It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While every person feels entitled to self-determination, a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

While every person feels entitled to self-determination, a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 17:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables sociologists to predict the level of self-determination one may eventually exhibit.

(A) every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(B) each person feels entitled to self-determination, peoples' genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enable

(C) all people feel entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(D) each person feel entitled to self-determination, peoples' genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(E) every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experience during the formative years enable

Please explain your answer.
Thanks!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: A bit confusing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 17:41
tarek99 wrote:
While every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables sociologists to predict the level of self-determination one may eventually exhibit.

(A) every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(B) each person feels entitled to self-determination, peoples' genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enable

(C) all people feel entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(D) each person feel entitled to self-determination, peoples' genetic makeup and the sociological factors experienced during the formative years enables

(E) every person feels entitled to self-determination, a person's genetic makeup and the sociological factors experience during the formative years enable

Please explain your answer.
Thanks!

Compound Subject genetic makeup and the sociological factors. Plural subject needs plural verb. Hence B & E remain. The non underlined part contains one may eventually exhibit.
suggesting that the referent needs to be singular. Hence E.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:10
agree with icandy. I pick E for the same reasons.

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:52
i dunno why i feel the answer is B..

shud it be "the sociological factors experience" (as in E) or "the sociological factors experienced" (as in B). I think it shud be because of this...

If not, someone please help !!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:54
abhishekv wrote:
i dunno why i feel the answer is B..

shud it be "the sociological factors experience" (as in E) or "the sociological factors experienced" (as in B). I think it shud be because of this...

If not, someone please help !!

I did not notice it. I still believe that it's a typo. I will be bummed if E has experience.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 23:30
Can some one explain choosing each vs. every??
Thank you!!

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 00:01
tarek, whats the QA, I am inclined towards E too .

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2008, 03:17
The OA is E, but I chose B. Would someone please explain why? and what's the difference between "each" and "every"? and what's wrong with B?
thanks!

for your information, there is no typo in this problem. I just copied the problem and then pasted it in this post. I didn't type a single word here, so it is 100% accurate.

EDIT: ok, according to the OE, "every" talks about every person or all the people within the population. As for "each", you're basically focusing only on the people that you're talking and you're implying that what holds true for those people doesn't hold the same for the rest of the population.

I know that I didn't make any typo, but may be there is a typo in the question itself regarding "experience" in option E. But I know for sure that there is no typo from my side.

Re: SC: A bit confusing   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2008, 03:17