GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Overview of Top EMBA Programs

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

Personal MBA Coach's Overview of Top EMBA Programs eBook To download for free, join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on perfecting your MBA applications

Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 14:09
Work experience:

~7 years (all in Technical Consulting / Software Engineering)

- 2 years consulting with a small firm as a Business Systems Analyst , client was a major healthcare provider

- 1 year working with a large financial firm as a Product Manager

- 3.5 years working in Government as a contractor / technical consulting. Currently in a lead / managerial role.

- Founded my own start-up , had it for 2-3 years before selling off the little assets it had left.

Extracurriculars:

- Played a (not well known sport) nationally in College. Was ranked and sponsored.

- Some small volunteer work.

Undergrad school/major:

--BS in Ind. Mgmt / Engineering from a big state School where there is NO grade inflation, my programs are in the top 10 and top 20 nationally; respectively. A 2.7 = B- and we used a reverse bell curve for a lot of my engineering and math classes (i.e. University of Illinois / Purdue / Penn State). Was in Electrical Computer Engineering for 3 years which messed up my GPA. Namely a semester where I took mechanical engineering courses when I wasn't sure what major I wanted to end up in. This ultimately led me to get 2 Ds and a C in the very same semester (in Statics / Dynamics, Thermodyanmics, and one other class). These classes did NOT count towards my degree that i received. I graduated in 5 years total.

-- Had a rough semester / year where I was going through personal hardship. Also was diagnosed with a learning disability 2nd year of college. (not sure if this matters or not).

Other education/coursework: Took a grad level Case Analysis (for MBA students) course during my undergrad. Got the highest grade in the class (only one A+ was given out, the professor was a Wharton MBA grad) . 3.5 GPA in some summer classes i took at a state university / CC over the summers.

Race/nationality/sex: Asian/Male/28

GMAT Score (converted from GRE): 750 GMAT (Q49, V42) (will retake since my score is no longer valid. it's been 5 years, may be lower or higher) , 5.5 GRE Writing / 6

Undergrad GPA: ~ 2.8/4.0 , major GPA: ~3.2/4.0, CC/State Summer Class GPA: 3.5 / 4.0

Goal of MBA: I want to have the business acumen and knowledge to apply my technical knowledge with to lead a tech company.

Target schools: Any Top 15-20 School.

Any advice on improving my profile would also be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 21:52
d3mentia wrote:
Work experience:

~7 years (all in Technical Consulting / Software Engineering)

- 2 years consulting with a small firm as a Business Systems Analyst , client was a major healthcare provider

- 1 year working with a large financial firm as a Product Manager

- 3.5 years working in Government as a contractor / technical consulting. Currently in a lead / managerial role.

- Founded my own start-up , had it for 2-3 years before selling off the little assets it had left.

Extracurriculars:

- Played a (not well known sport) nationally in College. Was ranked and sponsored.

- Some small volunteer work.

Undergrad school/major:

--BS in Ind. Mgmt / Engineering from a big state School where there is NO grade inflation, my programs are in the top 10 and top 20 nationally; respectively. A 2.7 = B- and we used a reverse bell curve for a lot of my engineering and math classes (i.e. University of Illinois / Purdue / Penn State). Was in Electrical Computer Engineering for 3 years which messed up my GPA. Namely a semester where I took mechanical engineering courses when I wasn't sure what major I wanted to end up in. This ultimately led me to get 2 Ds and a C in the very same semester (in Statics / Dynamics, Thermodyanmics, and one other class). These classes did NOT count towards my degree that i received. I graduated in 5 years total.

-- Had a rough semester / year where I was going through personal hardship. Also was diagnosed with a learning disability 2nd year of college. (not sure if this matters or not).

Other education/coursework: Took a grad level Case Analysis (for MBA students) course during my undergrad. Got the highest grade in the class (only one A+ was given out, the professor was a Wharton MBA grad) . 3.5 GPA in some summer classes i took at a state university / CC over the summers.

Race/nationality/sex: Asian/Male/28

GMAT Score (converted from GRE): 750 GMAT (Q49, V42) (will retake since my score is no longer valid. it's been 5 years, may be lower or higher) , 5.5 GRE Writing / 6

Undergrad GPA: ~ 2.8/4.0 , major GPA: ~3.2/4.0, CC/State Summer Class GPA: 3.5 / 4.0

Goal of MBA: I want to have the business acumen and knowledge to apply my technical knowledge with to lead a tech company.

Target schools: Any Top 15-20 School.

Any advice on improving my profile would also be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hi d3mentia!

Thanks for posting and providing a great amount of detail on your profile.

Let's break this down a bit:

Academic - while your GPA is going to be on the low end for t20 schools, I recommend using the optional essay to write about the mitigants you brought up (grade deflation, uncertainty, etc). On the positive side, a GMAT score of 750 is incredibly strong, and it's in your best interests to try and replicate that. Anything 730+ will help to lessen the pressures of a low GPA.

Career - Your experience looks like product management/consulting. I would want to know more about the firms you worked for and your positions at the firms, including promotions, number of direct reports, scope of projects, etc. Did you devote 100% of your time to your start-up or was it a side project? Without knowing more, it's difficult to make an assesment, but it seems like you have a good breadth of experience that you can elaborate on.

EC/Leadership - this section looks a bit lacking, so you'll have to play up your athletic achievements a bit and talk in depth about your voluteer work. Again, I would want to hear more about your background to see if there are any hobbies or passions which you could speak in more detail to in your application. If you can show leadership and personal development (of both you and others) in your professional life, it will also go a long way.

As someone recruiting for tech, I would focus on Fuqua, Ross, McCombs, Foster, and potentially Owen. These schools do very well in tech and will give you opportunities across coasts. Other schools to consider with a solid application could be Sloan, Haas, and UCLA, but I would place these more in the reach category. First things first, score well on the GMAT!

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you would like to discuss your candidacy in more detail!

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach

www.personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 03:02
Dear d3mentia

It sounds like you have a very interesting profile.

Your GPA is not high, but if you manage to score again a high GRE or GMAT, you will be able to show the schools you have academic ability.

Your work experience sounds great, and schools like to see progress or shift (as long as it is upwards). Your start up, and selling it / some of it, might also be something strong (obviously, we would love to hear more about this)

Extra curriculum sounds fine… I don’t think you need to add anything to that just for the sake of the MBA.

You might want to try out ARINGO’s MBA Admission Chances Calculator at - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/!

The tool is free and you needn’t even register to use it.

Your profile seems promising, so give the tool ago; you might be surprised at the schools you could get into!

Good Luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2018, 03:02

Which schools should i target? Which schools am i likely to get into?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap