It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Why, dear lord why? 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Why, dear lord why? 600 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 14:24
Why, dear lord why?

Well, I just got home from the testing center a few hours ago.

I have been studying mostly with Kaplan materials, some on the web, and I have done the two free tests from GMAC among other things.

I have been getting around 90% of the quantitative right, and have been doing better than that on the verbal.

On the first practice CAT from GMAC, I got a 730, on the second a 700. On the one test included in my program from Kaplan, I got a 680 (and I hear those are supposed to be harder so that Kaplan will keep you studying and buying their materials).

I got a 39 on the verbal, okay for me because I usually make it up in the quantitative... 33.

I was not nervous or anxious, lacking confidence, nor was I overconfident. After leaving the testing center I was all of those things except overconfident.

I usually do well on tests. How did I get a 600?

Last edited by HarrisonBP on 10 Sep 2008, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Re: Why, dear lord why? 600 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:02
Sorry to hear about that, man. A 600, however, may not sink your b-school application. If you have a solid GPA, work experience, and can write some killer essays, based on the statistics that I have seen, you should still be able to get into a top 25 program (provided that you apply decision 1).

That being said, let's try to figure out what went wrong and maybe there is still time to re-take.

Why don't you go ahead and take one of the CATs over and note every question that you got wrong. Even if you score higher, it stands to reason that the question types that you got wrong are of the same types as the ones that you got wrong on test day. Because of the CAT nature of the test, you may have hit a rough first couple questions (of types that you are weaker on) that sent your score plummeting and even if you got a lot of later questions right, you might have been unable to climb out of that rut.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:13
i "re-taking" sounds awful but you might want to consider it...i got a 650 and i'm wrestling with the re-take question myself.

also, lever...awesome photo.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 20:22
I have decided I will retake the test. I know my weakness - data sufficiency. Now that you mention it, there were quite a few at the beginning of the test.

Well, after a few hours of wrenching (and only a little retching) on the Jeep, I feel somewhat better.

Does anyone know if there are good books or programs directed specifically towards data sufficiency?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 03:47
HarrisonBP wrote:
Why, dear lord why?

Well, I just got home from the testing center a few hours ago.

I have been studying mostly with Kaplan materials, some on the web, and I have done the two free tests from GMAC among other things.

I have been getting around 90% of the quantitative right, and have been doing better than that on the verbal.

On the first practice CAT from GMAC, I got a 730, on the second a 700. On the one test included in my program from Kaplan, I got a 680 (and I hear those are supposed to be harder so that Kaplan will keep you studying and buying their materials).

I got a 39 on the verbal, okay for me because I usually make it up in the quantitative... 33.

I was not nervous or anxious, lacking confidence, nor was I overconfident. After leaving the testing center I was all of those things except overconfident.

I usually do well on tests. How did I get a 600?

Buddy, I share the same experience. Something has happened to the GMAT lately. I was scoring good on all the practice tests be it MGMATs, or the Prep tests.. I was always near 680. But on the actual GMAT i scored was a disappointing 600(q47v27).. I completely bombed in verbal.. n screwwed it up big time...I used to score somewhere near 36-37 on all the practice tests... One of the most imp reasons behind this is that i got too tired by the time I reached verbal section. I never practiced any of the tests with AWAs... and on the actual tests... I got a feeling that I was losing my concentration in the verbal section. But maybe, the GMAT has adapted a little. I see many people complaining here that they are scoring high in the practice tests but their gmat is getting screwed up. GMAT is really getting harder than most of su considered it to be.

Planning a retest in a month. But this time.. I'll make sure that I am atelast close to 750s on the practice tests!

Just Do It!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:48
aspirando wrote:

also, lever...awesome photo.

Thanks! I thought it looked appropriately "business-y"!

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:54
I mate of mine got into Columbia with 620.
So, don't stress.
Impress em with other aspects of your candidature.
Krdgs

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 07:56
"A mate of mine"....correction

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 22:25
I appreciate the support, but does anyone know of a good system with which to study data sufficiency and maybe some number properties stuff?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 10:19
i feel you i took it yestreday and got a 600 too after getting between 660- 700 on the gmatprep practice. is taking it again in 3 weeks too soon? i'm applying for 1st round for michigan and deadline is 10/10!!

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Why, dear lord why? 600   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2008, 10:19

Why, dear lord why? 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap