2013, 10:01

Which schools should I apply to?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste