It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

WHU Beisheim MiF vs LBS MFA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
WHU Beisheim MiF vs LBS MFA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 21:45
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of looking for a Master in Finance programme. My goal is to break into IB after graduation.

Profile:
Slightly above average GPA at non-target
GMAT 730/8/6 (shoutout to bunuel, you're the real MVP)
Several good internships in the last year, though only one with Finance relevance (wasn't sure about which career to progress until recently)

I'm already accepted at the WHU Beisheim. It's a very good Bschool in Germany - their MiM regularly ranks in the FT top 10. I'm also in the application process for the LBS Master in Financial Analysis. Judging from my correspondence with the admission office, I view my chances of getting in at about 50:50.

Now to my question - which school you think would give me a better chance of breaking into IB? I think the LBS has a stronger global brand. That being said, the MFA is a new programme and it's hard to gauge how it is perceived by employers. Also, tuition at LBS is twice that of WHU and the cost of living will be substantially higher as well.

In any event, I'd appreciate any input! Thank you very much in advance.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: WHU Beisheim MiF vs LBS MFA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 12:50
Welcome to GMAT Club and congrats on getting into WHU.

IBanking is a very elusive industry that you are not guaranteed to get into. Do both schools offer paths to companies you are looking to work? Are there many IB's in Germany or most of them in London? (which would make a pretty easy case for LBS) but then I don't know if perhaps there is a number of firms/banks in Frankfurt or that hire from WHU? (Again no guarantee you will be hired or picked but better chances are always better than no chances even if there is no guarantee)

How are your tech and programming skills? I am hearing that a lot of analysis and work is moving towards data crunching and automation and you will have to be tech savvy (i.e. know how to program in Python or in R) to break into such a competitive area as Investment Banking.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: WHU Beisheim MiF vs LBS MFA   [#permalink] 23 May 2017, 12:50

WHU Beisheim MiF vs LBS MFA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap