GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Why am i failing on verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.36
WE: Operations (Venture Capital)
Why am i failing on verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 01:45
Hi there,

My name is ataman. I'm from Turkey. I have graduated from a top tier university in Turkey with a 3.36 GPA. I've worked for a fund for a year and now I am in the telecom industry for 4.5 years.

I've always postponed my MBA dreams, but within COVID - 19, I have decided to study now.

My quantitative side is always good. After looking and practicing, I think I will be around Q48+ at least. The hard part is getting used to DS but now it doesn't hard at all also.

My main problem is Verbal. Right now, I am working on RC & CR on MGMAT book but couldn't able to understand well. Whenever I have tried to do examples, most of them are wrong. I think I am not dumb at all, but I couldn't understand why I am failing.

Please help me on how to resolve this failure circle.

Kind Regards,

A
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.2
Re: Why am i failing on verbal?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 03:01
Hi ataman we have all faced the same problem at some time.I will share my experience stidying CR from the mgmat books along with the powerscore CR bible.The first time i read them both i went straight into solving questions o could hardly cross the 50%efficiency mark.I read a post here on gmatclub where someone with a 700+ score had suggested how he/she read the cr bible 3-4 times during the course of the preparation.I realised my basics were not clear after i followed this advise
Now in your case you can try this method if your basic fundamental concepts are not clear you reckon.Also alternatively you can sign up for a verbal only on demand course since your quant score is already so high.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.36
WE: Operations (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 04:36
Dear toy9575,

Thanks for your reply. It is really kind of you.

I am already registered for the Magoosh GMAT course. I think I'm really stressing about this issue. That's why I make failure over failure again.

I think I will clear my mind and make it in a way you propose to me. My English wasn't bad at all. Around 7-7.5 Score range in the IELTS exam but this GMAT prep really makes me stressed and sad.

I hope everything is resolved and I can get the point that I desire.

KR,

Ataman
Sloan MIT School Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 06:22
ataman wrote:
Hi there,

My name is ataman. I'm from Turkey. I have graduated from a top tier university in Turkey with a 3.36 GPA. I've worked for a fund for a year and now I am in the telecom industry for 4.5 years.

I've always postponed my MBA dreams, but within COVID - 19, I have decided to study now.

My quantitative side is always good. After looking and practicing, I think I will be around Q48+ at least. The hard part is getting used to DS but now it doesn't hard at all also.

My main problem is Verbal. Right now, I am working on RC & CR on MGMAT book but couldn't able to understand well. Whenever I have tried to do examples, most of them are wrong. I think I am not dumb at all, but I couldn't understand why I am failing.

Please help me on how to resolve this failure circle.

Kind Regards,

A

This is normal for any test taker. In CR, Take a good look at the passage and see words that guide the passage, basically read critically. These words help you look for premise and conclusion, knowing which will help you address the gap - normally. Keep doing it from easiest questions to hardest level questions gradually.

In RC, try to read first in a similar approach - know where it is going and why and what may come ahead.
IELTS is way too easy in comparison to GMAT verbal. For GMAT better read NYT, WSJ and Economist articles parallely solving RC passages.

If you improve in CR passage, RC might eventually improve.
V
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 07:10
Hmm perhaps master SC first.

I am afraid that lack of understanding in sentence meaning may hinder test takers to perform well in CR and RC.

In addition, you can learn from powerscore CR bible. I don't use it because CR feels natural to me by practicing OG2019 last time.

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 12:18
Hi Ataman,

Many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you are early-on in your studies, then you should not expect to have mastered any aspects of the GMAT just yet.

From your message, it is not clear how long you have been studying, but have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet? If you have not, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can access 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your overall Goal Score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 01:00
Hi ataman

Thanks for reaching out on the forum, it feels good to see you coming out and asking for advice.

Before we delve into strategies to improve Verbal, you must

• Set a Target Score
    • Make a study plan to reach that target score

Doing this will make your preparation focused on the target which is the most efficient way to study. A study plan would also help you estimate the amount of time you would need to study and thereby when to plan the test.

We have helped more than 25,000 people in last 1 year in achieving their target of a good GMAT score. Maximum people attributed their success to the structured process which we suggested them. I suggest you break your preparation into 3 stages and follow the below plan:

Stage – 1 --> Learn the concepts
    Stage – 2 --> Cement the concepts by practicing a sub-section in Isolation
    Stage – 3 --> Become test ready (practicing all the sub-sections together)

You should not directly jump to solving questions without learning the concepts. This is a trial-and-error based preparation methodology which cause a two-fold problem:

1. It increases your preparation time by up-to 5X.
    2. You tend to miss out on concepts even after solving many questions.

Prawee (550 to 740) used all the books and local coaching classes but was unable to improve her GMAT score beyond a certain point. She changed her approach and finally scored 740 in her 5th attempt and got a $180,000 fellowship cumulatively from 3 top business schools. She is currently pursuing MBA from Kellogg. Kellogg was once not even on her radar.

7 Steps – How to score 700+ on the GMAT

You can start your preparation by giving a mock to test your current ability.

Hope the above strategy get you to your target score

e-GMAT strategy Expert
Re: Why am i failing on verbal?   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2020, 01:00

Why am i failing on verbal?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep