GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which schools to apply in order to get good scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Which schools to apply in order to get good scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:28
Hi Everybody

I am from South America. My GMAT score is 690. I have almost six years of experience in Finance, Strategy and Business analytics departments.
My post MBA goal: career in Finance or analytics in US or my own country. I am looking for good schools with generous scholarship. I was researching and I found that Kelley MBA has a fellowship for Latin students that covers 60% tuition, does anyone know any scholarship for Latin students or can recommend any school where I could get good $?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Which schools to apply in order to get good scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 13:51
Hi, I wrote this article very recently for one of the national newspapers in India. I have tried to be very detailed. I hope you are able to draw the parallels as I have written the article keeping the Indian applicants in mind.

Your Dilemma: You tell me! What would you do? Would you take a $140K to $180K loan and go to MIT Sloan, Tuck, Columbia, or would you rather join Kelley with 50% scholarship.

Do you have a rich father who will fund your MBA? Or are you married, have a home loan, and are keen on an education that comes with maximum scholarship ( Even though at the cost of the Brand of the school you will join). What is your appetite for risk?

Coming back to the Original Dilemma:

WHO WILL FACE THIS DILEMMA: You could be an Indian Male with 5+ years of work experience and a 720+ score or an Indian Female applicant with 3+ years of work experience with again a 720+ Score.

If you are an Indian Female applicant with a GMAT =/> 730 or an Indian male applicant with a GMAT >/=740, you will have bigger $$$$ Dilemmas. For example, Vikram shared his decision to join Boston College with a 65 lakh Scholarship as opposed to joining Kelley with a 45 lac scholarship. Many of you met him, and he shared his reasons for these choices vividly. He was primarily driven by scholarships, and was not keen on taking a loan at all. Even though he had to give up a rank 20’ish school, and join a school below 30, he had his own risk appetite.

MORE CASES OF THESE DILEMMAS: VERY WIDE PATTERNS OF HOW THE INDIAN MIND WORKS AND HOW THE STUDENTS MADE THESE DECISIONS

One of the recently admitted applicants( Thomas) had a GMAT 700 and was given 100% tuition + Stipend from a US Rank 26’ish School( Michigan State University). His pockets were probably deeper than many others and he decided to go to Rotman by spending 80 lacs. He did have other reasons for joining Rotman. Getting a job with a bulge bracket investment bank was more important for him ( Even though in Toronto) than working for a role in operations in the United States. Industry/Function was more important for him than the country.

One of our applicants with a GMAT 730 got admitted to Columbia in the early bird round. Both he and I were happy with the results. I was happy as I knew that I will not have to work on his 5 other applications after this. He was happy as Columbia was GOD for him( It is that for many people for MANY MANY REASONS). He applied in the early bird round, and Columbia asked him to pull out his apps from all the other schools( Early Bird Clause: Google it if you do not know what I am talking about). He decided to do early bird round of Columbia despite knowing that he will have to give up any $$ that other schools might offer.

Someone I Spoke with Recently( Conversation with him inspired me to write this email). : He has a GMAT 730 and a diverse profile( Manufacturing + Automotive) and I liked his story. I would rather he applied to top SCHOOLS and took a shot at Wharton, MIT, Tuck, Darden, Duke, Ross. However, I realized that he was more keen on schools that will offer him more $$$$ Money as he wanted to be back in India right after the MBA. He was absolutely right in his reasons and I did not insist harder.

My Recommendations: You carry different risk appetites, and weigh the schools either by ranks or by $$. IT JUST DOES NOT MATTER. You should be satisfied with the choices you make.

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 09:30
I think you make a good point with really good examples.
In my case, I am trying to get more $$$ because I don´t have enough saving and I dont want to get a huge loan. Moreover, i think there are many good schools that can provide great education with a fantastic ROI. For instance, I friend told me that last year ASU was offering a full ride to all the MBA class.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 10:20
cesarucv wrote:
I think you make a good point with really good examples.
In my case, I am trying to get more $$$ because I don´t have enough saving and I dont want to get a huge loan. Moreover, i think there are many good schools that can provide great education with a fantastic ROI. For instance, I friend told me that last year ASU was offering a full ride to all the MBA class.

Thanks!

ASU did change their model a few years ago where they now offer free tuition - their numbers, stats, and rankings have jumped as the result. I am guessing they will reverse this trend in a little while but currently, they have access to a large number of high end scorers. ASU is the only school - all others, you won't be able to predict whether a scholarship will be offered. The more humble school you apply to, the greater chances of a scholarship (e.g. GMAT 650 average or GMAT 620 average). The only way to know for sure is to apply.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 05:43
If you want me to be very specific in my suggestions, send me your resume. Mail it to Jatin@pythagurus.com

MBA Programs do offer great scholarships. You got to make the right choices.

Send your resume. Let us see what doors can we knock.

thanks, Jatin

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which schools to apply in order to get good scholarship &nbs [#permalink] 04 Sep 2018, 05:43

Which schools to apply in order to get good scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap